rambling while on surgery drugs?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rambling while on surgery drugs?! rambling while on surgery drugs?!

Unread 07-30-2006, 06:34 PM
rambling while on surgery drugs?!

does anyone know how most people react while under the anesthesia or pre op vercid? will i say something stupid to the nurse??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Pre-op versced I just get a bit loopy and begin to relax. As far as anesthesia, I doubt you will say anything stupid because they put a breathing tube down your throat.

Tracy
Unread 07-30-2006, 07:32 PM

hehe. This has always been my biggest worry. My greatest fear is that I would ask the doctor for a date or something else really stupid.

Anyway, like Tracy sez, once the tube is down your throat, not much can probably be said. This could be a good thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM

I have never had the nerve to ask my dr. if I have pronounced my undying love for him or anything. Since he is a friend, I would hope that he would tell me if I did something or said something wierd while going under or coming out. Of course that would make things awkward if I have since we see each other outside the drs office and I know his wife (our kids are on the same swim team).

My dr. is good looking and I have had a small crush on him. I think it has more to do with his bed side manner than anything. I am lucky to have a caring dr. I will always "worry" that I have said something I shouldn't have.

So it is normal to have this fear!
Unread 07-30-2006, 07:52 PM

I agree...it is a normal fear. And I am pretty sure that Doctors have probably heard just about everything! They surely must be aware that we are at our most vulnerable when we are under, I am sure if we did say anything, most Dr.'s would realize this, understand and disregard.

Of course, having said all of the above, I still worry about asking him (and the entire nursing staff) for a date.
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM

Hi falldc!

I believe that medical personnel working in hospitals are very accustomed to hearing all sorts of strange utterances from drugged-up patients, and they let it "go in one ear and out the other" as the saying goes. I don't think anyone should be concerned about this.

I remember one really silly thing I said: As I was being wheeled to the OR, I waved goodbye to my DH and said, "Good night!" Considering the time was 8:00 in the morning, that was truly out-of-it. Everyone who heard it started laughing. I mumbled to the nurse, "Why in the world did I say goodnight?" And she said, "Probably because you're lying on a bed!"

Best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:08 PM

I had to giggle when I read your question, I had surgery in March, and when I was in recovery waking up from the anesthesia, my doctor approached the bed and I rember saying something about him "looking like an angel".... after my mind was clear later i was so embarresed but of course didn't bring it up. He is very handsome, hope I didn't mumble anything else before going under. hee hee hee.
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:14 PM

i work at this hospital, so I just don't want to wake up and start trashing the supervisors, docs etc!!! that would not go over too well, I'm sure!
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:20 PM

Apparently when I was in recovery I kept asking for my Doctor by her first name. I was still so groggy I didn't even have my eyes open. She came to me and took my hand and told me she was there, and how did I feel. I told her I wanted her to be my friend.

I vagely remember, but my DH told me all about it after I got home.

My Doctor must think I'm such a weirdo.
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM

When I had my last lap in May of 2005 I remember waking up from surgery and I began questioning the nurses because I didn't know where I was or what had happened. Apparently I said something along the lines of "am I really in the hospital?". Also, it seems that the first thing I said though was "why did you wake me up, I was sleeping so well". hahahaha. Leave it to me to use surgery time to catch up on sleep!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register