Lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Lupron

In the last two months, after meeting with my gyn and realizing that my uterine fibroids (20-22 wk size), are definitely not going anywhere, I have decided to have surgery.

Six books and lots of online research went into finally deciding to have a myomectomy with abdominal incision.

Had an appt this morning, and doc wants to put me on lupron for a two months so the fibroids will shrink, and so I'll have a more stabilized blood count going into surgery. Feb 09 count was 28 (34 is normal). Gave more blood this morning so we'll see what the count is tomorrow.

Chemical menopause isn't appealing, but having no period for two months, and shrinking the fibroids may be worth it in the end.

Anyone have any experience with Lupron? I'd like to hear the good and the bad. Thanks a million!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Re: Lupron

I am scheduled for a TAH tomorrow at 12:15. I too have huge fibroids (about the size of something between a cantelope and a basketball). I received one 3month shot of Lupron on April 9th. I have had one period since the shot (about two weeks later). I am now having hot flashes frequently but they each only last a few minutes. I feel that my uterus has shrunk a fair bit - evidenced by the fact that I can now sleep on my tummy - but my Dr laughed and said they were still huge when I went for my pre-op appointment on June 11th. I know there has been some shrinkage! I do not regret taking the med and now know what to expect when menopause hits the next time in 5-10 years Hope this helps!
Unread 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I was given Lupron one month before my surgery. I had severe endometriosis and it really helped to lessen the pain while I was waiting for my surgery date. My surgeon told me that it would make the surgery easier with fewer adhesions if I took the Lupron ahead of time, so I did it. I believe it was the right course of action for me, but I do have to admit that Lupron was really rough on my system (I had a 3-month injection given). I could not sleep 2 hours in a row for a couple of months straight, and I had memory troubles and even basic spelling troubles (when I had had almost a photographic memory prior to this). I ended up with depression and was given Prozac, which I only took for 5 days and then stopped due to shakiness, etc. I also had some G.I. troubles. But nothing seemed permanent, so I guess I am glad in the end!

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2009, 07:59 AM

I had a three month injection six weeks before my surgery and was glad I did. It meant the surgery was more straightforward than it would have been otherwise, blood loss was minimalised and the fibroids I had were much smaller and easier to remove.

When I had my surgery there were still two large and aggressive patches of endometriosis wrapped around my intestines and sacral ligaments. This made the decision to remove my ovaries inevitable but also reassuring. Being that bad after the lupron meant the SAH and BSO was truly the right decision for me and that has given me peace of mind while struggle with my recovery.

I had hot flushes and night sweats and some digestive problems, all manageable, and I also felt better than I had in years in many ways.

For me it was a positive thing.
Unread 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM

thanks ladies! my blood count appears to be up, but after more reading last night and reading your responses, i think i'll go ahead with the shot; he wants to do 2 one month injections; my superfantastic dr said he needs at least two months, so that's what i'll give him. surgery will probably be scheduled for sept.

do the symptoms kick in immediately or after 2-3 weeks?
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM

It depends on what part of your cycle you are on when you get the shot. My surgeon made sure I got the injection just after the 3rd week of my cycle. I actually felt better than ever the first week or so... I think it was the boost in estrogen before the body is tricked into shutting down the supply line!

Best wishes to you!!

Brenda
Unread 07-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Charmed21,

I had 1 period after my 3 mo. injection and after that period ended is when my hot flashes started. That period was a little worse than normal b/c I had a headache that lasted for days. (I always did get menstrual migraines, but that one was supposedly worse because of the drastic hormone shift.) The hot flashes took some getting used to, but they were a welcome trade for horrific pain and terrible flooding. Some docs use add-back therapy to help reduce side-effects.

Good luck with your Lupron therapy and your myomectomy.
Hope you start feeling better soon. Keep us posted.
Unread 07-01-2009, 12:19 AM

I was given a six month course of Lupron when I was 23 (now am 35) to help with pain from endometreosis. I believe it is what threw me into an emotional mess. I ended up in the hospital with major depression and struggled for a long time to get out of it. I would caution anyone that is considering it.
Unread 07-01-2009, 11:42 PM

I have taken three cycles of Lupron in the past eight years ranging from three months to six months at a time. Each time that I took it, my symptoms and their severity varied. The first time I had sever hot flashes and night sweats, the second time I was kind of moody with moderate hot flashes and no night sweats, the third time my doctor gave me a low does of Premarin to lessen the side effects and it worked. Now for the bad part, every time I have taken a round of Lupron, I gained 20 to 25lbs that I had to work hard to get rid of once I finished the therapy.

Good Luck with your decision and upcoming surgery!
P.S.
Remember not everyone is the same
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:49 AM

I had my first shot of Lupron about two weeks ago. I'm feeling pretty good. I have some mild night sweats, but no other side affects as of yet. It's probably too soon to tell at this point. So far so good. I will be taking a six month treatment. Not to mention making sure I hit the gym at least 4 days a week. I heard it can cause weight gain. I believe that can be controlled with diet and exercise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register