What happens at pre op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What happens at pre op? What happens at pre op?

Unread 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM
What happens at pre op?

I am to see the surgeon on the 23rd for pre op..what happens then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Re: What happens at pre op?

I had my preop yesterday. I didn;t talk to the surgeon, but i talked to the admittance department, that was the woman who contacted my insurance and talked to me about how the insurance works. Next, I went to the short term surgery dept and talked to the nurse about what was going to happen te day of my surgery. She gave me paperwork, on everything. I also spoke to the anethesiologist . Next I had blood work done, and an EKG. After that, I was allowed to leave. My appt was an hour and a half long.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM

So the EKG is normal procedure for everyone? What do they do with the blood work? What are they testing for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure what they do bloodwork for,but I'm thinking it may have to do with your iron count. I guess they want to know ahead of time f they need to do a transfusion or not. I think they also can tell what blood type you are.
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM

they also do a pregency test at least they do in canada since if u r preggo they will not do the surgery
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM

My surgeon listened to my heart and lungs and did blood work. I'm not sure what all they test for, but I know one of the tests is to find out your blood type. I think the others are making sure you don't have an active infection and you are healthy enough for surgery. Pregnancy tests are mandatory for any pre-menopausal patients as far as I know.

I did not have an EKG, but I don't know if that is because of my age or what.

Pre-op is nothing to stress over. Just making sure you are okay to go ahead with the surgery and to make sure you understand what it is you are having done.

Thoughts and prayers to you for your upcoming surgery.
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM

My obgyn just did a general once over, blood pressure. The sent me to the hospital ( next building over) to get blood drawn.
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:31 PM

seems simple enough..still worried about my sprained left arm..I have a mini farm and sprained it about a week ago..supposed to keep it wrapped for a few weeks and Im worried it will interfere with the surgery procedure?
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM

My pre-op is the 22nd and I am scheduled to talk with my surgeon and then head over to the hospital to register.
I have already had a call from the hospital to pre-register and today got a call from the anesthesiologist to answer health questions.
Since I just had a full blood workup from my PCP, they will only do a blood type and screen and of course, make sure I am not pregnant.
My surgery is the next day (Aug. 23rd) and I have been freaking out! I read a bunch of the articles from the positive articles and that really helped a LOT! Just search "Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories Articles" I know I got there through a page where I could choose the type of surgery but now I can't find that page.
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Shouldn't be an issue. You have another arm for blood pressure and IV hookup I had a Lap done in 2002 and I can't imagine that a wrapped arm would have been an issue but you can do like I do and call your doctor's nurse to make sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register