EKG problem (update) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

EKG problem (update) EKG problem (update)

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM
EKG problem (update)

Has anyone had their surgery cancelled because of an EKG problem? I dont anticipate any heart problem but I am just so nervous that my surgery will be rescheduled. I am so looking forward for this all to be over.

SOmething new for me to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
EKG problem (update)

Isn't it amazing how your nerves can run away with you? I have been doing the same thing wondering if my chest x-ray will be OK and my blood tests. The anxiety seems to just spread and spread From what I can see we are perfectly normal. We'll soon be looking back on it and wondering why we were so worried.
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
EKG problem (update)

If we are not locked up first! HA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
EKG's

ComfortableLady,

I had to have an EKG prior to my surgery (tomorrow). Today I actually had it done. The reason being...I am overweight, and I have had a lifelong history of sinus tachacardia (sp?). For me, I always expect this to be part of my pre-op exam. For some unknown reason to me, or my dr, her assistant claims that my gyn said that it wasn't necessary...until my gyn saw that it wasn't done. So off I went today.

No need to worry about this. It really is simple, painless, and takes maybe 5 minutes at most. All the tech does is put small electrodes around your heart area, and then records your heartbeat. That is it. Then after taking a good sample, the tech removes the small electrodes. It is like listening to your heartbeat via radiowaves. That is the best way I know how to explain it.

I wish you luck with your surgery.

Blessings all around,
Roseptl
Unread 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
EKG problem (update)

Hello ~ I had an EKG today. My surgery is tomorrow. I was worried about this as the last time I had one, it showed long spikes which *can* indicate an enlarged heart. So off they sent me to a cardiologist who laughed when he saw me and my EKG and said your a runner! The heart is a muscle and when you exercise it alot it gets bigger. So in your case you long spikes are good! Soooo when I went today I was prepared to argue this point with them and wah-la it was all perfect! See how ours nerves do us wrong!!!

good luck - it really is a painless and simple test!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-05-2007, 07:24 PM
EKG problem (update)

An EKG is a common test before surgery, just like chest x-rays and lab work. Doctors need to know there won't be any suprises when you go to sleep. Surgery and anesthesia can put stress on an unhealthy heart and if there is an abnormality, surgery will be postponed until a cardiologist is seen or even more common, a stress test is done. It is a safety measure. When I was 43, I was found to have an abnormal EKG. Mine is different from the general population, but it is normal for me. An abnormal EKG sent me to the stress lab for a stress test, and it was abnormal. I ended up having a cardiac cath and it showed 3 vessel coronary artery heart disease. I have no symptoms, just bad genes. I am treated medically and if not for a simple EKG, who knows what could have happened in a few years. Boy, am I glad for safety measures!! Doctors are just being careful with our health and I'm sure glad they are!

You'll do fine and this will all be behind you before you know it! Best wishes!
Unread 11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
EKG problem (update)

My D&C was postponed, not because of the EKG, but because of my thyroid levels. My thyroid is hypoactive (underactive) and the anesthesiologist didn't want to fool around with that. He said the thyroid affects so many other systems int he body. They changed my synthroid and we had to wait a month.

This was because of the tests done at pre-op. I was petrified my TAH would be postponed for some reason but all was fine.
Unread 11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
EKG problem (update)

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to touch back on this thread about getting EKG's. I would do it. In fact, I would insist on it. Why? For two reasons. One is personal, I have a history of sinus tacht. The second reason, what if you are allergic to medicine (anesthisia) and have no idea you are? I had no idea that I was allergic to generic narcotics, but found out the very hard way following my surgery. It was by my previous EKG that the dr's could see that I had no previous symptoms and no signs of heart problems before surgery. It is a process of elimination in determining what caused my heart issues following my surgery. It meant I had shots of Hepron injected directly into my stomach. The dr's really thought I threw a blood clot. That is just how severe it was, and the feeling of me having a stroke went up to 90%. That is just how scarey this was, esp. for me and my family.

Just be safe when having major surgery. This is really not to be taken lightly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register