realistic recovery expectations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

realistic recovery expectations realistic recovery expectations

Unread 10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
realistic recovery expectations

Hello - hoping voices of experience can guide me re expectations of recovery. Hyst sched'd for Nov 22 - planning/hoping for vaginal, but dr described size of fibroid as borderline/may have to change to abdominal. He said 4 wks recov is normal for vag, 6-8 for abdom.
I am 45 yrs - self employed w/a small daycare. Normal workweek is M-F approx 10 hours/day & very active caring for 6 chldrn - current clients age range from 7 mos to yrs - 2 are not yet walking - 1 is 17 lbs, 1 is 25 lbs. Also looking fwd to ski season, snowshoeing etc w/my family after recovery.
What is realisitic to expect after 4 weeks if the vag is possible? I realize we are all different & there's no absolutes, but am trying to plan realistically -
Would appreciate hearing from anyone w/similar! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2004, 08:25 PM

By 4 four weeks (TVH) I was feeling much better. But I still needed to take a nap in the middle of the day. I went back to work between the 5th & 6th week but only for 1/2 day. I was still tired. The doctor wouldn't even let me drive the car I don't think until my 4 week check-up. And believe me, the first time out, I was a little nervous!

Everybody has a different recovery. You will be quite bruised on the inside. I don't think I could have gone skiing. But I did do a lot of walking. And once I could lift things again, I went backpacking. (That was probably 8 weeks after surgery.) However, my pack was pretty light. We hiked all of the Appalachian Trail in Maryland that summer (40 miles) in weekend spurts. It was a great way to build strength during recovery!

Kathy
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:42 PM

Hi!

I felt super at 4 weeks! But, I wasn't released by my doctor to lift over 10 pounds until 6 weeks and even at that point he told me to ease back into it...not to go home and start weight lifting. He told me my recovery would be about 6 weeks and it pretty much was. I began slowly getting back into the game of housework, laundry, etc. at the 6 week mark.

I found that just listening to my body throughout was the best I could do. I hope you have a good surgery and a very uneventful recovery!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2004, 11:40 PM

I feel like I'm running a daycare, and they're my own children! I have 5 kids 7 & under. I had a vaginal hyst on the 6th of Oct and I'm still very tender. I couldn't imagine, nearing my 2 week postop date, being able to run a daycare, who knows what 2 more weeks of healing will make me feel like. We do heal differently, some have more complications than others.

If I were in your shoes, I would inform the parents probably now so they could find alternative care while you're out of commission, and let them know to plan on 6-8 weeks leave of absense just in case the doc has to do an abdominal incision. The absolute last thing I would want to have happen to me w/ an abd. incision is to have kids jumping all around me. My daughter was leaning in for a hug the other day and lost her footing, I ended up w/ her elbow in my lower right abdomin, and I nearly passed out, scared the poor child to death, but it hurt like you know what and I sure wasn't too quiet about it.

My experience from having a vaginal hyst: This surgery is NOTHING like having a baby. I have never been so tired, sore, achy, constipated and TIRED in my life! I am so jealous of you who say that your recovery has been like recovering from childbirth. If only it were that easy for me. What has been the hardest for me is the lack of energy, because it takes energy to keep up with kids. If you can jump back into a daycare 4 weeks postop, you are considered superwoman in my mind, and I hope that in 2 weeks I'll feel like superwoman! marcee
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:59 AM

I had a TAH 11 days ago and have been off the pain meds for 6 days now. I feel almost back to normal and havent once needed a midday nap.

The tenderness on the tummy is also nearly gone but I have really done very little since coming home from hospital.

I have had family help me with the washing, ironing housework and cooking so I have given myself the best chance of healing possible.

Today I went out for breakfast with friends and then went and looked around at the shops. I must admit that after a few hours I did feel a bit tired (I'm normally extremely active and very fit).

I am off work for 6 1/2 weeks and have another 5 to go. I am going to relax and enjoy my time off and give my body plenty of time to heal.

I really cant imagine having to look after small children and even being able to lift them up so soon after surgery. You must be careful as you may have lots of internal stitches that could be damaged from physical work.

I have been told not to lift my arms above my head for 6 weeks as this could also rip the stitches. I havent even blow dried my hair for this reason.

So make sure you are very careful and you will also have a smooth recovery!

Good Luck!
Unread 11-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Thank you all, ladies, for your input. The voices of experience have been so helpful for me in trying to prepare.
Marcee, now that more time has passed how is going w/the kids?
Thank you again to all!
Unread 11-09-2004, 01:58 PM

RubySue
It's now been 5 weeks postop and I now feel like I could run a daycare. It's amazing how a week or two makes all the difference in the world! My energy level is still a little below normal, but other than that, I do feel normal. Here's to a quick recovery on your part, and good luck on your upcoming surgery!
marcee
Unread 11-09-2004, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the update, Marcee!
I'm glad to hear it's going well for you.
Your reassuring words are well-timed, too....yesterday was my "2 weeks until " date & it seemed just knowing that has sent me into AnxietyOverdrive. part of me wants the next 2 weeks just over with so I can just begin Recovering & getting this behind me. the other part of me wants to stop time completely cos I'm shakin' in my shoes.
I SOOOOOOO appreciate this site and all the sharing of experiences, that help us be more well-informed and encouraged.

I hope you continue along feeling LOTS better quickly !
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:16 PM

Im 6 weeks from a tah, and I' feel fab and have since 3 weeks. Doing all previous activity, walking, house work, work. I'm planning on starting swimming laps this week, and thinking of brining the bike out, during some nice days. Terried of being 30-40 pounds over weight, my dr always told me not to diet, but eat sensibly when I was anemic, and so i figure now is the time to get on the diet and exercise band wagon, plus i want to fit back into my cloths. I don't get tired, i sleep through the nights,life couldn't be better. Stay positive and things will work themselfs out.

ps i went back to work part time at 2.5 weeks,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register