Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding? Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding?

Unread 02-12-2021, 01:00 PM
Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding?

Hello! I desperately want a hysterectomy. I have severe PCOS; I had a period that lasted 10 weeks with extremely large clots, one of which was 6 inches long and an inch wide. Due to this, I had to have a D&C done and an IUD inserted. Unfortunately, despite this as well as being on the Kelnor birth control pill (which is a stronger dose of birth control), I am still bleeding literally 75% of the time. I still have yet to see what my gynecologist (who is fantastic) will recommend; however, if she doesn't allow me to get a hysterectomy (which is the only solution I see at this point), do any of you guys know of a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on me? I'm losing my mind. I can't even ride my bike anymore without having to worry about bleeding everywhere. I had to get my mom to pick me up from school because of the cramps on Wednesday. Even if you can't recommend a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy, any other advice helps. Please send help.
Edit: Forgot to add that my mom is probably spending a lot of money on pads because of this; in addition, I forgot to mention that my 10 week period left me anemic. Again, please send help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2021, 06:43 PM
Re: Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding?

Unfortunately, we do not recommend doctors on this site.

Typically, hysterectomies are performed following a diagnosis and in many cases, as a last resort.

Many refuse to perform on such a young lady, unless extreme circumstance

When was the last time you saw your OB/GYn?
Unread 02-13-2021, 08:41 AM
Re: Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding?

First off I am so very sorry for what you are going through and at such a young age . I’m curious if you have tried other alternatives like an IUD ? If done correctly the IUD can help minimize your periods and in some ladies almost stop them until the iud comes out . Typically I think it’s every 5 years.. I would search out a good OBG if you do not have one yet and ask about birth control alternatives to help your situation. Best of luck to you dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2021, 05:09 PM

So you have tried one oral and one iud. My guess would be that they are going to put you on one more oral before moving you up the ladder. My anemia had to get pretty severe and last 2+ years to get people and insurance to move on it, and then it was another year of jumping through hoops of testing to get the results I wanted. So some things you might want to think about. Try metformin, it might help, for about 15 years it kept my cycle at about 30 days and I would only bleed for 9 of those. Ablation. If you don't have any factors to stop this, it might be your best option and it's way less tramatic than a full hysterectomy.
I hate to suggest this but pregnancy- it can change how your periods are, between my kids they were much lighter, after my second they became terrifying heavy.

Also, your 18, everything may not have settled down yet, mine didn't settle till I was about 22. Making a permanent decision before then may not be your best choice.

I found women GYN to be more open, specifically those under about 40.
Unread 02-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Anybody know a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on an 18 year old with severe PCOS and bleeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny1114 View Post
Hello! I desperately want a hysterectomy. I have severe PCOS; I had a period that lasted 10 weeks with extremely large clots, one of which was 6 inches long and an inch wide. Due to this, I had to have a D&C done and an IUD inserted. Unfortunately, despite this as well as being on the Kelnor birth control pill (which is a stronger dose of birth control), I am still bleeding literally 75% of the time. I still have yet to see what my gynecologist (who is fantastic) will recommend; however, if she doesn't allow me to get a hysterectomy (which is the only solution I see at this point), do any of you guys know of a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy on me? I'm losing my mind. I can't even ride my bike anymore without having to worry about bleeding everywhere. I had to get my mom to pick me up from school because of the cramps on Wednesday. Even if you can't recommend a doctor that will perform a hysterectomy, any other advice helps. Please send help.
Edit: Forgot to add that my mom is probably spending a lot of money on pads because of this; in addition, I forgot to mention that my 10 week period left me anemic. Again, please send help.
Hi,

I’m only 22 and I just had a hysterectomy. It was absolutely an grueling uphill battle that took me eight years of pain to get to. But it was worth it. I tried four birth controls, orilissa (literally medically induced menopause which SUCKED), all sorts of pain meds, pelvic Pt, and two other surgeries before the hysterectomy.

Because of your age doctors, peers, nurses, family, friends, etc. (and some women on this site, as I experienced) will question you and put you through a number of tests, trials, and other procedures before they let you do this. They told me I was too young, that I would regret my decision later, tried to convince to think what a future husband might want as if my own thoughts and experiences didn’t matter. It was a hard road that I’m still recovering from and I don’t want to sugar coat it for you. I had to cross every t and dot every i to prove that the hysterectomy was truly the last resort and that I’d eliminated every possibility, even though all logic pointed to the surgery and despite it being what I wanted. I even had to get a letter from a counselor stating that I was making my decision with a clear head, or as clear headed as I could be while in chronic pain.

But obviously I did find doctors wiling to operate and work with me. If you want to DM me and talk further I would more than happy to. I remember being 18 and passing out from period pain alone in my college dorm room, and thinking this was just my life since so many doctors had told me I “just had bad periods.” Now I’m pain free and studying for my masters degree in journalism. I’m actually doing research about gender bias people experience in OBGYN medicine to make sense of what I went through.

I know I’m just a stranger online but I don’t want you or anyone else to have to go through this kind of hell alone like I did.
Unread 02-16-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I’m so sorry to hear you’re suffering so badly at this young age. I too had horrible periods all throughout my teenage years and beyond and I finally had a hysterectomy last year.

When did your symptoms start? Was it with your first period or did they become worse with time? I only ask because since you’re so young there may be things you can do, if you’re not already, with nutrition and supplements. A functional medicine doctor would be a good place to start. Sometimes, but not always, PCOS is associated with insulin resistance, meaning diet and lifestyle changes can really help. The younger you are the better your chances of finding a way to get more improvements and balance with your PCOS before opting for a hysterectomy. It’s a big, life changing surgery. Alissa Vitti’s book Women Code is very good. She shares her personal PCOS experience and natural remedies for PCOS. Also, sometimes periods can go haywire at your age and then get much better as you get into your twenties.

If you’ve tried everything and you’re absolutely 100% that you don’t want children then I’m sure there is a surgeon that will honor your decision and move forward with surgery. While I’m very happy with my hysterectomy at 42, I would definitely recommend not considering it unless you’ve thoroughly exhausted all other options and feel 100% that you will not regret it later in life.

Best of luck to you! Whatever you decide this community here is wonderful and will support you!
Unread 02-16-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Has your doctor tried Lysteda. Also known as tranexamic acid. I had hysterectomy due to half my uterus and cervix being and huge fibroid that bled like that. But the meds slowed cycles to more normal volume so I didn’t have to worry about embarrassing situations. I still mourn the fact that I won’t have children. I have PCOS as well. Ovarian cysts and endometriosis.
Unread 02-18-2021, 11:11 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through all that at such a young age! When I was desperate trying to find anything to help with the heavy bleeding, clots, and pain, I found these herbal supplements called Brazen. They didn't stop the bleeding, (because I had adenomyosis, fibroids, and cysts), but they did reduce the clots SIGNIFICANTLY and took away ALL the cramp pain and other extreme symptoms I had, like diarrhea, muscle cramps, exhaustion, chills, fever, night sweats, etc. I did eventually get a hysterectomy, but those supplements relieved so much of the pain and discomfort in the meantime. Check them out, hope they help you!
Unread 03-10-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Princess View Post
I’m so sorry to hear you’re suffering so badly at this young age. I too had horrible periods all throughout my teenage years and beyond and I finally had a hysterectomy last year.

When did your symptoms start? Was it with your first period or did they become worse with time? I only ask because since you’re so young there may be things you can do, if you’re not already, with nutrition and supplements. A functional medicine doctor would be a good place to start. Sometimes, but not always, PCOS is associated with insulin resistance, meaning diet and lifestyle changes can really help. The younger you are the better your chances of finding a way to get more improvements and balance with your PCOS before opting for a hysterectomy. It’s a big, life changing surgery. Alissa Vitti’s book Women Code is very good. She shares her personal PCOS experience and natural remedies for PCOS. Also, sometimes periods can go haywire at your age and then get much better as you get into your twenties.

If you’ve tried everything and you’re absolutely 100% that you don’t want children then I’m sure there is a surgeon that will honor your decision and move forward with surgery. While I’m very happy with my hysterectomy at 42, I would definitely recommend not considering it unless you’ve thoroughly exhausted all other options and feel 100% that you will not regret it later in life.

Best of luck to you! Whatever you decide this community here is wonderful and will support you!
Thank you! My periods have never been regular and have always been very heavy and lasting at least a week, if not a week and a half or nearly two weeks. I do believe I have insulin resistance and am prediabetic, but I'm eating fairly well (not a lot of fruits and vegetables but not a lot of junk food either, probably more meat, bread, yogurt, mini waffles, and smoothies than junk food).

(CONTENT WARNING: PREGNANCY) I really have never wanted biological kids. I've never experienced baby fever and pregnancy terrifies me. I've never had a want, I've always had discomfort, so I don't think that'll change anytime soon. (CONTENT WARNING OVER).

Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll be sure to look into it. I do very much feel as though I've exhausted every option, so any more options are welcome. Thank you so much for your response. I, personally, would be happy to get a hysterectomy, but I'd be just as happy to find another solution.
Unread 03-10-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courts1014 View Post
Has your doctor tried Lysteda. Also known as tranexamic acid. I had hysterectomy due to half my uterus and cervix being and huge fibroid that bled like that. But the meds slowed cycles to more normal volume so I didn’t have to worry about embarrassing situations. I still mourn the fact that I won’t have children. I have PCOS as well. Ovarian cysts and endometriosis.
I'm so sorry that you won't be able to have biological children. I will definitely talk to my GYN about that. Thank you for your response.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register