Upcoming Salpingectomy and Oophorectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Salpingectomy and Oophorectomy Upcoming Salpingectomy and Oophorectomy

Unread 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Upcoming Salpingectomy and Oophorectomy

Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have been through a similar experience. I had a total hysterectomy, removing my uterus and cervix, 3 years ago this month. Recently I had terrible pain in my side and I hoped it was kidney stones but was worried it may be an ovarian cyst since I do have a history of them.

Turns out I have a mass on my ovary that they think is most likely a Hydrosalpinx. In other words, part or all of my fallopian tube was not removed and now I have a blockage. I am having surgery the day after tomorrow to remove both fallopian tubes and the one ovary.

I had the hysterectomy because of a submucosal leiomyoma in my uterus, but also had fibroids and endometriosis. The doctor preforming this surgery is not the same as the previous. This surgery will be laparoscopic as was the first.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone had a second surgery like this, how did your recovery compare? My recovery after my hysterectomy was brutal. The doctor says (understandably) that the surgery and the recovery are very dependent on the prognosis being correct and on the amount of scar tissue they find. She insists this should not be as bad though. Since they're both the same incisions with the same gas inflated belly, and everything I've read says complications go up with each additional procedure I find her insistence that I will be fine in 2 weeks a bit aggressive.

My last surgery ended up being over 8 hours with an emergency second surgeon called in and a blood transfusion. I assume that's part of why my recovery was so bad but others with no complications weren't back to normal in 2 weeks either. What does everyone think? Is this a much more minor operation and I should be safe? As of right now she says I could be back working remotely by Monday (my surgery is Thursday) and that I should be able to drive myself to my follow-up 2 weeks later with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2021, 11:00 AM
Upcoming Salpingectomy and Oophorectomy

By now you’ve had your surgery, and I’m wondering how you are doing? Second surgeries can be scary, especially thinking about possible outcomes. I’ve a second abdominal surgery recently, but it was non-GYN, and I don’t have any insight into salpingo-oophorectomy recovery. You may find some past discussions of recovery scrolling through the threads here.

I hope this is going better for you than your hysterectomy did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register