2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end 2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end

Unread 11-24-2021, 06:42 AM
2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end

Today i am 2 weeks post-op from having everything removed with the exception of my ovaries and it was laparoscopic.

Questions:
I know this brown fluid/discharge we get around 10 days out is normal but how the heck long is it going to last. My doctor says its just old blood making its way out of the body. Well how much do i still have in there?

Bellybutton pain. I know it was part of the laparoscopic and i have had pain here and there but now i feel like its getting a bit worse. Saw the doctor Monday and there was a stitch in it that she pulled out and i thought oh maybe that's what causing it but nope still uncomfortable. Its more like when i first get up or bend over and its almost like a tugging filling but can only stretch so far. I assume its the normal process of healing but would like to see if anyone else has had this discomfort.

I have read where a lot of people are having insomnia but i am having the opposite. Last night i went to bed at 7pm and didnt get up till 6am and that's just because my dog woke me up. Yesterday i didn't even do a whole lot. I just feel like im always tired. Such a chore to just shower and wash my hair. Ugh!

One more question and this might just be a dumb question. Has having to much diarrhea ever cause a vaginal cuff tear?

Thank you in advance for helping to relieve my worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2021, 08:43 AM
2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end

I've heard from many sisters who were honkerblonked by how tired they were; after my surgery, I went from working out 5 days a week to wanting to spend most of my days lying on the couch. The healing process uses a lot of energy, so there's not a lot left over for much else, which should slowly abate as healing progresses. As for diarrhea causing a vaginal cuff tear, I've never seen that in my 6 1/2 years on this site. The most significant consequense of diarrhea is dehydration, so make sure that you're drinking enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow; for a tasty rehydration drink, mix a quart of plain coconut water with a cup of orange juice, 1 tsp of baking soda, and 3/4 tsp of Himalayan salt, or just get some plain chicken or vegetable broth. A few more dietary tips for managing diarrhea: fill up on probiotics from yogurt, kefir, kombucha, unpasteurized sauerkraut, or a high-quality supplement, to restore the good bacteria inside your intestinal tract, which may have been affected by antibiotics used in the surgery; fill up on soluble fiber from bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds, which can help to produce firmer bowel movements by absorbing excess water; avoid poorly digested foods like red meat, legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, plums and prunes, apricots, cherries, artificial sweeteners, fried foods, and processed foods with long lists of unrecognizable ingredients, to allow your GI tract to rest and recover. Best wishes for moving past this stage soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 11-24-2021, 01:06 PM
Re: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end

The discharge, tugging and fatigue are quite normal at this point. You might want to strap in for the long-term timeline for recovery .

The discharge may very well last through the entire 6 weeks you're under a doctor's care. Yes, it's old blood, but understand it's a continuous cleaning out process that your body is doing: as new tissues form, the old dead stuff gets moved out. On the inside, the body reabsorbs, but anything not inside... has to go somewhere. I shared Vaginal Discharge After Hysterectomy over on your Recovery Thread, and posting here for you again.

The tugging, especially when moving, is also normal. Wounds heal from the inner surfaces and outer edges first, and contract a bit to enable the cell matrix to bind. At first, the the tissues are thick, lumpy and not very flexible. That's likely what you're feeling. Be prepared for longer wound healing on larger incisions. My belly button incision looked better after two years as compared to one year, I'm still feeling some tightness and lumpiness on my abdominal incision from 8 months ago.

Tiger_Eye shared why we're so zonked. Fatigue is one of the last things to leave us, often revisiting us at times through the first year. For right now, obey that impulse and sleep, sleep, sleep. Your body repairs itself best when you're at rest.

Re: the diarrhea, if you're still taking stool softeners or Miralax, you can put those back in the cabinet - you don't need them. Add probiotics to your diet, things like Greek yogurt, Kefir, kraut or a supplement. If it doesn't clear up or has a particularly foul smell, let your doctor know. Sometimes we can get intestinal infections.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end

Hi there,
I'm 3 weeks post-op and have jist started to feel some pain around my bellybutton incision. It's a tightness and tenderness I'd say. I never had any concerns, pain, redness or anything about my incisions until now. I got a vaginally infection and have been on antibiotics the last 3 days. I'm starting to worry it's infected. But it healed so well in the beginning! Anyone have more incision discomfort a few weeks in?
Unread 12-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy: Belly Button Pain, Sleep, Discharge when will it end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrevar View Post
Hi there,
I'm 3 weeks post-op and have jist started to feel some pain around my bellybutton incision. It's a tightness and tenderness I'd say. I never had any concerns, pain, redness or anything about my incisions until now. I got a vaginally infection and have been on antibiotics the last 3 days. I'm starting to worry it's infected. But it healed so well in the beginning! Anyone have more incision discomfort a few weeks in?
Hi! 3 weeks post op as well and i talked to the nurse Friday about my belly button pain she said a lot of times that is where they put the camera assuming you had laparoscopic so its going to be sore longer. have a pulling sensation with mine but she said as long as its not red or any foul odor its totally normal just not to over do it. That is the only incision that still bothers me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register