New to forum, anemic, TAH a month away | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to forum, anemic, TAH a month away New to forum, anemic, TAH a month away

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:18 AM
New to forum, anemic, TAH a month away

I just discovered this site, and have found it very helpful. I have an upcoming TAH scheduled for May 23, so have a bit of time to prepare.

I have had fibroids for 10 years and have been waiting, but they have just gotten the better of me. They are large, I am anemic, I am tired. It must be psychological, but I am feeling rather worse since I finally decided on it.

Two of them are over 7 cm in size and they are causing a lot of bleeding.

The anemia is bothering me - it's at "10" and I feel as though I am in a fog and cannot concentrate. Can this be due to anemia? Will the operation help this?

Right now I'm on a heavy iron dose for a week to see if I can donate my own blood. It's not too bad, particularly since it's only a week. All the authorities seem to be mixed on whether this is a good idea or not.

As I am getting the ovaries out too, I am concerned that the benefits from the surgery will be overwhelmed by reactions to HRT. I just want it out and then to start recovering immediately!

I should say that I am 46 and in good health otherwise.

Thanks for letting me vent! It's very strange, now that the surgery's scheduled, I finally feel LOTS of symptoms from these fibroids.

Pellice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 05:47 AM

Hi

Welcome to HysterSisters. I'm the same age as you, also had fibroids and was anemic. I took 150mg iron 3x/day for 2 months before surgery, and 2x/day since surgery 11 weeks ago. I only have 2 more weeks to take the iron. My DR told me to take them with a glass of orange juice, which aids absorption of the iron and also helps prevent constipation from that much iron (don't get the pulp free, defeats the purpose).

I think that once a decision has been made to have the surgery we are so anxious and know it will be over soon that all the fatigue, etc that we have suppressed hits us. I have read that women (the caregivers, supermoms, everyone depends on us) just get used to being in pain, etc and after surgery they are feeling so good that's when they realize just how terrible they felt before.

My Dr waits for two weeks to start her patients on HRT and one of the reasons is because people tend to blame any new medication for not feeling well, etc and you need time to get over the immediate effects of surgery. Also your body stores up hormones, apx a two week supply, so by the time HRT is started you aren't adding to what is already there, and possibly causing a sudden increase of hormones followed by a decrease when the body's supply is used up. I have been on Estrace 1mg/day since 2 weeks post op (I am 11 weeks post op today) and have had no problems with hot flashes, mood swings, etc.
Unread 04-23-2002, 05:47 AM

Hi Pellice! Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I'm sorry you are going through the pain of fibroids! I don't know about the anemia though, have you talked to your doctor about this? I would put that on my list of questions, for sure! I couldn't tell you if the surgery will help that or not. Were you anemic before you had heavy bleeding? Have you gotten more than one opinion about the surgery and symptoms? I know you must trust your doctor, but, sometimes you can get a totally different view from a different doctor. I went to 4 before I agreed to the surgery, I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake! You can search for anemia in the search feature on this site, I'm sure you will come up with a bunch of links and information.

Have you read the pull-down menus yet? They are on the main page: www.hystersisters.com and contain a lot of useful information.

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 06:32 AM
Hi sis

Pellice,

I feel like we really are sisters. I am just a little older than you (48), suffering from fibroids, heavy bleeding, worried about anemia and am scheduled for a TAH on May 24! How much closer scenario could we get?

I know that from all I have read, the anemia is related to the heavy bleeding. I used to donate blood religiously, then stopped during my child bearing years. I decided to start up again a few years ago and was rejected because I was anemic! I was floored. The Red Cross attendant suggested I try again in about a week, as it was common to be anemic just following a period, as I was.

I have begun taking iron for fear that my pre-op bloodwork will prevent the surgery as scheduled. I will have waited eight weeks by the time May 24 rolls around, I don't want to wait any longer! I am also adding more spinach and other iron-rich foods to my diet, just for safety.

Glad you found hystersisters. It's all that keeps me sane these days. Read everything, then post your questions here. The sisters are wonderful about replying!

Prayers,

Nancy
Unread 04-23-2002, 11:25 AM

I too am on iron 325 mg three times a day... have been for over a year. (but for a long period I only took 1 a day....... then got low again, started taking more)
It's ferrious sulfate that I take.
I was 7.2... yikes! Now I am 11.2...
11 is the low end of normal.

As for what to eat to bring up iron....... you'll be surprised, do a search online. Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat were really high., I think higher than spinach.

Take care
xo DonnaFay
Unread 04-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Hi Pellice

Welcome to HysterSisters.

I'm also scheduled for a TAH on May 23 due to fibroids. I've had excessive bleeding for several months now, and am also anemic. The fogginess you describe is normal with this condition, along with weakness and fatigue.

I was taking a prescribed iron supplement, but it made me very nauseated, so now I'm just taking two of my mulit-vitamin and iron supplements. As for natural foods, cream of wheat is an excellent source - about 45% of the daily recommend amount of iron. Other options are leafy green veggies and liver (yuck!).

You will find a lot of great information on this website, and a wonderful group of ladies who offer support, hugs, humor, and a shoulder to cry on when you need it. But I must warn you, this site is very addictive!!!!!!

s to you and we're so glad you joined us. (I'm also glad for someone else who shares the same surgery date. There's strength in numbers and right now, there's only four of us! And I haven't heard from the other two in awhile.)

Lisa

Unread 04-23-2002, 12:25 PM

Thanks to all who responded so quickly. It's going to be very helpful, and particularly with Lisa and Nancy's operations so close in time. Actually, I have multiplied my list of things to think about several times already! :-)

Although the heavy periods are more intrusive and more bothersome, it's actually been the fogginess that's worried me more. I was always able to concentrate so well, and then to be gradually getting more and more distracted and forgetful, was really scaring me. I hope it is the low iron, rather than something else. When I see that some of you have decidedly lower iron levels than mine, I really wonder how we all cope!

I've had gradually worsening periods since about 2000, but last fall they started to rapidly worsen, my fibroids began to grow - I think I'm at an 18th week uterus measurement. I've been lucky to have no pain, but I'm starting to feel some pressure, which could evolve into pain fairly soon, I think.

Glad to find such great support!

Pellice
Unread 04-23-2002, 12:34 PM

Pellice, I had that foggy thing going on too! Once I was home and rested after the hyster I could see the sky again!

Sara
Unread 04-23-2002, 12:50 PM
You're going to do great!

Hi Pellice,
I too was anemic but from excessive bleeding secondardy to ovarian cysts. I took a lot of iron beforehand (slow release type) and it did bring my levels up. Also, eat a lot of green veggies, it does help !

I did not donate my own blood - my doc said if it were his wife or daughter he has complete 100% confidence in the hospital's blood screening and supply. My hub is the same blood type as me and he offered to do it as well. We decided for us it was best to go with what was donated by generous souls. As luck would have it, there was scant blood loss.

My best advice to you is to read this board a lot - use the purple search button at the top as that button was a Godsend to me for advice that had been previously posted.

Keep us posted as to how you are.

BIG HysterSister hugs

Lisa

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:35 AM

I can agree with the foggyness and the symptoms. I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow (TAH/BSO) and can tell you it goes away. I actually had no symptoms from the enlarged uterus and the fibroids. Once they were found and the surgery scheduled I had my period (first one in over a year). Then I started having back pain, cramps, etc. - I found every symptom possible - lol.

The foggy feeling got worse as the surgery date approached and it became very depressing and frustrating. Just too much on our mind and trying to get everything done. Even though we are 'super women' our bodies and mind cannot absorb everything.

I have found that after the surgery I am still foggy from time to time, but the doc said I was so stressed out prior to surgery it will take a couple of weeks to get back to normal. Your mind also needs time to recover from the stress and surgery. The first couple of days home I couldn't even type a sentence that made a whole lot of sense. That feeling has passed and things are much clearer now.

HRT - I started on premarin one week after the surgery. I had mood swings and hot flashes immediately after surgery. The premarin has kicked in and am feeling much better. Be sure to talk to your doc if you feel any side effects.

Best of Luck to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register