Mirena- Tell me your experience... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mirena- Tell me your experience... Mirena- Tell me your experience...

Unread 01-25-2016, 04:57 AM
Re: Mirena- Tell me your experience...

As I recall, during the settling down period I had some cramping, but nothing to horrendous ( I do have a very high pain threshold), and quite a lot of spotting between periods, but this I felt was acceptable given the improvements in my periods themselves, after about 4 months the spotting stopped and my periods diminished to the point that panty liners were sufficient! A miracle compared to what they had been before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Mirena- Tell me your experience...

Thank you to everyone who replied. I am scheduled for Feb 5 and I will update as soon as I can about the whole experience. I do feel somewhat better now, knowing that this could be an answer for me. I'm praying for the best possible outcome!
Unread 01-25-2016, 12:04 PM

Ck92
I hope it is an answer for you. I will be getting mine in Feb as well. I am so tired of these long painful periods. Best of luck!!
Lorene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2016, 01:27 PM

I have a history of lots of large fibroids and heavy bleeding with terrible anemia. After having UFE, then Da Vinci myomectomy, I had Mirena inserted about 6 months after myomectomy, in July 2013.

I LOVED Mirena. It was awesome. Over the course of a year my periods got a LOT lighter and eventually nearly disappeared (just tiny spotting for a few days - nothing a panty liner couldn't handle).

Unfortunately in spring 2015 new fibroids grew to a bothersome size (three in various sizes, largest being about 8cm) - enough to cause uncomfortable symptoms again. I couldn't feel the Mirena strings, so my gyn had to take a look, couldn't find it, ordered an MRI, then ended up having to get it out via outpatient surgery. Fibroids grew so big they pushed the Mirena out of place. On the plus side, while she was up there rooting around for the Mirena, she found a polyp on my cervix (not cancerous and never had any irregular pap). So due to the fibroids, the Mirena had to go. I was bummed because it was awesome not having to worry about birth control or heavy periods.

I ended up having a second UFE in July 2015. So far, so good. Periods have been light and my 6 month follow up showed significant shrinkage.

My sister has had Mirena for many years (on her second one now). She loves it and has no periods any more.

Neither of us ever had any bad side effects, BUT in the back of my mind I wonder if having it caused new fibroids to grow.

Re insertion/removal... for me, it was a piece of cake. Momentary cramping, momentary moderate pain, and that's it. I have never had kids and in my mid-40s. My sister is 40 and has two kids. She said insertion and removal was "worse than childbirth" and she **** near jumped off the gyn table.

Good luck! I hope whatever you do works!
Unread 01-26-2016, 08:44 PM

I had the Mirena a few years back as a BC option. I too have a retroverted uterus. Since mine was inserted 8 weeks postnatal my uterus had not resumed it's natural position so when it did, it pulled the strings up inside with it which made for a very difficult, painful, multiple appointment removal when it came time. You may want to ask them to leave the strings a little long if you think it might be a problem. They can always trim them after things settle down in a month or so after insertion. The only other problem I experienced on it was very mild depression that I was actually not aware of until after the removal and I felt like myself again.

I hope it works for you.
Unread 01-26-2016, 10:49 PM

I had two!
One which wasn't inserted incorrectly and the other expelled with lots of pain!
Wouldn't try a third!
Everyone's different give it a try
Good luck x
Unread 01-27-2016, 12:58 PM

Ck92 puddingtonbear,
I have my spot set for feb 16 to get my IUD . I am hoping to hear your experiences, good I hope!
Lorene 😊
Unread 01-27-2016, 01:02 PM

I will make sure to update as soon as I'm home about the insertion process. I too, am hoping this is the answer for us!
(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-28-2016, 07:27 PM

My doctor moved my appt. to Feb. 2 because my period will just be ending and it will give me more time before my next cycle to settle in. I'm going to take a strong pain killer and sm hoping for the best.
Puddingtonbear! How are you feeling?? I will let you know how my insertion is. I had a endo biopsy with no pain meds and I was fine. My doctor is very sensitive so I feel comfortable.
Unread 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck92 View Post
I will make sure to update as soon as I'm home about the insertion process. I too, am hoping this is the answer for us!
(((Hugs)))
I am now scheduled for the 2nd! I will tell you about the insertion! I trust my doctor...
(Hugs!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register