PMS help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM
PMS help

Not sure if this is the right forum or not.

I'm dealing with severe pms. I've dealt with it for years,(I'm 35) but it has gotten WAY worse over hte last year. I'm oly normal maybe 5 days outof htemonth. And i have cramps for 1-2 of those days,so...yeah...not good.

I'm on antidepressants now. Was on celexa,now switching to Zoloft,and it doesn't seem to be working either. I can't take hormonal stuff.
I have a 4 yr old to raise,and I don't have time for this. I have a good friend who had the same problems I do,and a hysterectomy cured her problems.

I"m desperate-I can't live like this.(I've also tried b vitamins,chaste tree berry,fish oil...evening primrose oil.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Re: PMS help

Hi Eeyore3,

A hyster cured my PMS but brought a whole new set of problems. Hormones are fixing my problems, without them I would be in bad shape. Why can't you take hormones if I may ask? You will need them if you have your ovaries removed.

I wouldn't have had major surgery to cure PMS and I did have some issues with it. Are you sure there are no other options? Have you talked to other doctors?

I hope you can find relief without a hyster, keep asking questions.
Unread 09-02-2009, 05:40 PM

((Eeyore35))

I hope we can offer you some information and support!

A hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus so it is not likely to help with PMS. PMS is a result of hormonal issues with the ovaries. If you have an oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries), you could eliminate all PMS symptoms. However, you would then deal with surgical menopause which can be horrific and worse than PMS! Since you cannot take any hormones, you would have to try alternative options which may or may not work.

I would strongly suggest talking to a doctor who is knowledgeable regarding hormonal issues. You might even check to see if there is an endocrinologist in your area who could help you.

I wish you all the very best as you determine what is best for you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Hi,

I have suffered with PMS as well for many years. About 8 yrs ago I was also experiencing depression. The Dr. I went to prescribed Prozac form me. She told me that Prozac helps with PMS and the anxiety that comes with it. I will say that it has made a big difference for me and other people have noticed the difference. Hope this information helps you. Good luck!
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:40 PM

To answer a couple of question...I use to be on birth control pills. Marvelon at first,but then that made my pms worse,so I switched to alesse. it was for a couple years,and then i started getting really depressed. Not sure how long it was really ok,as it started gradualy,but got to the point I could barely function. I went to the dr. and asked to switch pills again,and w told there was no point,and just to avoid hormones.

I do have a friend whose pms was cured by hysterectomy,and she still has her ovaries. from what I've been able to find out,the success rate is about 70%. so,not the first thing I'd try!

I was on prozac. it doesn't realy work. it helps the pms,to point,but i just feel moderately depressed all the tme on it. I tried increasing the dose,(under dr's direction) and ended up in the ER. It alo caused my eating disorder to flare up again,I started bruising alot easier,and some other small things i don't recall.

After that I tried celexa,it didn't help the pms at.all. and when the dr. increased the dose, it got even worse.

So,now Zoloft. I'm hoping it works.

so, if nothing else is working,I absolutely would consider a hysterectomy. But there's a few more antidepressants I could try first,and if none of them work,I'l ask for a referral to an OB/GYN,and go from there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register