any advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-20-2004, 09:16 PM
any advice

I have this horrible fear of the IV I know that sounds bad but that is what scares me more than any of it any one have any idea's on how to relax and get over this part of the experance? I had a really bad experance with a needle and a nurse on time and now I am scard of them plus every time I have had to have on they never never get it on the first try. The hospital that I went to last time numbed the site before putting it in but I have no idea if they do where I am going the time. Do you think that it is okay to ask them to numb the site before hand. I don't want to sound like a baby but I just have a bad time with this part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2004, 09:20 PM
any advice

I'm sure they will numb the site for you. I always ask for the shot and the spray. First, they spray this numbing stuff on your hand/wrist. Then they give a couple of shots of lidocaine. Tiny needles, stings just a little bit. When the IV finally went in, I didn't even feel it! I'm sure when you're in pre-op you can tell them you want the shot and/or the spray.

Good luck, and I will be praying for you!
Unread 06-20-2004, 09:24 PM
any advice

I totally understand your fear! I had a phobia about IV's, thanks to a bad experience 27 years ago when I had my first baby. But this time, I handled it well, if I do say so myself. My method is to "put myself somewhere else". In other words, I take a mental trip outside my body and think about doing something that I enjoy. I concentrate on doing this pleasurable thing (for me, that would be riding my horse!), and it makes the unpleasant thing pass by quickly and much easier. Just remember that the discomfort will last only a fleeting second, and then it will all be over with. Work on your mind control and put yourself somewhere else during that fleeting second. Concentrate on breathing normally, too. Any time you hold your breath, it makes things worse. This method works for me, and I hope it will work for you.

And as an added note, I do believe they are using smaller needles and/or are more skilled at inserting IV's now than a few years ago. It really wasn't as bad as before. And I am being totally honest! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
any advice

I'm a huge needle-o-phobe so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Definitely ask them to numb the site. I'd even venture to have them numb a larger area around the site than what they might usually do. That might help. My trick is to never look at the needle going in and make sure they have warm towels to put around the arm so that the fluid doesn't feel so weird going in. That helped me a lot.

Best of luck!
Unread 06-20-2004, 11:31 PM
IV Pain

You have every right to request pain management on any level. Every hospital has EMLA creme, which is applied thickly to the IV site, or sites in case they can't use one, about one hour before the IV (or blood draw). The creme is covered with a clear bandage and as it sits it numbs the area. No needles, no pricks. If you have very poor veins, it may make it harder to get a stick the first time as it does relax the veins as well and they may roll. At Children's hospital here in Phoenix, it is strict procedure that every patient have the option of EMLA. (BTW, you pronounce it just like it is spelled).

Best Wishes to YOU!
Unread 06-20-2004, 11:57 PM
any advice

Thank you everyone I do not want to sound like a baby but it sounds like I have the right to ask and that they should honor me in asking. I have cryed when they tell me that they are going to put an IV in and they look at me like get over it but this is a fear that I have and can not seem to get over.
Unread 06-21-2004, 12:07 AM
any advice

I used to hyperventalate every time I got stuck with a needle. A nure taught me the coolest trick though she said to force myself to laugh when the needle hit. I felt so stupid doing it I didn't even think about the needle. I can do it now mentally and my fear of needles is gone but I have noticed that when you do it lessens the pain. Also very important not to move or tense...forcibly make your hand relax. Concentrate as hard as you can on relaxing no matter what and the pain is less.
Unread 06-21-2004, 12:15 AM
any advice

Don't feel like a baby. We all have our fears and quirks. I used to be terribly afraid of needles...even just having a blood test. They do have numbing agents and more than likely will use it, but ask for it just in case. Let them know your fears, they want you to be relaxed. Some nurses are better than others, and by knowing your fears, they can utilize someone with better "needle skills." Also look away and talk about something, by talking you won't end up holding your breath which will make you tense up.

Good luck honey, and I know it's easier said than done, but relax, it will all be alright!
Unread 06-21-2004, 05:20 AM
any advice

I have been thinking about my IV too. They don't seem to go well for me either--poke search 'make a fist'..I get through it but by the time they get it set its usually to the inside of my left wrist--and it hurts! I can take the pain, I can take the surgery but the thought of the 'recon mission' to find the perfect vein gives me the dreads! I didn't know they could numb the site--no one has ever offered that to me before--but I am definitely going to request it.
another peice of advice to carry with me--this site is loaded with good stuff!
Unread 06-21-2004, 06:15 AM
any advice

My biggest fear was the IV also. I told the nurse that whoever does my IV has ONE OPPORTUNITY to do it, otherwise they were going to have to knock me out another way.

The nurse was very comforting and explained how I wouldn't feel the needle because the area would be numb. She was right, although it took a needle to numb the area first. She said I should relax because it makes it easier to get the IV inserted (easy for her to say!). Bottom line, everything went sooooo much better than I dreamed it would, and I was thinking positive!

So, think tranquil thoughts, express your concerns, and hopefully it will be over before you know it.

Good luck.
Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register