Pre OP - back to work after four weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre OP - back to work after four weeks? Pre OP - back to work after four weeks?

Unread 03-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Pre OP - back to work after four weeks?

Hello
I am new . I lurked awhile last night and found that I had many things in common with some such as the fear of not waking up from anesthesia ! Pretty common.
My story. Last month I had laproscopic surgery to remove an ovarian cyst, possibly the ovary and endometriosis. The Dr. did none of these things as she said it would have taken a five inch cut and then another surgery for a hysterectomy. The endo has caused massive scar tissue. I will be having both ovaries removed as well as the uterus.
What concerned me after my lurking last night was hearing how long recovery takes. I work full time and make very little money.
I only clear 270. a week. I am single and totally self supporting. I have had fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue for 17 years. In the past I made better wages but the past few years the only job I can hold down is one that is less stressful and sadly, low paying. While off work I will receive 100. per week. Due to this and the fact that I have a desk job my Dr. said I could most likely return to work after four weeks. Due to my financial situation I HAVE to return after four weeks. I don't know how I will survive the four weeks financially much less any more time off. I thought I was in the clear as far as going back that soon until I read the recovery time many of you talked about. It sure wasn't four weeks.
Have any of you been well enough to return to work after four weeks?

I was also suprised at how many people needed someone to stay with them after coming home from the hospital. I will be alone until 6pm each day. I rent the basement of my best friend's house and she will not be home until 6 each day and leaves at 7am. There is a bathroom and kitchen here in the basement. The shower is upstairs but of course she can help me when she comes home. I will prepare food ahead of time. I am used to being alone and self sufficient but after reading some posts I wonder if I am fooling myself thinking I can care for myself during the daytime hours. What do you think?

I sure did not need this surgery to come up at such a bad time but that is life! I keep hearing how nice you should be to yourself, relax and don't worry, take as long as you need to recover but I don't have that option. Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Welcome Princessraye!

Everyone recovers at a different rate of speed. Have you searched the posts for "fibromyalgia" yet? See if you can find some "buddies" with your condition also. I went back to work parttime at 5 weeks. I was tired when I came home. Since you live alone, you won't have to worry about watching kids, feeding dh, etc. a definite plus if you're looking for plusses! I didn't need anyone with me. Just eliminate all the lifting and cleaning you can. If you have floors to mop, get a Swiffer Wet Jet. It wouldn't be too long before you could do that. I'd definitely wait for a shower until your roomie gets home until you start getting your strength back. Plan on resting as much as you can. When you go back to work, can you get up and walk around every hour or two? It really helped me.
Unread 03-15-2004, 06:33 AM

you should be fine by yourself jsu t take your pain meds and you can do just abiut anything... My sister in law just had same thing done and she went back after 4 weeks no prob for her just really tired everynight.. with a postive attitude you should do fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 06:54 AM

HI princessraye, everybody is different and heals differently. Your dr should be doing post op checkups on you and if she releases you to return to work and you follow her orders, you will probably be ok. I have heard from some ladies who have returned to normal activities sooner than the customary 6 - 8 weeks and were fine. Maybe you can talk to your boss about being able to rest if you need to or starting with half days. Healing is very important and doing it properly the first time could save you from unpleasant complications in the future.

As for being by yourself, maybe your friend could check on you in the morning before leaving for the day. If she could help set up your needs for the day within easy reach for you, that would be a big help. Also, if there is a friend or neighbor that you could call on if needed, that would be nice.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 03-15-2004, 07:41 AM

I was a very silly woman. I had my abdominal hysterectomy and returned to work at my desk job after 2 weeks for the same reason; money. I don't recommend it. Not even a little. I don't know about 4 weeks but my experience with going after two weeks left me in the restroom crying uncontrollably at work. All the restroom issues I had afterwards were impossible to deal with while I was at work. Exhaustion, pain - basically I was setting myself up for disaster. I wish I would have done things differently. I'm now going back to have my last ovary removed and I'm positive I will be out as long as my doctor says I need to be regardless of how much money I will lose.

Tamara
Unread 03-15-2004, 10:07 AM
4 weeks

Hi. I am a single mom, (6 yr old), and going through nasty divorce. I go to college full time, 5 days a week, 7 or so hours a day. (which I assume isn't that much different than a desk job??) I had my TAH-LSO on 3-4. I, too, was very concerned with the 4 week mark, because that is when my next quarter of school starts, and I really need to stay on schedule with that. I already lost the last part of my last quarter due to the surgery. I posted alot of questions about it, and recieved various answers... from "totally fine at 4 weeks", to "No Way in H***" answers. I guess it just reinforces how very different we all are in our healing process. I am now at 11 days post op, and really, I feel pretty good. But last week, you couldn't have convinced me for nothing that I would be alright. That 1st week was a killer for me. Now, though, I am planning on going back at 4 weeks and feel I will be absolutely fine. (without any unforseen complications, of course!) You have some other health problems that might make things harder for you, I don't know, and again, I reinforce that we all are different, but just in my own experience, I think it can be done. But listen to your body, and don't do anything that it tells you not to do. Although it is hard to look at it this way when your talking about your livelyhood, you need to remember that it is only a short period of time to heal, when you look at the big picture. And if you heal and do it right in the first place, then you will feel a lot better than if you had tried to over-do it, and set your recovery back. NOW...if I could only get rid of this swelly belly and put my jeans on again!!!! But that's a different story. Good luck to you.

Dani
Unread 03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.

I will do my best to take it as it comes !

Good luck to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register