Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): What should I expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): What should I expect Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): What should I expect

Unread 10-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): What should I expect

Hi all! I'm new here..I'm 34 years old and have a scheduled LAVH on November 30th. Long story short, I have had multiple abnormal paps in the past, 2 surgeries on my cervix, and a new abnormal period cycle that has me extremely hormonal:/ These past couple of months have been filled with biopsies and tests because of the sudden abnormal period.
For me, this surgery means reducing my risks of cervical cancer greatly. Cervical cancer has been a constant worry in the back of my mind since my first abnormal pap in 2014 where I had CIN III. After my LEEP, the margins were still unclear, so I had to have a cone biopsy. My cone biopsy margins were clear, however I have continued to have abnormalities in my yearly paps. I have my son in 2013, and after giving birth, my periods started to become very abnormal. I bleed so much and feel like I'm on my period everyday. The cramping and PMS is terrible, and I don't know why my body is so out of wack!
Because cancer runs in family in various forms, I will be relieved to know that my cervix will be out of my body completely and that this bleeding will be stopped come November 30th.

My ovaries will be the only things remaining after the surgery.

God has blessed me with 2 beautiful kids, so I'm okay with not having the option of having another child. I want to live a long life enjoying my blessings with my husband.

So, my fears and feelings are pretty much based on this surgery itself...recovery and downtime...pain, sex life... It all stresses me out! I have even had thoughts of whether I should even go through with this procedure because I just don't want the downtime. (Obviously 6 weeks of recovery is nothing in comparison to my cancer risks)

I have been very emotional because of my thoughts, fears, and concerns with this surgery. I don't really understand why this has been an emotional roller coaster, but it has. I feel like 34 is too young, and I don't want my "relationship" with my husband to change. Even though I am keep my ovaries, I am scared that I will be a different person and very hormonal.

I have a good friend that had 2 C-sections and has been telling me this is similar to that, but is it really? Everything I have been reading has been making me think that this is more serious...it just scares me.

Anyone have a LAVH that can give me their story and some advice for how to prepare? Thanks for the support..its nice to have a place that I can come and express my emotions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2016, 12:04 PM

Hello,

I can't tell you what to except yet as my LAVH is scheduled for November 14th. I can tell you your not alone. I have the same fears. I'm 37, I have 3 children and think I'm just to young to have a hysterectomy. Like you I'll only be keeping my ovaries cervix is going as well. My doc told me this was the only option to cure my symptoms and lower my cancer risk. We have alot of the same symptoms. I'll let you know how my surgery and recovery goes.
Unread 10-27-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acgracie8 View Post
Hi all! I'm new here..I'm 34 years old and have a scheduled LAVH on November 30th. Long story short, I have had multiple abnormal paps in the past, 2 surgeries on my cervix, and a new abnormal period cycle that has me extremely hormonal:/ These past couple of months have been filled with biopsies and tests because of the sudden abnormal period.
For me, this surgery means reducing my risks of cervical cancer greatly. Cervical cancer has been a constant worry in the back of my mind since my first abnormal pap in 2014 where I had CIN III. After my LEEP, the margins were still unclear, so I had to have a cone biopsy. My cone biopsy margins were clear, however I have continued to have abnormalities in my yearly paps. I have my son in 2013, and after giving birth, my periods started to become very abnormal. I bleed so much and feel like I'm on my period everyday. The cramping and PMS is terrible, and I don't know why my body is so out of wack!
Because cancer runs in family in various forms, I will be relieved to know that my cervix will be out of my body completely and that this bleeding will be stopped come November 30th.

My ovaries will be the only things remaining after the surgery.

God has blessed me with 2 beautiful kids, so I'm okay with not having the option of having another child. I want to live a long life enjoying my blessings with my husband.

So, my fears and feelings are pretty much based on this surgery itself...recovery and downtime...pain, sex life... It all stresses me out! I have even had thoughts of whether I should even go through with this procedure because I just don't want the downtime. (Obviously 6 weeks of recovery is nothing in comparison to my cancer risks)

I have been very emotional because of my thoughts, fears, and concerns with this surgery. I don't really understand why this has been an emotional roller coaster, but it has. I feel like 34 is too young, and I don't want my "relationship" with my husband to change. Even though I am keep my ovaries, I am scared that I will be a different person and very hormonal.

I have a good friend that had 2 C-sections and has been telling me this is similar to that, but is it really? Everything I have been reading has been making me think that this is more serious...it just scares me.

Anyone have a LAVH that can give me their story and some advice for how to prepare? Thanks for the support..its nice to have a place that I can come and express my emotions.
First, welcome. So glad you are here. This group is amazing and has been not only a wealth of information, but for me kind of a lifeline to others who are, will be, or have gone through this and get it!

I can't speak to the LAVH specifically, as I had an abdominal with a large vertical incision. BUT I can relate to some of what you are going through.

I am six weeks post op and while there is healing that needs to be done, and it is a process which seems to take forever, I felt physically and emotionally better from the moment I came out of the anesthesia. For me it was like after giving birth in some ways. I knew my body had been through something, but I was almost giddy and happy. I also had this feeling of freedom, knowing the mess inside me was gone and I woukdn't have to worry about hemorrhaging, dangerous anemia, biopsy results, etc. ever again! What an incredibly good feeling!

With that said, a lot of women have some mood swings of varying degrees, but for me it was nothing like what I had experienced pre-surgery, and is NORMAL as part of the recovery process. NORMAL--what a sweet difference hat was from abnrmal! It did balance out, but and I did have PMS right about when I normally would, and was more emotional, but nothing like the craziness before surgery. I am still fighting some fatigue and the need for more sleep than before, but for the most part I am physically feeling good, and if I didn't have a big old incision to remind me, there are times when I wonder if the surgery was just a dream. That's just me and you may be different, but most ladies here agree that after is MUCH better than before.

It is normal to be worried about the things you mentioned, I think most of us did. I think the better you are prepared going into surgery the easier your recovery will be, and the less you will worry. Ask lots of questions, read lots, and do what you can to make your recovery tI'm as much about resting ad you can. I'm a list person so I started out listing all of the things I do, crossed off the ones that dIdn't absolutely need to be done while I was recovering, marked the ones I could reasonably do ahead, and went from there with the rest. Freezer meals were a big help, and dividing up things like laundry and dishes in advance took care of the big three for me. If you'll need help with the kids, now is a good time to think about what you'll need help with, and who your support system will be.

As to life after, take it one step and day at a time. Listen to your body and take the time to heal and recover. I am on restrictions for two more weeks, and other than the fatigue, I can tell I am almost to the point where I can be back to daily activity. And as for sex, there are already signs that is going to be OK too (not all hormone surges are bad). As to the actual event, we'll see how it goes and take that one step at a time too. The majority of the ladies here are very encouraging on that front.

Hope your nerves settle down, and you can look forward to being a

p.s. C-section? Never had one, but my sister did and questioned everything starting with why I need such a big incision and why vertical. Remember a c-section doesn't entail removal of anything but the baby and placenta. For us, a lot more work needs to be done, lots more inside healing, and things left will be settling in to spaces not previously there. In the defense of my sister and others trying to make that comparison, their healing was also different as they had a newborn to care for while they healed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Re: What should I expect

Right here with you! I'm having a LAVH next Wednesday and was ok with it until I went to the sex concerns board here (DON'T GO TO THAT BOARD). Bottom line we are doing what is necessary to ensure we are here to be mothers, wives, friends, sisters, daughters, for a long time.

I had ablation in April and my uterus is already back to the size it was in April when I had the ablation, so I'm over it! I had some questionable results on the path report too.

Hugs to you!
Unread 10-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Oh ladies, don't worry so much please! I worried. A lot. And it didn't help one bit. You wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't necessary and part of the plan to be healthy. Sex is a big deal, and sure we worry, but it hasn't been good for many of us for so long because of what was going on inside. I am not alone when I say that for so long there hadn't been sex without either pain, no O, or worrying about it setting off gushing and more anemia, fibroids bumping around, etc. It really made it something less than what it should be. I knew going in there might be issues, but I also knew there might not, and even if there are, or if it is different, (two weeks before we can try), I KNOW I am healthier and free of the concerns of what very well could have been a much bigger change to my life, and I felt more vibrant as a woman. My husband sees that too. We're anicipating the best, and are open to some new and maybe even exciting ways to connect on that physical level if needed, crossing that bridge when and if necessary. Sending big hugs to both of you!
Unread 10-28-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acgracie8 View Post

Acgracie8

We’re sorry you find yourself facing surgery but very glad you've joined and hope you'll enjoy being part of this amazing support community.

If you've not already done so, please check out our Pre-Op Page which is packed with information and articles that address all commonly asked questions, and the Hints From Members forum, too, where you'll find thousands of must-haves and should-haves!

Also, whilst you're waiting for LAVH replies, please visit your dedicated LAVH surgery category in Our Hysterectomy Stories forum where you'll find many hundreds of detailed pre- and post-op experiences.

When you have a moment, it would be very helpful if you could tell us a little more by completing the basic surgery information in your Member Survey. (Key details will then automatically appear at the top right of your posts). You can do that by clicking on “Survey--Hyst Type” at the bottom of your screen. Thank you.

We’re sending best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 10-28-2016, 08:28 AM

I had my LAVH yesterday and kept my ovaries. I'm 35 with 3 kids and was so worried about being young and feeling depressed after surgery. I am in some pain, but not unbearable and very tired. I can't wait to be discharged and get in my own bed. I think the worst part is worrying about the unknown. I had a great team that made me feel comfortable with them up until the moment I was put to sleep. I just wanted to say everything will be fine :-)
Unread 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): What should I expect

I had LAVH on September 28 this year, which puts me at about four weeks post op. I am 36 and have two children (3 yrs and 6 yrs). I kept my ovaries. I had surgery because of fibroids and polyps, heavy and painful periods, plus she found adenomyosis during the surgery.

As far as the surgery itself, it was super easy and smooth! I was scheduled for 12:30 in the afternoon, and went home a little before noon the next day. I got good pain meds in the hospital, and took a walk around that evening. Once they got the catheter out, I was able to get up and use the bathroom by myself.

The belly button lap incision was uncomfortable for awhile, but I barely noticed the other two beyond some muscle soreness in the area... so much better than the open appendectomy I had 7 years ago!

My mom stayed with us for the first three days, and wrangled children, my husband worked from home and took care of me (I was pretty low maintenance, since I mostly slept!).

The main problem I had in the first week after surgery was constipation. It was bad, and the stool softeners and laxatives didn't help much, until my doc told me to do a glycerin suppository AND magnesium citrate. It was nasty, but it finally worked. I waited until a full week had gone by with no BMs, although I should probably have called sooner.

I took the hydrocodone for about a week and a half, at various amounts... after the first four days, I didn't stick with the schedule, just took it when I started to hurt. I kept the ibprofren up for much longer, and it seemed to help.

My husband worked from home for the full week after my surgery to handle kids and school driving. (We have a two story house, and one in diapers still, there was no way I was going to be able to manage those!) after my first post op appointment (just under two weeks) he went back to work, and I was on my own. This was a little overwhelming, and a little too much throughout the day, but I didn't have any other options, and we managed.

My biggest advice is to stock up your freezer! I had a friend offer to prepare a bunch of meals for us, and it has been WONDERFUL to just get something out of the freezer instead of worrying about cooking, shopping, planning, (thinking!) at the end of the day.

Also, try to get things as set up as possible, especially where kids are concerned. I had the sofa bed unfolded for weeks, because it was easy to change diapers on. I had my husband make lunches the night before, so I just had to hand it out. I also had picked out some new toys for my youngest, that we could play with while I was sitting on the couch.

A bit of advice that I think would be good based on other people's posts in various threads is to take the time to figure out how your doc's office handles questions. I have been with my ob GYN since before my son was born and through both pregnancies... I know how they handle on-call, after hours, and daytime questions. Not everyone seems to find this out until they have a problem, and it seems to cause worry and upset when they feel like they are being dismissed - at a time when they least need the stress! Find out who exactly is in charge of the advice line (if your doc has one) or who will be answering your questions if you call during the day with a problem. Sometimes it's a nurse, sometimes it goes to the doctor, sometimes it's a combination. Find out how your doctors office handles it so that if you feel you aren't getting the answer or attention you need, you know how to ask for what you want.

I am mostly doing well now, and I would probably be even better if it weren't for one odd thing that happened... I had a HORRIBLE allergic reaction to the surgical prep wash they put all over my torso! They put it from about my bra line down past my hip bones and as far down my sides as the could reach while I was laying down (I only know this because that's where the rash is, in a very square shape, I was asleep when they did it). After my docs office tried several different prescription ointments, she finally put me on prednisone. I have had it frequently before for asthma, and knew what to expect, but the shakes and insomnia have really made me feel like I'm falling behind on getting better. Not in healing - that seems to be going well - just the feeling like myself/not being tired all the time parts.

Basically, I would say don't worry! Use this time to plan ahead. The surgery isn't too bad, and while I won't say that the recovery is "quick" it is fairly easy... rest and don't over do, and follow directions!

~Kel
Unread 10-29-2016, 03:19 PM

Hi acgracie8,

I had my LAVH little over a year and a half ago. I had already had previous surgeries for endometriosis. After being diagnosed with a difficult autoimmune desease, I decided to stop the crazy bleeding and pain that my uterus brought me and give my body a rest. I do not have children but I had decided long ago not to have any even before this surgery. I was 19 when I had my first of many procedures and 29 when I had my LAVH. Plus I was newly married! Yikes! Anyway, sounds like this has been a long haul for you too... I know it's terrifying. The idea of being in recovery was very hard for me too, I had doubts right up to the day of surgery. But now that I have gone through it I wish I had just relaxed a little bit more and taken full advantage of the time and letting my body heal, six weeks will pass in no time at all. Take your pain meds as scheduled, staying on top of the pain will stop you from having to play catch up. A doctor once said "there's no reason for anyone to be in pain". If you're in pain you need to make sure you're following the dosing schedule. My surgeon wrote out a detailed schedule for me and I was very greatful for this as it served as a reminder, brains can't always keep track when medicated, so I checked off each dose. I've been in uncontrolled pain for so long that my muscles now have pain memory. It's not fun, but myofascial massage has helped reduce the occurrence. (Also take a softener, milk of magnesia is great, your first bowel movent with suck without it) Make sure to SLEEP when your body wants to sleep. Sleeping time is healing time. I know you have kids so maybe that won't be as easy but just try to rest your mind knowing that the little amount of time in recovery is going to give you a return to a active and full life with your kids and with your husband. Once you are cleared for intimacy by your doctor, that too will be just fine. You clearly love and care for your husband's needs and he does for you too. We've probably all heard the saying "My biggest regret is worrying about the things that did not happen". Face the problem, if it comes up, with open communication and you will be just fine! Also knowledge is power. This site is so awesome. Keep looking up all your questions and concerns, that will help with the unknowns and anxiety.

I have my ovaries. With ovaries we still get PMS obviously but my hormones have been WAY better since, with a few up and downs as my body adjusted its self. And the new stages bring new emotions. I grieved heavily for my friend who miscarried shortly after my surgery. I grieved for her and for my own abilities. Best thing I can say after years of chronic illness; be honest with yourself and those around you. You will have pain, you will accidently overdo it some days, intamacy will take some trying (but it's still good), you'll be tired, you'll cry but you will make it through it all and you will feel better. Quality of life is just as important as quantity.

I'll stop preaching now. I hope all goes well with you! Xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register