dVH/RALH Trapped gas and pain 5 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trapped gas and pain 5 days post hysterectomy Trapped gas and pain 5 days post hysterectomy

Unread 12-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Trapped gas and pain 5 days post hysterectomy

Hello,

I am only 5 days post op, but more uncomfortable than I had anticipated. My stomach is very swollen. I expected pain around my incision, but I am also experiencing a lot of very painful gas that is hard to pass. This pressure seems to just add to the pain I am
Feeling around my abdomen. I have taking gas meds and drinking prune juice. I had my first BM today. I expected that to get rid of the gas, but still experiencing quite a bit of painful gas. Did anyone else experience this in their recovery?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Re: Trapped gas and pain

I've had a fair amount of gas pain, too. So. Annoying.

So far what I've done is loosen my abdominal wrap and do a few laps around the living room. It helps things shift and pass. I hope this helps
Unread 12-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Peppermint tea is a wonder on gas!
Unread 12-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Gas pains were worse than the surgery for me, 4 days of brutal gas pains from the gas that they pump into you prior to surgery & then another 4 days of intestinal gas, beyond brutal. I think I got myself a free trip somewhere after all the frequent fliers! Thank goodness that is behind me. 15 days after surgery & i'm doing great, that gas is a distant memory! It'll pass, pun intended but it takes days to leave your system trust me.
Unread 12-22-2016, 10:16 PM

Ugh .... same!!! Been doing light walking, light eating, taking prescribed stool softener, prune juice & myralax. Spoke with nurse yesterday & she suggested milk of magnesia .... so far just more air & lots of liquid coming out - nothing solid - surgery was 12-12, still waiting ( sorry if tmi)

Hope you ( we ) get some good suggestions here

*started peppermint tea too
Unread 12-23-2016, 03:56 AM
Re: Trapped gas and pain 5 days post hysterectomy

Yep, me too! Hot tea seems to have quite a good effect for some reason but I can't drink that while I'm asleep, so mornings are a bit of a challenge!!
Unread 12-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Trapped gas and pain 5 days post hysterectomy

I would recommend going easy on the prune juice; it's high in poorly digested carbohydrates, which end up being fermented by bacteria in the colon, contributing to more gas. Other foods in this category include legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. I do second the recommendations for walking and peppermint tea; those have always been two of my top recommendations. For the gas, also try fennel seeds, which act as a carminative, breaking up the gas, so it's easier to expel; you can have some with your meals, or steep them in hot water for a delicious tea. To get your bowels back to normal, I would recommend against taking any kind of laxative, because your bowel can become dependent on them, which would make matters worse. Instead, try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. Also try massaging your abdomen, starting at the right hip, moving up to the waist, across your belly button to the left side, then down and across, back to the starting point; this follows the path of your colon, and should help to move everything through. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon, so you can get rid of that pesky gas!
Unread 12-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Kris2 - Hello! Ditto for me. I had the worst gas pains up to 2 weeks post my TAH hyster. I can say that that was probably the worst pain (versus incision etc.).

As the other girls have posted - peppermint tea - lots of water - Gas x - walking -walking walking.

It will work itself out so hang in there!

Happy Holidays!

Edie
Unread 12-29-2016, 06:09 PM

Gas is the worst! I drank lemon juice and baking soda in water to release the gas! Oh what a relief it was!!!!
Unread 12-29-2016, 06:42 PM

The gas was seriously the worst thing about the first few days. I just basically rode it out until it dissipated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register