Wheat Berries aka Wheat Kernels | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > Sisteritaville: Hyster Sisters Cookbook > Vegetarian Specials

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wheat Berries aka Wheat Kernels Wheat Berries aka Wheat Kernels

Unread 06-20-2002, 04:53 AM
Wheat Berries aka Wheat Kernels

Anyone got a recipe for a salad using these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Hi!

I love wheat berries. I'm am an Armenian/American, and we use them for a special ceremony when a baby cuts his/her first tooth. It's not a religious ceremony...just a fun tradition called Hadeeg. but i digress:

I eat them almost daily as cold cereal. I cook up a pound at a time til they are nice and soft and plump.....drain and rinse, and add cinnamon, a little sugar, raisins, and sesame seeds (some people add chopped nuts or coconut). I keep them closed in a container. in the morning I eat a bowl with soy milk...or just eat as a snack.

As a salad:

You can add about a cup or berries to the typical armenian salad: chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, green onion, parsley, and a few springs of chopped fresh mint. Dress with olive oil, vinegar and a squeeze of fresh lemon, salt and pepper. For extra crunch you can add chopped celery or green pepper. And some people like to add feta cheese. I like the taste of the wheat berries, and sometimes feta can overpower all the tastes...so I like mine without.

Enjoy.

How do you make wheat berries? I'd be interested to hear.

Anush
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:34 AM

Hi!
I'm new to this vegetarian thing and I was wondering if wheat berries are the same as burgel? The salad recipe sounds the same. Also do you refrigerate it after you cook it? Any info would be apreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM

hi heidi,

wheat berries are the whole form of bulghur wheat. if you're making taboule salad, then you use the medium grind wheat.

you can make a really good bulghur grain pilav. Use the coarse grind wheat. If you buy at a middle eastern market, you'll see there are 4 different coarsenesses. Use the coarsest for the grain dish.

use a few tablespoons of olive oil to brown a chopped onion til it's kind of clearish/browned. on a cookie sheet in your oven, brown 1 cup of vermicelli noodle broken up (that's the thin, angel hairish noodle that you find all coiled up....so you can use angel hair pasta if you can't find the vermicelli.) You can opt to brown it in margarine on stovetop too....the oven browning saves you calories.

add the onion/oil and pasta to a 2 qt. saucepan. Add 2 cups of coarse bulghur wheat, and 1.5 packets of Lipton onion soup mix (or any other vegetable broth you have). 6 cups of water. cover, cook over medium heat. don't stir until the water is absorbed.

you can also use chicken broth on this, but you said you were new to vegetarianism.....so there you go.

Hope you like it.
Anush
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:52 AM

Hi Heidi,

Yes, refrigerate after cooking.

Anush

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register