What should I do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What should I do? What should I do?

Thread Tools
Unread 02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
What should I do?

Hi Ladies,

I would like some advise. I have an IUD that has to be removed. I have had it a long time and just started spotting. My gyno has been unable to remove it in his office. He sent me for an ultrasound to see if it is embedded and to check the lining of my uterus.T he radiologist said there was a thickening in my uterus.

Although my gyno believes the thickening is due to the long time the IUD has been in the uterus (20+yrs), my gyno scheduled me for a D and C to remove the IUD and biopsy the uterus. A gyno surgeon will be present.

I am concerned about having the right person doing this incase I have cancer. My gyno says that if he has trouble removing the IUD he will do a vaginal hystorectomy, which will incude the removal of my ovaries.

At this time, I have an appt at Sloane Kettering for a second opinion and possibly have them do the proceedure. My (female) general practitioner, suggested that I only have the D and C: remove the IUD (hopefully) and biopsy the lining. If necessary, from there pursue the Sloane Kettering angle.
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-10-2004, 05:23 AM
What should I do?

Hi Walkteach -

I read your other post as well, and it does seem to me a good plan to first have the D&C, remove the IUD and when you have the pathology back, you can make an informed decision at that point (just my opinion, of course).

I knew I had endo ca. prior to my surgery (had the ultrasound followed by a biopsy at my gyn's office). When we got the results I was immediately referred to a gynecologist oncologist who told me that she would NOT do a vaginal hyst. as she wanted to be able to get a very good look around inside.

Good luck with your decision -
Unread 02-10-2004, 06:31 AM
What should I do?


I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this situation--the uncertainties are the worst part, at times. Even the hint of cancer is a scary thing to deal with.

You need to do whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm no expert, but certainly you and your doctors will be able to determine the best plan.

Know that you're being kept in prayer.


Sponsored Links

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


Hysterectomy News

May 8,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!