going home with catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going home with catheter going home with catheter

Unread 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM
going home with catheter

I am having my procedure done on 8/20 and while having my procedure I have been informed (after testing) that I have to have a bladder sling and bladder repair done. I was told that their is a possiblity that I will have to go home with catheter and have it removed at my doctors office the next day
I am none too happy about going home with a catheter and was under the impression that one of the requirements for going home is to pass urine once the catheter is removed.
Please, I really need some insight. Has anyone else been told that they had to go home with a catheter? Am I crazy for being upset? Can I refuse to go home with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Re: going home with catheter

I've seen some gals on here who have. It . Might be worth asking dr if you can stay extra maybe? I would rather do that if I could too!
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:14 PM

I just had my surgery done Tuesday I went home Thursday with a catheter and it was removed yesterday. My doctor told me it was to allow my "bladder to rest" It scared me to death but don't worry it really isn't that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM

If the doctor says you need to go home with a catheter, then there a very good medical reason. You should not refuse to do this. This is for your health, and it is important that you follow the instructions.

While not pleasant, it is not all that terrible either. You will not be the first, nor will you be the last, sister to go home with a catheter. in there, I know these things are not fun......

Unread 08-17-2013, 05:05 PM

No, you're not crazy! Right before hospital discharge, a nurse filled my bladder, removed the catheter and told me I had 30 minutes to urinate a certain amount or I'd go home with a catheter in for a week. Like that wasn't stressful! I also had bladder repairs and have IC, so needless to say, I failed the test. If you're like me, the first couple of days home you'll sleep tons and the time will pass by quickly. Also, I kept telling myself "this too shall pass". When I thought of all the people who self cath daily, permanently, I felt very fortunate. You will get through it!
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:32 AM

It sounds scary.. when I was pregnant in preterm labor they wanted to do a catheter to get some fresh urine from me and I absolutely refused. It just sounds scary. The nurses convinced me and it really wasnt that bad but I put up a good fight (for nothing).
If it is needed then Id go with it. Im sure you need to heal or rest a little before taking it out. Its really not that bad and it sounds like you may be resting a lot and not even realize its in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register