Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24? Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24?

Unread 03-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24?

Hello,

I have suffered from suspected adenomyosis for years and now I have some rapidly growing fibroids that are causing all kinds of symptoms - I have a constant feeling of having to pee really bad or feeling super full even though I hardly ate anything.

Last November, 3 fibroids were found by ultrasound, the largest was 4cm. An ultrasound at the end of Jan shows 5 fibroids with the largest one at 10cm that is pushing on my bladder. A lot of the symptoms have come on so fast and I've been struggling with how to deal with them.

The constant pain and pressure is really wearing me out. I feel like I can power through most of the pain but the pressure against my stomach,bladder and other organs has been very uncomfortable. Any articles or advice on how deal with this? Do most of you girls just deal with it till surgery time?

My Doctor/surgeon had also said if my fibroids or uterus are so enlarged they may not be able to do the surgery robotically and have to switch to open. She said it's up to me if I want to undergo another ultrasound in the next week to check, it's up to me. I really don't want to have to go through another one since the last one was so uncomfortable and I'm scared they will then change the surgery to open. But is it better knowing than waking up after surgery and find out that it got switched part way through? Or just try with the robot first? I'm just so stressed out and nervous about this. This has all happened so fast and feel alone in some of this so I'm glad I found this site.

Any advice or tips would be appreciate, Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2021, 04:54 PM
Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24?

My situation was not the same as yours -- my fibroids were causing severe anemia with extensive blood loss each time I had a period -- BUT to stop the bleeding I was given a shot that stopped my period and also shrank my fibroids.

This was a temporary fix for the few months I had before I was able to get surgery back in e states (I live overseas and my work's medical office did not want me having surgery in-country).

Check with your doc -- perhaps that's an option? I was given a "Xolodex" shot -- name is local to the country I am living in, could be know differently in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRoadAng View Post
Hello,

I have suffered from suspected adenomyosis for years and now I have some rapidly growing fibroids that are causing all kinds of symptoms - I have a constant feeling of having to pee really bad or feeling super full even though I hardly ate anything.

Last November, 3 fibroids were found by ultrasound, the largest was 4cm. An ultrasound at the end of Jan shows 5 fibroids with the largest one at 10cm that is pushing on my bladder. A lot of the symptoms have come on so fast and I've been struggling with how to deal with them.

The constant pain and pressure is really wearing me out. I feel like I can power through most of the pain but the pressure against my stomach,bladder and other organs has been very uncomfortable. Any articles or advice on how deal with this? Do most of you girls just deal with it till surgery time?

My Doctor/surgeon had also said if my fibroids or uterus are so enlarged they may not be able to do the surgery robotically and have to switch to open. She said it's up to me if I want to undergo another ultrasound in the next week to check, it's up to me. I really don't want to have to go through another one since the last one was so uncomfortable and I'm scared they will then change the surgery to open. But is it better knowing than waking up after surgery and find out that it got switched part way through? Or just try with the robot first? I'm just so stressed out and nervous about this. This has all happened so fast and feel alone in some of this so I'm glad I found this site.

Any advice or tips would be appreciate, Thanks in advance.
Unread 03-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Hi,
I'm dealing with fibroids too. My surgery is scheduled for March 25. I had a D&C in January 18 of this year, and it only seemed to make my uterus angry. I bleed almost daily. One day a week, I have terrible cramps followed by a huge gush. This has been exhausting. My bladder is definitely stressed, because I have to go so often. Fortunately, that hasn't caused any pain.
Hopefully someone will give you advise.
Best of luck.
Unread 03-03-2021, 04:19 AM

and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
My main troublemaker was a jumbo grapefruit pressing on my bladder, plus I also had stomach bloating, which my family doctor attributed to my enlarged uterus pressing on my stomach. I was given shots to shrink the fibroids so I could have my surgery done laparoscopically, which go by the name Lupron here in Canada. My surgeon did warn me of the chance that my surgery might need to be converted to an open procedure, which I think is a fairly standard warning, but it never came to pass; I suggest asking your surgeon what percentage of his surgeries have needed to be converted, which ideally, should be less than 5%. For the bloating, I suggest switching from 2-3 large meals to 5-6 smaller ones, and avoiding poorly digested foods, which can exacerbate bloating by sitting in your stomach for longer; that includes red meat, legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, prunes, apricots, cherries, artificial sweeteners, carbonated drinks, and fried or fatty foods. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 03-04-2021, 05:35 PM
Re: Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy?

Hi and welcome,

I had huge, twisted fibroids that were pressing on my bladder and whatever other organs they felt like pressing on - so I understand your pain, literally! As a bonus, I received several medical opinions, and was advised to have surgery ASAP. My head was spinning as this diagnosis was out of the blue. I had little time to prepare. Maybe that was better for me anyway, as I suffer from anxiety as is - so this way I had less time to worry.

I found the heating pad was the only thing that relieved some of the pelvic pain. I also had to plan my activities based on bathroom availability. Ugh.

It’s a hard decision about taking another test. If it were me, I’d rather know in advance - and I too hated all those tests. But yet, things can happen ...and the doctor may have to switch gears during surgery anyway.

Please try to make time now doing some things you enjoy. I know this is challenging with Covid concerns, but now is a great time for indoor hobbies and catching up with old friends and family by phone or video chat, etc. Your stress will be alleviated a bit if you can distract yourself with enjoyable activities. Keep busy and avoid negative tales of surgeries woes.

You can and will do this. You are in the home stretch.

Hang in there.
❤️
Marcia
Unread 03-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Re: Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24?

Thank you everyone for the helpful and encouraging replies.

I have been eating smaller meals the last 2 days and avoiding the foods you mentioned and it does seem to be helping a bit.
I've been reading stuff on this site to help prepare, but I do feel the negative stories are causing me more anxiety so I'm going to avoid those.

I was able to get an ultrasound appt for next week, so I'm going to just go for it and get it over with.... then I figure at least I will know. My Dr. will review that at the preop appt. Now just working on getting my thoughts together for questions and getting things settled with getting time off work.

Bethany-Ann - Looks like we will be in the same recovery thread going through it together, best of luck to you too!
Unread 03-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Re: Any advice on managing fibroid symptoms while I wait for my hysterectomy on 3/24?

Hello again dear “ARA”

I’m glad you’re going to avoid reading negative stories. From my experience, gals that have easier recoveries do not feel the need to post - whereas those that need advice and have concerns, do seem to post more frequently.

Good luck on your upcoming appointment!

Here is a list of things you might want to discuss with your doctor:
Pre Op Questions for your Doctor

Hugs and be strong. You can and will do this!
❤️

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register