Bowel Prep Question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep Question? Bowel Prep Question?

Unread 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

Some of you may remember me writing that I had a heck of a time with my prescription bowel prep the first time (my surgery was cancelled last minute). Now my dr. says I can take Fleets Phosphosoda (spelling ?-over-the-counter), but I need to drink two bottles. That seems like a lot. Is the Fleets less harsh on the body where two wouldn't be that scary to take???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

Hi

I had to take two bottles too, three hours apart.
the bottles only have 1.5 ounces, so they are not big
My surgeon just told me to take it follow directions on the box, but my gastrolenterologist told me to take it cold, to kill the taste, and not to mix it with water, it mite be harder to get down. He said to drink it straight with followed by a glass of water sort of like a shot and a beer. LOL
I was also told not have any meal past breakfast on the day before surgery, makes the prep easier.
I followed these directions and did good.

Hope that helps

Hugs and prayers for uneventful castle stay and speedy recovery.

Harley
Unread 11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

Hi,

The fleets bottles are small so it is not like drinking the Go-Lytely stuff (the gallon size bottles). I used those this past time with a colonscopy and added them to ginger ale to drink them down.

My issue was not with the amount of fluid but with the actual taste of it. I have already spoken with my doc and I will be doing the pills for this surgery.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

I was told to put them in gatorade. Now this is just me, but I chose a gatorade that I really liked and now can't even look at the gatorade. I should have stuck to the flavor that I didn't like, maybe that would help.

Good luck.
Unread 11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

My Dr didn't have me do any kind of bowel prep for my surgery, but I have used the phospo soda in the past for colonoscopys.
The first time I mixed it in a HUGE glass of Ginger Ale and that was a big mistake. That was too much to gag down and I'll never forget the taste of salty Ginger Ale
The next time I mixed it with 8oz of very COLD water. For some reason it was a lot easier to chug it down cold.

Unread 11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

Bowel prep. URGGG. That never even occurred to me and does not sound like a good time. hyst date is Nov 13, 2006. I go in for pre-op on the 9th. Perhaps thats when my doc was planning on breaking the good news.
Unread 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM
OK what is this bowel prep??

Well I know WHAT it is, but is it always required? I had fibroids removed 4 years ago and wasn't prepped, so I hope it won't be needed now.
Unread 11-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Bowel Prep Question?

Thanks! I will try to just chug it down & drink LOTS of water this time.
Unread 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Bowel Prep Question?

Bowel preps are not always required. Ii is required for my surgery due to a lot of adhesions and scar tissue. They want to make sure my bowel is well out of the way so they don't risk nicking it.

Les
Unread 11-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Bowel Prep Question?

I don't have any bowel prep but I'm probably going to try the low-residue diet for a couple days before just to help out after the surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register