What's Going on? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's Going on? What's Going on?

Unread 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
What's Going on?

Ok. Had my surg on 2/13. home on the evening of 2/14. I cannot believe how up and down I feel. All last week I wanted to go to the mall. I have been trying to build up activity everyday, but.....Today, I was out at the grocery store for about an hour, came hoe, made lunch. An hour later, I was at shopping for a treadmill. I did some online homework and now I feel like a gigantic bridge has fallen between my nave an my pelvis. I have been constipated. Percocet did not work for me...had to step up to diladid. I have been trying not to take so much meds-to stop the constipation. Started taking Milk of Mag, with a stool softenr, now I have diarrea. Am I doing to much too soon? Is all this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2007, 08:41 PM
What's Going on?

You are definitely doing to much. Slow it down, you'll suffer for it later. Take care of yourself.
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:49 PM
What's Going on?

Hi Diva2005, I would guess that you are doing way too much right now. My doctor didn't even release me to drive for two weeks and even then she didn't want me going to the grocery store by myself. I was only able to walk two blocks daily until my six week check. I wouldn't advise getting on a treadmill without your doctors permission.

You need to remember that depending upon the type of surgery you had you probably have over 100 stitches internally. You don't want any of these to rip or it can lead to some pretty serious complications.

I had a hard time with the constipation until I quit taking the pain meds. After that it pretty much went away on its own. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and eating as much fruit as you can.

I know how stir crazy you can get sitting around the house all day doing nothing, but it paid off big time for me. I am now 7 weeks out and played a full round of golf today for the first time after getting permission It felt sooooo good to get back to some of my normal routine. Please try to take it easy on yourself and give your body time to heal. You only get one chance to do it right.
Unread 02-25-2007, 09:10 PM
What's Going on?

You're definitely doing too much! Some have more like 300-400 internal stitches depending on repairs, so rest is critical.
NO LIFTING regardless of the type of surgery you've had. REST REST REST
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:24 AM
What's Going on?

I would have to agree that you are doing TOO MUCH TOO SOON.

I go tomorrow for my 6 week check and I am jsut now starting to go to the mall. We went to the mall to see a movie and have dinner since it was my birthday and my husband's birthday, and I needed to get out.

The doctor has not relesed me to drive alone yet, he told me on the 2 week check up that I can walk for no more than 15 minutes, and I have stuck to that. Maybe tomorrow he will allow me to do a little more.

I know I can still feel the stiches inside if I turn wrong or move incorrectly so I know I have to take it easy to make sure I heal properly.

Lula
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:32 AM
What's Going on?

Oh wow ... way too much, too soon! You're only a couple of weeks post-op following major surgery. You only get one chance at recovery.

I was told not to do anything more strenuous than lift a mug of tea for 6 weeks. If you knew just how many internal stitches you have, I doubt you'd want to even move!

You must rest, totally. Six weeks out of the rest of your life isn't much, is it?

Unread 02-26-2007, 03:57 AM
What's Going on?

I agree, you're doing too much.

And something else to remember, if you're activity is being done while you're taking a pain reliever, it's harder to "listen to your body" for warning signs of overdoing because the pain reliever may be masking these "signs."
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
What's Going on?

Mschickapee, I agree with the pain reliver. I was on hydrocodone for my back and it wasn't until I went for an MRI did I realize that I had major gyn problems. The pain med's masked those issues.
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
What's Going on?

Dear Diva,
Please listen to the sisters! I only took pain meds the first day I was home, so when I went for my 2 week check she said I could do what I felt like doing, even drive But no sex. I was to scared to drive for a few days but I was feeling so good, I did all I could in one day. Needless to say I crashed and burned and was back in bed for 4 days. During this time I got crazy emotional. Like the sisters are saying 6 weeks is not that long. Better to be safe than sorry. Its your health, dont jepardize it !!! Take it easy Sister! You are not pampering the princess.
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
What's Going on?

Better slow down, sister, before you crash and burn!! I am only one week out from my surgery - the mall is the furthest thing from my mind. When I was discharged last week they prescribed a stool softener caplet daily (whether I thought I needed it or not). The pain meds do cause constipation and when your bowels aren't right it just makes you feel icky all over! That little caplet has definitely helped - I just bought the generic brand of Colace from Target. Hope you start feeling better - just take your activity down a notch or two for a little while. It's hard, I know, to be so confined especially at this time of year when things seem dreary and ugly outside!! Hopefully Spring and your feeling better is just around the corner! Good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register