Scheduled TAH dilaudid instead of morphine? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dilaudid instead of morphine? dilaudid instead of morphine?

Unread 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM
dilaudid instead of morphine?

I'm scheduled for surgery Monday. I have had problems with vomiting in the past from anesthesia and the morphine drip. My doctor suggested a dilaudid drip instead of morphine to reduce the chances of nausea and vomiting. Anyone have any experience with this? thx....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Re: dilaudid instead of morphine?

The only type of surgery I have had before is when I went under to have my all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at the hospital as a day patient. I seem to recall feeling nausea and vomitting when I woke up. At the pre-op appt, I made the anethesologist aware of this and hope that he will be able to do something to control this for me for this surgery. I hope what your doctor is gonna use for you will work.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:55 AM

I didn't get nauceous but I think they gave me something either before or after the surgery...I had the morphine drip but they switched me to dilaudid because the morphine didn't work for my pain. They told me the dilaudid was 10 times stronger..so hey...if they want to give you the stronger stuff, take it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Depends on your system which one nauseates you, and they should just be prepared to give you anti nausea meds. Often if you warn the anesthesiologist they will give you anti nausea meds before you leave the OR. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 03-27-2010, 12:18 PM

I got nausea meds IV before I went to the OR and didn't have any trouble with nausea or vomiting...maybe they can stay on top of that a prevent you from going there!
Unread 03-27-2010, 01:02 PM

I would definitely tell the anesthesiologist. A lot of times they can give you something before like Scopalamine patches(not sure of spelling) to help with that. I have tried both morphine and Dilaudid and had allergies to both but have also heard of having allergy to one and not to other. Tell the docs and i'm sure you will do fine. It really does help the pain, believe me. I was not happy when I started itching because it meant no more Dilaudid and boy did I want that It worked out very well. Best wishes.
Unread 03-27-2010, 02:45 PM

i've used dilaudid before via IV - it works pretty well. Just make sure they push it VERY slowly - I'm a big nausea/ barfer too - and if they push it too fast you may get nauseaus.
Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
Depends on your system which one nauseates you, and they should just be prepared to give you anti nausea meds. Often if you warn the anesthesiologist they will give you anti nausea meds before you leave the OR. Good luck with your surgery.
Definitely let your anesthesiologist know before your surgery that you're prone to nausea & vomiting and they can give you something in your IV. My anesthesiologist asked me in the pre-op area if I was prone to this and when I told him yes, he said he would give me something so that I wouldn't - and I didn't (although I did feel a bit queasy for a few hours)! I was a very happy girl because 1) I hate throwing up and 2) the thought of vomiting with stitches just didn't sound like a good time, you know!
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:23 PM

addition to my post above - i agree w/ the others - i am a big barfer/ nauseau after anesthesia - the last 2 surgeries I had i had the same anesthesiologist and I let her know about that ( plus bad reflux) and she gave me about 4 different meds pre-op IV & during sugery that made me not nauseous, queasy or barfy -Score!!!
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Morphine does not work for me. I had dilaudid after my surgery. It worked well for the pain and no nauseau or vomiting. I did start itching the second day. It went away as soon as I stopped taking it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register