Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy (2018) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy (2018) Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy (2018)

Unread 09-06-2018, 05:28 AM
Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy (2018)

Not sure where to post this, but please help!! I am about a year and a half out from TLH (kept my ovaries) and my hair has not been the same It is super dry, brittle, thinner than before and just blah. I have a noticeably thinning hairline and I’m constantly shedding, esp after showering. I am currently taking biotin and collagen. Does anyone have any suggestions that have helped them (pls don’t suggest Monat, and I have had my thyroid tested).
I also feel like my hair is not growing like it used to. I’m sick of wearing a bun everyday!!!
Thank you in advance and hope you all are doing fabulous!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Re: Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy

I would actually recommend against wearing your hair in a bun, because that creates tension that can damage your hair follicles, contributing to hair loss, especially at the hairline; I'm experiencing similar hair loss, which I've attributed to years of swimming in a tight-fitting swim cap, and in fact, reading your posting has reminded me to undo my ponytail, which was creating similar tension. Other common contributors to hair loss include repeated use of heat tools or chemical treatments, low levels of iron or B vitamins, and hormonal changes - I'm currently in perimenopause, and I've noticed increased shedding when I wash or brush my hair. Hormonal changes or nutrient deficiencies are easily diagnosed and treated, so speak to your doctor. Best wishes for a healthy, thick head of hair, and for your continued recovery!
Unread 09-06-2018, 06:49 PM

I'm almost 7 months out and in a similar predicament . My hormones are out of wack and I am on very lose dose HRT despite keeping an ovary...although I accept that surgery was a big shock to my body and hormones and it may take a while to come back (gawd knows it better!). And heaven knows I'm sprouting elsewhere ....lovely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy (2018)

How did you come to realization you needed hormones even when keeping ovaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udella View Post
I'm almost 7 months out and in a similar predicament . My hormones are out of wack and I am on very lose dose HRT despite keeping an ovary...although I accept that surgery was a big shock to my body and hormones and it may take a while to come back (gawd knows it better!). And heaven knows I'm sprouting elsewhere ....lovely
Unread 09-14-2018, 02:45 PM

I had issues with my hair after my tah/bso. I started using Nioxin shampoo for awhile, got regular trims and deep conditioned my hair once a week, also gave my hair a break from the blow dryer and curling/flat iron if I wasn't going anywhere. It took quite some time, but eventually my hair shedding and straw like hair returned back to normal.

I eventually switched to Biolage, which is a gentler shampoo for my thin blonde hair. I still use it to this day and still deep condition my hair once a week when possible.
Unread 01-07-2019, 03:47 AM

Taking an iron supplement has helped me.
Unread 01-07-2019, 06:55 AM

Hi there! Definitely talk to your GP about it. They can run panels to figure out what is going on. I found that my hair was thinning in the front and asked my GP about it. She asked a few questions, then ran a few tests. She found that my vitamin D was a little below the bottom end of the range. For me, since taking more vitamin D, I have noticed less thinning, etc. Each of our bodies is different. Bring it up to your GP, so that you can get testing to figure out what the issue is.

Hang in there!
Unread 02-03-2019, 04:40 AM

I had my hysterectomy 5 years ago today. I still have both ovaries. I have to tell you, I started losing hair and gaining weight right after. Two years after that I felt terrible with many other symptoms I will not bore you with. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I am still on a path to get better. All my hormones were out of whack. My primary thought I was eating too much and not working out enough. I have lost 20 pounds and am now just 5 lbs away from my ideal weight. Just get checked. My hair and nails were so bad...
Unread 11-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coastiewife View Post
I had my hysterectomy 5 years ago today. I still have both ovaries. I have to tell you, I started losing hair and gaining weight right after. Two years after that I felt terrible with many other symptoms I will not bore you with. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I am still on a path to get better. All my hormones were out of whack. My primary thought I was eating too much and not working out enough. I have lost 20 pounds and am now just 5 lbs away from my ideal weight. Just get checked. My hair and nails were so bad...
wat r u currently doing for the hashimotos thyroiditis? thyroid supplement?
Unread 11-18-2019, 11:59 PM
Re: Omg this hair! Need advice 1.5 years post hysterectomy (2018)

My naturopath tests me every 6-12 months, depending on what’s going on with me at the time. Routine bloodwork.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register