Preperation for a speedy hysterectomy recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preperation for a speedy hysterectomy recovery Preperation for a speedy hysterectomy recovery

Unread 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Preperation for a speedy hysterectomy recovery

I found out yesterday that I'm having my hysterectomy at the end of the month. I have no clue what I am getting myself into pre or post op. Are there any tips on how to physically prepare myself for a better recovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Re: Preperation for a speedy recovery

Do you mean prepare yourself physically before the surgery, or be ready for coming home and recuperating, or both?
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Re: Preperation for a speedy hysterectomy recovery

Hi nattleigh to HysterSisters -

I do not know of any specific exercise that you can do pre-op that will help you in recovery. However, being in good shape cannot hurt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattleigh View Post
I found out yesterday that I'm having my hysterectomy at the end of the month. I have no clue what I am getting myself into pre or post op. Are there any tips on how to physically prepare myself for a better recovery?

I am also scheduled for the 27th! I know that it is important to have help at home. You may not be able to drive for a period of time or lift. We are going to have to kit since we will be experiencing possibly similar things around the same time.
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:01 AM

Because of anesthesia quitting smoking if you do, and getting into the best cardiovascular shape you can. Work your lungs to keep them clear. Everybody agrees walk before and after. Drinking water and watching what you put into your body, because surgery is tough on the liver and detox organs, so with less sludge the body can heal faster. Losing weight, ( I haven't done good at this) due to possibility of post op gain and if abdominal makes the surgery easier. I've cooked meals for the family and frozen and giving my house a good deep cleaning prior. I'm going to have a just don't matter attitude after haha This has been my plan and surgery is Tuesday. I will let you know if it works out! Oh, and something I forgot for about the first two weeks after I was told I needed surgery, BREATH.
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Stool softeners, fiber, meds by your bed and a shower stool are what got me through! Also the frozen dinners are great to cause my teen daughter could pop them in the oven. Lots of pillows for support and maybe a binder. I didn't use mine are first but I do now going back to work just to get pants on. lol Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hi Ladies,
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Hi! There is a lot to learn about and prepare for prior to your surgery. Have a really good look around this site. The hystersisters have a booklet they will send you if you live in the U.S. So what type of operation are you having? There are a lot of variations, so it is important to know what you are agreeing to and why. Some great advice has already been posted about getting fit and healthy. Let's be straight- you don't need to go on a 'diet' to lose weight so you look good on the operating table! But you do need to understand that you will be having major surgery, so getting what you are fueling your body with into the best quality fuel is really going to help you heal. I stopped eating bread when I had my op. The worst problem most of us have is gas builds up and causes painful pressure on your insides. Constipation is a problem for most too. So think now about the foods that make you gasey, and avoid them after surgery. I think the best exercise to focus on is getting your abdominals long and strong. I was walking tall from day 1, but if you don't have long n strong abs you'll be hunched over for a week or two. No panic on the exercises though, because housework, organising stunt doubles to take on the roles you fulfil and planning how and who will feed you and yours for at least 4 weeks postop are greater priorities. Recovery from uncomplicated surgery is around 8 weeks. So start auditioning stunt doubles, and let us know any other questions you have. I'm almost 5 weeks post an abdominal hysterectomy plus cervix ovaries and tubes. Its a long quiet recovery, but that can be really positive. All the best to all of you ladies
Unread 08-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Try searching online for vitamins to take after surgery. There's some great info out there from the medical community. Be sure to check with your Dr first. I'm a little over two weeks away so I can't say if it helps but my Dr said it sure can't hurt!
Unread 08-16-2014, 01:27 PM

Make sure anything you're going to need for at least two weeks is at counter height, like hanging clothes or on top of dresser instead of in drawers- and routine use stuff (like a jug of water, for example). I had the cat food on top of the counter. Also a grabber is handy, because when you're feeling good enough to pick up stuff off the floor you'll find that you're not supposed to. (no bending for at least four weeks, IIRC.) For right after, besides the usual stuff, try to get magazines instead of books because at first you'll get bored but at the same time won't be able to concentrate in a book. My laptop was too bulky but the tablet helped.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register