Surgery in 3 weeks-getting nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 3 weeks-getting nervous Surgery in 3 weeks-getting nervous

Unread 03-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Surgery in 3 weeks-getting nervous

My surgery is sced. for 3 weeks from today. On one hand, I can't wait and on the other hand I'm scared to death. I've had two surgeries before: lap. removal of ovarian cyst and repair of torn cariledge to wrist. I did fine with both of those surgeries. In fact, the ovarian surgery was a breeze.

Still, as the day draws closer I think about the what ifs. Not really about dying or anything like that; more about complications arising that will make a longer recovery (having DaVinci- leaving one ovary). My surgery is the Monday before Easter and I'm hoping I'm feeling well enough by Easter to go to my grandmother's (2 miles down the road) to eat with the family.

I've made a pro and con list and my pros outweigh my cons. Just yesterday I thought about how I'm in pain for pretty much 2 weeks out of the month (at ovulation and about 4-5 days before my period and 4-5 days after my period starts; for example my period is due to start on Saturday and I'm already in pain). When you add it all up it means I'm in pain about 6 months out of the year. That's just crazy when you think about it.

Sorry, just needed to get my feeling out. I think the worst part is the waiting. If I had my house in order like I want it I think I'd be fine with them resced. surgery for tomorrow just so I won't have to think about it anymore. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Re: Surgery in 3 weeks-getting nervous

It is normal to be scared of the unknown. The percentage rate for women having complications is very low. Try not to think about the what if's but focus on how great you are going to feel afterwards. You will not have to worry about the pain any longer.

Take care
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:46 AM

I am new here..but i understand what you are saying about being scared. Like you, i am not afraid i will "die"..it is the 1,000 other "what ifs" that run through my mind. I totally understand wishing it was the next day. My surgery is scheduled for the 13th of April and now i am thinking to myself "WHY DID I SCHEDULE IT SO FAR OUT"!!! ARRHH!!

I've made a list too of all the pros and cons..sadly there is more pros to have surgery! Like you i am in pain for about two weeks a month, as an added bonus i also have vomiting in the morning for those two weeks. Not to mention the cramping, bleeding...blah..and the list goes on.

What type of surgery are you going to have??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM

daisyforest,

I am having a DaVinci. The surgeon is planning to leave one ovary. I am sced. to spend one night in the hospital. The Dr. said plan for 2 weeks out of work, but I have sced. 3just in case.

That's probably my biggest problem, I'm afraid I won't recover quickly enough and I don't have a whole lot of time off of work. Plus, I've had a blood clot in the past (with my first pregnancy 20 years ago). So, pretty sure I'll be on blood thinner shots after surgery. Not looking forward to that, but also don't want to get a blood clot.

Just wish I could get it over and done with. The waiting is making me anxious. I'm just trying to keep myself busy by getting my house in order. I don't have my pre-op until the 19th so I still don't know a lot of details. Maybe once I have that I'll feel better? I'm usually not a worrier, so this is really throwing me for a loop.

Of course, I'm due to start my LAST period this week and that is when I'm in the most pain. Maybe that will get me ready because I'll just be ready to not have that pain anymore.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery with your surgery.
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM

It's okay to worry and be nervous. I was there ~ and had my trip to the castle on March 2! The waiting is definitely the hardest part.

Try to focus on getting your house in order one day at a time and remember the positive that you will feel better on the other side.

And yes once I had my preop with my doctor that helped with calming my nerves .

Sending best wishes for both of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register