Doctor pre-op vs. Hospital pre-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor pre-op vs. Hospital pre-op? Doctor pre-op vs. Hospital pre-op?

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Doctor pre-op vs. Hospital pre-op?

To the best of my knowledge, I'm only scheduled for a pre-op with my doctor. The hospital called me a week or so ago and did a pre-reg process with me over the phone, and scheduled me for phone pre-op with the anesthesiologist. The day prior to surgery, I go over to the hospital to be typed & crossed in case I need a transfusion - as well as for any last minute bloodwork (CBC, iron, etc.). Other than that, I've just been advised to arrive at the hospital 1 hour prior to my surgery time.

Am I missing something? I read elsewhere that it's customary to do pre-op with both your doctor and the hospital. Should I be going in to go over policy and procedure at the hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM

My pre-op is with the hospital tomorrow. I don't know what they will do, but I don't have a pre-op at all with my doctor. At my last visit, he just talked to me about it, gave me written instructions and sent me on my way.
Unread 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM

My process went exactly as you described. I did have to do some in-person registration stuff when I went to do the blood test, so bring your insurance info along. They mailed me a bunch of paperwork and a little booklet on Pre-Op Hints beforehand as well.

The day of surgery I went to the PreOp area where I was physically prepped and my records were started online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM

I'm in New Zealand, so obviously things will be different, but I had an appointment with my surgeon 2 months before where he gave me options, I chose them (I already knew what I had to do) and he scheduled my surgery.
I just then got a package in the mail that gave me all my details for the hospital and the form to go and get my blood work done (there is a separately facility here where you go and get the blood tests done). I also got a script for the bowel prep.

Then the next time i saw him or the anaesthetist was in hospital while waiting for my surgery! All very efficient

Hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM

my pre-op was with my dr. i met the anesthesiologists the morning of the surgery and we went over some meds i was on and they listened to my heart/lungs. i pre-registered all my personal info over the phone with the hospital a few weeks before. thats about all i had.
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM

I had another consult with my doc on November 3rd. We knew that I would eventually have the surgery, he was just waiting on me to be ready to do it for myself. We scheduled my surgery, and he gave me all the instructions I needed and told me to feel free to call anytime I had questions. So far, I haven't heard from the hospital. My surgery is scheduled for Dec 13. My doc told me to arrive at the hospital at 6am and my surgery would be at 7:30am. I have no health issues aside from the "female" ones, so maybe that has something to do with whether you do a longer pre-op or not. I'm not sure though.
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM

I went to the hospital a few weeks before surgery. They did the vitals (weight, bp, pulse, etc.) They drew blood and I gave a urine sample. They went over meds and history. Back in July I had a D&C. Prior to that the hospital also required an EKG and a chest X-ray as part of the pre-op. I didn't have to go through those again this time.

The Friday before my surgery (which was on Monday) I went to my doc's basically to sign the consent form. I probably wouldn't have had to do that if I had signed them at our previous meeting but I hadn't made my final decision at that point.

On the morning of my surgery I had to go to the lab to be typed and Xmatched. I hadn't expected that and it made me a little nervous.

Then the surgeon and the anesthesiologist both came and talked to me while I waited in my pre-op room.
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:29 PM

What you describe is what I call my hospital pre-op. I will have all of my blood work done. A chest x-ray if I hadn't had one in the last year. And to meet with the anes. I already had the pre-op with my doctor. He did that when we scheduled the surgery on Nov 12
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:38 PM

I kind of wish I were going to go meet with the anesthesiologist in person and, maybe after I talk on the phone, they might want me to. I'm fighting off a sinus infection, so I'd really like for them to give my lungs a good listen (I also have mild asthma).

Haven't heard anything about wanting an x-ray or EKG, just some blood.
Unread 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM

I had my pre-op this past monday. I meet with my OB/GYN and Medical Doctor. I had to get clearance from both to go ahead with my procedures. I also had to give blood and urine. I had to pre-register and pay my deductible ($250).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register