New and scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and scared! New and scared!

Unread 10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
New and scared!

Hi everyone! I am have a hysterectomy Oct 26 and I am glad to read some of the other posts saying this is all they can think about and yet have so much to do. I just want this over, but I am so scared about recovery and they might also do bladder repair also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM
New and scared!

Hi pirates,
It's normal to be scared but reading about it helps prepare you. The best thing you can do now is get your house ready - a comfy place to recuperate, a table beside your bed, some books or movies, healthy snacks etc etc. Good luck!
Unread 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
New and scared!

Glad you found the site befor surgery. the wait is always hardest part. Keeping busy helps. getting every thing ready is a great distraction . for the whole month befor surgery all i thought about was it too. but i kept busy and it helped. this site helped me too.
big hugs
Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2007, 10:10 PM
New and scared!

Pirates: It is very normal to be scared especially if you haven't had very many operations previously. I only had two previous ones before this one (a D and C and wisdom teeth removal!)

The waiting is the worst part!! You just need to keep busy between now and then. You will be soooo glad to get this over with. The recovery isn't/wasn't so bad. I had heard that there was a possibility of nausea after the operation so I asked them to give me anti-nausea drugs with my pain meds....it worked!!

I also had bladder repair....I am very happy with the result. It was a good decision for me to get it all taken care of.

I agree with everyone about getting the room ready when you get back from the "castle" and making sure you have plenty of books to read and movies to watch. Glad that you did find Hystersisters....really a great bunch of gals here!

Best wishes to you!
------
TAH/BSO bladder sling. 52 years young.
Unread 10-13-2007, 10:33 PM
New and scared!

Hi Pirates,

It is a scary thought that looms inside of my head--my upcoming surgery (Nov 28th). I just found this site last week and have been delighted to find people sharing their personal experiences. The more descriptive information I receive, the better I feel. Maybe I'm strange, but I like to know precisely what to expect...it calms me.

Hugs to you!
Heather
- age 36
Unread 10-13-2007, 10:49 PM
New and scared!

Welcome, Pirates and Heather! You are among sisters, now and we are glad you are here! Fears beforehand are normal. Any time you are starting to feel afraid or overwhelmed, jump on here, ask questions, read articles, join in conversations. We are here for you anytime!!
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:39 PM
New and scared!

It is normal to feel apprehensive about your upcoming surgery.

As others have said, it helps to be informed. I suggest that you read everything you can on this site and make a list of questions for your doctor.
This way you are more prepared for the recovery and for any complications, should they arise.

Waiting is hard, but I don't think it's the hardest part. While the pain is usually controllable with medication, the recovery isn't always a piece of cake. For me, being so physically exhausted was harder than the wait. But everyone's situation is different. Some people have an easier time than others.

Even though I had a few things that presented challenges, I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It depends on what procedures are being done, if there are complications, and what your pain tolerance is.

I don't say this to scare you. I just think you should be aware that this is major surgery. You also need to inform your family about the operation so they know that you will need a lot of rest and a lot of help from them. You should ask your surgeon if he/she considers you to be a high risk patient, and what , if any, complications there might be with a bladder repair, ect.

While waiting, unless I was on the Hystersisters site, I tried to just put it out of my mind. It wasn't always easy but it kept me from driving myself crazy. If I had worried about the operation all of the time, I'd have walked around crying all day. That just makes you feel worse. You'll obviously think about it at times, but you can try to focus on other things and it will help you relax a bit. I know it can be done! I'm a big baby when it comes to hospital, needles, and doctors. I just decided that I didn't have a choice. I needed the operation. I knew that my doctor was well educated and prepared for whatever happened. This is what I concentrated on when those negative thoughts seeped through.

I hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 10-14-2007, 12:58 AM
New and scared!

Hi Pirates

I see your op is near the time of mine so just wanted to say hi and to tell you I feel the same. I also have to have a bladder repair as i have cystocele and stress incontinence. It does make you nervous thinking about having all this work done in one go but at least it will be over with and by Christmas we will be new women.

This site is great to have people to chat too going through the same things at the same time is really helpful. Also, all the experience and helpful notes from our sisters post op.

Keep chatting

Heather - 40

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register