Choices | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Choices

Hello all

went for the pre op assessment yesterday, and they asked if I wanted to have general or an epidural. I was flabergasted. I said, no put me out I don't need to hear what they are doing. Thanks. Two weeks today and counting. I feel the nervousness. Can't sleep at night, stomach in knots, not very hungry. Trying to get things done before hand, seems there is so much to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Choices

Of course you're nervous! This isn't a new hair color - it's surgery. Please don't feel that you're alone in being nervous.

To help with that "too much to do, too little time" feeling... try making lists. It's a compulsive habit of mine, I admit. But, I do feel such satisfaction when I can mark something off the list, or better yet throw the list away when it's done, that I never get far in planning for anything without it. Before my surgery, I had a list for grocery shopping, a list of projects around the house to be done (I needed to rearrange furniture to let me be more mobile), a list of what to cook and freeze (I even planned menus for DH so he wouldn't just feed me hamburgers and no veggies), a cleaning list that my family could help me with, and then a packing list. When I left for my check-in, there was a very short list of things for DH and DD to do before my Mom arrived to help out, and the last thing on the list was "Remember that I love you and appreciate all your help!"
Unread 06-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Choices

I also had lots of lists pre-op. I suppose it was about 3 weeks pre-op when I realized I was not going to get everything done, and I took about 75% of the things off the list.

Even so, some of that stuff didn't get done. And it was OK. DH can grocery shop, dd can cook (and dh can also call the pizza place and make a peanut butter sandwich). DH is already the person who does the wash, so that was no issue. Someone already comes in to clean (which is a wonderful gift you can give yourself if you can swing it, at least during your early recovery!).

They really can survive -- although of course I wanted to make everything so perfect that they wouldn't even notice I was gone while I was at the castle!

Anyway, try your best to relax (I know, I know, easier said than done ) and do the things you know you need to do -- let the rest happen if they do or let them slide if time runs out.

to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Choices

Hi Kermit,

Just a quick comment.......you can have an epidural or spinal and still be asleep. The advantage is faster recovery time and much less possibility of vomiting when you wake up.

My surgery was 3 weeks ago -- had a spinal and am doing great. Pain is so much less than expected. Remember......waiting is the hardest part of the journey.

Hugs,
Travelcat
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Choices

I had general anastesia and a spinal. I wasn't going to opt for the spinal until the anastesiologist said there was less chance of blood clots when they did a spinal. He said that is what they do nearly all of the time.

Don't worry so much about everything that needs to get done. If you have kids, make sure you've lined up someone to get them to all the places kids need to go and make sure you have food in the house and CASH so friends can go to the store for you without not take your debit card, etc. The rest of it can wait - and it does. (It's also nice if the laundry is caught up before you go!

Best wishes. Everything will be fine.

Jo
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Choices

When I had my tubal, when I woke up I had to pee like the ****ens. Sat up and got dizzy and instant nausea. So they told me that if I have the epidural, they can't control anything until after the surgery and my chances of getting sick are higher. So I just said put me out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register