Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Nov 28, 2021 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Nov 28, 2021 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Nov 28, 2021

Unread 11-28-2021, 02:01 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Nov 28, 2021

Hi I'm Rachel from Ohio. I already posted once below but here I am again whoops I am 41 and having DaVinci robotic hysterectomy on Tues. Nov. 30. Keeping my ovaries.
Has anybody here had the DaVinci robotic and can talk about recovery time?
My procedure is supposed to be outpatient - has anyone here had that and gone home the same day? Scared of going home before I'm well enough.
Also I'm terrified of not getting enough pain meds after surgery...my dr said they only give a few days of oxy....I figured I would get a week or 2 at least. I mean I understand opioids are an issue for some people, but right after surgery I'm gonna be hurting...scares me.
Can anyone speak to these concerns?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2021, 02:06 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Nov 28, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynwise View Post
Hi! I'm Rachel, 41, having a Davinci robotic hysterectomy on Tuesday Nov. 30.

I have a lot of anxiety about recovery and healing after the procedure. I have problems with anaesthetic and have some other underlying health problems.

We can all heal and recover together! Sending my thoughts and prayers to everyone having surgery this week ... hope it goes well!

Is is very normal to have anxiety, I know that I did a lot of deep breathing exercises in the days before surgery. I also wrote down my concerns, sometimes writing something down helps us move on from worry.

I had the same worries as you. My surgery was laparoscopic, also had a vaginal vault suspension and 2 repairs done, as an outpatient. I went home after 3 hours in recovery and it was not bad at all. In fact it was nice to be home in my own bed. They will not release you until you can pee and your pain is managed. I was only given a few opiods and only took a half dose a few times in the first week. I did take tylenol and ibuprofen every 6 hours- not at the same time. Took tylenol waited 3 hours then took ibuprofen, then in 3 hours it was time for tylenol again. Took no matter pain level so I could stay on top of it. You can always contact your surgeon post op if your pain is not manageable, that is what they are there for.

When you meet with your anesthesiologist before surgery, please make sure and let them know ALL of your concerns. There are many things they can do before and during surgery medication wise to help with your recovery both right after surgery and the first few days home. I tried to remember that during my surgery everyone involved was focused on me and the best outcome.

and Best Wishes!
Unread 11-28-2021, 02:34 PM

Hi Brocky-
I am new to this open house format, I hope I am answering your reply in the correct way??
Thanks so much for your input.... you story seems the most like mine.
I am about to read your articles.
Thanks so much. LZ
Unread 11-28-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynwise View Post
Best wishes thoughts and prayers Jill! I am also 41 and having my surgery on Tuesday. Please take care! We will all get through this together
Unread 11-28-2021, 02:43 PM

Rachel,

Brocky has some good advice for you. I didn’t go home the same day but so many do and usually do just fine. Your Dr won’t release you unless all is well. I too took very little of the narcotic I was given. I hate the way it makes me feel. I did take Tylenol and I took it for a couple of weeks to help with just an uncomfortable feeling I know it isn’t much of an anti inflammatory but since I can’t take Other things I took it and did great. The important thing is to stay slow and try and keep the swelling down in the lower ab. If you can do this you will have less pain. So follow your restrictions no bending, twisting, lifting more than 5lb, pushing ,pulling, stretching. So no vacuuming or window washing. seriously though Sis with just a little caution you will do great.
Hope to see you on the RecoveryProgressReport thread when you are up to posting.

Sister Hugs,
Anndy
Unread 11-28-2021, 06:43 PM

Hello!

I am Jennifer, I’m 49, and I am having a robotic laparoscopic partial hysterectomy on Thursday.

Like everyone else, I am concerned about recovery. I am a single parent of a young adult with autism. I’ll be spending the first few days at my parents house because I also live in an upstairs apartment and I don’t want to climb stairs as soon as I get home from the hospital.

My doctor has been pretty good about being willing to give me whatever I want for pain because I have an anaphylactic allergy to ibuprofen, Aleve, and aspirin. He’s already prescribed me five full days worth of narcotic pain relief and he said that because my surgery is at noon if I want to stay overnight in the hospital he is willing to sign off on that as well.

I have a heating pad, ice packs, comfy pajamas and fuzzy socks, my prescription pain medication, and stool softener already at my mother’s house. I’m just trying to figure out what I might be missing. I think she has Gas-X, but the only other time I’ve ever had surgery was laparoscopic and I did not have any gas pain but I know each surgery could be different.

I also had a group of friends that got together to do a meal train for me once I am no longer at my mom’s house, which has pretty much consisted of just a lot of DoorDash gift cards. Which is great, because that’s super easy.

I am taking Wednesday off of work to get things ready and finish up any last-minute Christmas shopping that I don’t think I could do online. I just don’t know what else I need to do and I hate the unknown and not being prepared.

How else can I prepare? Having been a single mom of a son with autism for 20 years, planning and preparation is just bred into me because I have to think five steps ahead of my kid all the time. This not knowing is driving me crazy.
Unread 11-28-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenerp View Post
Hello!

I am Jennifer, I’m 49, and I am having a robotic laparoscopic partial hysterectomy on Thursday.

Like everyone else, I am concerned about recovery. I am a single parent of a young adult with autism. I’ll be spending the first few days at my parents house because I also live in an upstairs apartment and I don’t want to climb stairs as soon as I get home from the hospital.

My doctor has been pretty good about being willing to give me whatever I want for pain because I have an anaphylactic allergy to ibuprofen, Aleve, and aspirin. He’s already prescribed me five full days worth of narcotic pain relief and he said that because my surgery is at noon if I want to stay overnight in the hospital he is willing to sign off on that as well.

I have a heating pad, ice packs, comfy pajamas and fuzzy socks, my prescription pain medication, and stool softener already at my mother’s house. I’m just trying to figure out what I might be missing. I think she has Gas-X, but the only other time I’ve ever had surgery was laparoscopic and I did not have any gas pain but I know each surgery could be different.

I also had a group of friends that got together to do a meal train for me once I am no longer at my mom’s house, which has pretty much consisted of just a lot of DoorDash gift cards. Which is great, because that’s super easy.

I am taking Wednesday off of work to get things ready and finish up any last-minute Christmas shopping that I don’t think I could do online. I just don’t know what else I need to do and I hate the unknown and not being prepared.

How else can I prepare? Having been a single mom of a son with autism for 20 years, planning and preparation is just bred into me because I have to think five steps ahead of my kid all the time. This not knowing is driving me crazy.
Jennifer,
It is hard to prepare for the unknown but it seems to me that with your experiences that you already have that skill dialed in. Some other things that helped me were...extra pillows, a chair by bed to help with getting up and down, peppermint tea (does wonders for stomach and intestines), moving the clothes I needed to a waist high shelf or drawer, lots of bottled water, protein shakes (protein is so important for healing and appetite may be off), notepad for keeping track of meds, pads or pantiliners, unscented wipes. If the hospital offers you mesh panties they are the best, ask for extra. I hope these ideas help. Please join your recovery thread when able, your Sunshine Sister was also mine after my surgery, made a world of difference!
You will be able to handle this sister, honest
Unread 11-28-2021, 07:39 PM

Good Evening 'es in Waiting!

Pre-op can be a very stressful time, and many women here say it's the hardest part of this process. Wondering about the unknowns and waiting can be anxiety inducing. Do your best to keep busy: clean the house and freeze some meals. If you have kids returning to school soon, do your back-to-school shopping now. Get out of the house and enjoy an activity with family or friends: the fresh air and fun are a great distraction and you will be housebound for a little while post op. And lastly: do things that nurture your soul... a bubble bath, read a book in the sunshine, yoga, meditate, a spa day. This time is all about you.

Here are some articles for you:

10 Essentials to Pack

10 Tips for Preparing

Coping with Anxiety & Fear Before Hysterectomy :

Hysterectomy: First Surgery

You can do this Ladies! Keep your eyes on the prize: A new, healthier YOU!

Unread 11-28-2021, 07:42 PM

Recovering alone can seem overwhelming but with some planning it should be very doable. Freeze some meals and have small nutritious snacks ready to go in the fridge. Yogurt, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, and fruit were my favorites. You may find small tasks like washing and cutting fruit and veggies can be too much early post op, so have everything as prepared as possible. I had a big pot of chicken veggie soup made up ahead of time, and this was perfect. I kept it in the fridge and warmed up small amounts as I needed.

Some essentials for me were my heating pad, Gas X, Advil and stool softeners. A grabber tool is helpful for items that get dropped on the floor... bending down early post op can be painful. Arrange with a friend to call and check on you daily to make sure you are all right. Also try to have someone on "standby" in case of emergencies like if you need to go to the doctor or if you need something from the pharmacy. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to speed up our recovery other than rest, drink lots of water, eat well and Here are articles with some more tips:

Living Alone & Recovering From Hysterectomy

10 Tips for Recovering at Home Alone After Hysterectomy

I am sending hugs to you for a safe surgery & an uneventful recovery!

Unread 11-28-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzotos View Post
Hi Brocky-
I am new to this open house format, I hope I am answering your reply in the correct way??
Thanks so much for your input.... you story seems the most like mine.
I am about to read your articles.
Thanks so much. LZ
Hi LZ,
Yes you replied the right way. Whatever you decide we are here for you! Please join the Recovery Thread for your week when possible, so helpful!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register