After SAH, would I still have my period? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After SAH, would I still have my period? After SAH, would I still have my period?

Unread 03-17-2005, 04:26 AM
After SAH, would I still have my period?

I am kinda of confused. Would I still have my period if my uterus was removed?

I am 15 days post-op - had a SAH. I did not spot/stain/bleed the past 10 days until now - on the 15th day. And today is the usual day of the month to start my period if I had not done the SAH.

I have a little spotting plus some bits and pieces of membrane-like tissue.

Wonder if the above is normal?

My belly is slightly swelly and am not experiencing any pain, unless I press real hard on the swell area.

Would appreciate any comments from Hyster-sisters here. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 04:31 AM

I'm almost 5 months post op and I still have a regular monthly period - not spotting, a full 3-4 day medium flow period.
Unread 03-17-2005, 04:45 AM

You didn't mention whether you kept ovaries or not. If you kept at least one ovary along with you SAH it is possible (5-7% chance) that you could still have "mini periods". I had my SAH, kept both ovaries, 11-22-04 and even though the doctor told me he did everything he could to my cervix to keep them away I'm beginning to think I have them. Every 4 weeks since my surgery I have had one day of when I wipe it's pink (happened 3 months in row now). I can live with this as long as it doesn't get any worse but I'm still planning on calling if it happens again next month. My next appt. is not until July. And swelly belly is very common only 2 weeks post so don't worry about that. And my stomach is still tender sometimes, especially when I overdo like I did this past weekend--weed eated, trimmed hedges, raked, really paid for it!

But if you're worried I would call doctor.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 06:45 AM

I didn't know you could get periods once the uterus was gone, unless some of the tissue that produces it is somewhere else, like around the cervix? I guess that's considered endometriosis? There must be a good explanation as to what is causing this, i would check with your doctor to find out what's going on.

But I haven't had any signs of having a period since my SAH last year, not a spot, and its a Wonderful thing not to have them anymore. I know i still get PMS though, but no more cramping and pain in the belly anymore.

Take care
Unread 03-17-2005, 07:04 AM
SAH and Period

My understanding is with a SAH you have you uteris taken out but not your cervex. In leaving the cervex you can still have a little of the uterus attached to the cervex thus giving you the chance of still having mini periods because the small part of the uteris still attached still sluffs off the lining it builds as with a regular period would do. Im not a dr but that is my understanding. That is why i had my cervex taken out too so there was NO NO NO chance of ever having a period again i didnt want to go through this operation and still have a period. Some women who keep their cervex get lucky with SAH and dont have a period but some do just depends on the person.
Tango
Unread 03-17-2005, 08:27 PM

I had SAH/BSO 4 months ago and am taking hormones. For the last 2 or 3 months, I've had some very minor spotting for a few days every month. My doctor said he is not concerned since I still have my cervix.
Unread 03-18-2005, 07:12 AM

Hi Rose,
I had the same experience as you -- SAH with no spotting until now and I think I'm getting the mini period, too. I'm kind of FURIOUS! I just did not ever want to see this again. On the other hand, I wanted to keep my cervix because, well, you just never know if it's going to help with pelvic support, sex, and bladder so I went with the doc's suggestion. It seems like every time there is a small percentage of people who will experience something, it's ME! Sigh.
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM

Wow! Thank you Hyster-Sisters for offering your comments. I am more relieved now with all the additional information.

I had a SAH, kept both ovaries and cervix. Had to do the SAH due focal complex hyperplasia atypical cells found in my uterus. That means there is a risk of me progressing to uterine cancer if I have left my condition as is. My Dr has since confirmed that all is clear after my op.

My Dr did remove a little of the endocervical canal. He had earlier suggested that I removed my cervix but I was concerned with bladder control (esp in old age), sex, etc. So, my cervix remained and I promised to do my annual paps.

Gee... I would be terribly disappointed if I continue to have mini-periods. I do hope this is just one off or gradually taper off.

My next appt with Dr is on 28 March. I will question him and come back on with answers.

You all have a good day/night (wherever you may be!).

I am in Singapore and its 27 mins past midnight on Saturday, 19 March 2005.

Got to hit the sack now...
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM

My understanding was if you had your ovaries taken out you wouldn't get a mini period??? I need some more info. Any body know????
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:46 AM

As my doctor explained it to me, the uterus is shaped like an upside down pear. A little bit of the neck of the pear is kept, cored out or cauterized and then tied up like a pouch (to keep your bowels from descending into the vagina). It is possible for some endometrial tissue to lurk inside that little pouch or in the canal of the cervix itself.

Your doctor SHOULD have explained this to you at the time of your decision to have surgery.

About 5-7% of women who keep their ovaries and their cervix get a "mini-period". Some have it later go away - either the endometrium dies off or the ovaries cease to produce levels of hormones high enough to give a period.

You will not know for sure until you've had 3 or 4 cycles after surgery for sure. Bleeding and bits of tissue and/or clots anytime up to 8 weeks is perfectly normal and does not mean that you're having a period.

If you have your ovaries removed but are on HRT at levels high enough to duplicate your normal cycle it is possible to have bleeding. This would be more akin to breakthrough bleeding that women on the pill experience. An adjustment of your HRT would be in order to prevent that. If you are NOT on HRT, have no ovaries and it has been more than 8 weeks since your sugery and are experiencing bleeding, it is definitely something to talk to your doctor about immediately.

I have this mini period - in fact, I have it right now and I forget sometimes to put on a panty liner because it is rather light, usually just blood when I wipe.

Some women have been able to go back and get further treatment for the bleeding getting cauterized, frozen or silver nitrate. There are some risks to the treatments, though, especially if they need to get inside the cervix - they can pierce the cervical pouch and there is a slight chance of infection (as there would be with most procedures of this kind). It can also be rather uncomfortable.

I talked it over with my doctor and decided not to opt for treatment for the mini-period. If the bleeding were heavy or more like a normal period, I would likely feel differently.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register