Scheduled TVH PCOS and keeping ovaries...good decision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCOS and keeping ovaries...good decision? PCOS and keeping ovaries...good decision?

Unread 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
PCOS and keeping ovaries...good decision?

My TVH is drawing near, and every time I think I have it all settled, another question pops into my mind. I have decided to keep my ovaries unless my doctor has to make a judgement call otherwise. I have PCOS, and I just read on some older posts that say PCOS patients usually opt to have ovaries removed. I know every case is different, and I will talk to my doctor again before surgery, but can anyone offer any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Re: PCOS and keeping ovaries...good decision?

Hi Tabby1020

I have PCOS too . My decision was made for me in a way . My doctor said total abdominal hysterectomy . I am glad , because from what I have heard , it could help with the weight . I also know , though , that the hormonal condition will still be coursing through my body. I have non-classical adrenal hyperplasia that caused my PCOS . For me , though , it just feels right to have my ovaries taken too. They have caused me many problems through the years.

Having said this , it really is totally your decision. Discussing it with your doctor or even his nurse/assistant is a great thing to do . I am glad that I have started having more discussions with my gynecologist. Today I brought a whole list and he listened very intently . I said that I was really frightened and he said that I can call him anytime if I need to. I hope you have the same type of relationship with your medical team !

I hope that no matter what you decide , you feel good with your decision and everything goes smoothly for you !

Holly
Unread 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM

D*****ately talk to your dr , he can help you on what is best. good luck
hugs
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:33 AM

Hi Tabby,

My doc suggested ovarian removal due to PCOS when I met with her yesterday. As scary as this seems, it's also almost a little exciting too. I mean I know my hormones have never been quite right with PCOS and what if I get some HRT or something after surgery that actually makes me feel better than my hairy face, adult acne, and male-pattern baldness suffering self feels now? That would be miraculous, but what if? Plus the pain and crazy bleeding from all my uterine problems should be resolved. What if we finally feel "right"? Its just so confusing! I'll keep you posted on my progress and decision and hope you do the same for me. What a terrible decision to have to make. I wish you the best of luck and guess in the end we can only do what feels right.

Wen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register