Mesh removal? Update--saw urologist, how long is surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues > Mesh Erosion Support

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mesh removal?  Update--saw urologist, how long is surgery? Mesh removal? Update--saw urologist, how long is surgery?

Unread 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Re: Mesh removal? Update--saw urologist, how long is surgery?

Teresa,
Thank you for your information. Like so many of the women whose posts I have been reading, (for several hours today) I too wish I had been better informed 2 years ago when my gyn suggested the mesh. I did some research, but obviously not enough. I trusted my doctor.

I had my surgery Sept. 1, 2009, a hysterectomy and the mesh done the same day. ("Just a little sling under the urethra," my gyn said.) During surgery my bladder was nicked, so I had to be "packed". My overnight stay turned into an extra day when my white cell count suddenly skyrocketed. When I was allowed out of bed I could not sit, stand, or walk because of a horrible pain in the right side of my pubic bone area - it felt as if every time I moved someone were stabbing me with a red hot poker in my pubic bone. Gyn gave me a series of shots all around the area and sent me home. Two weeks later I had to have another series of shots. (It seems like I was in and out of the dr.'s office every week for that first month.) Over time the pain diminished, but has never completely dissipated. There was pain during intercourse... which lessened, but has also never completely gone away and sex has not been the same since having the surgery. August 2010 (barely a year after the surgery) I began having continuous infections - even through today - and neither the gyn nor urologist can explain why the continuity. No erosion (or so the urologist says) but still much discomfort and still the pain. And the incontinence has returned.

My gyn suggested removal of the original mesh and doing a bladder lift. But after reading everything, I'm thinking do the removal and live with incontinence. I want my life back.

Teresa, I saw that you said there was a good doctor, experienced with the removal procedure in Dallas. Could you please send me that doctor's name?

I want to thank all the ladies who've shared their stories on here. By sharing your experiences you help to educate others. As I said in the beginning, I just wish I'd known all this before.
God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM
tvt removal today

hello
today is removal of Aris ribbon type of TVT. I am to come home tonight which surprised me . Thanks for all information this past month.
Gina
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Re: tvt removal today

Hugs and happy healing!
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM

praying for you and come back and let us know how you are doing
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:27 AM

hello all
HAd surgery about 4:30pmand went home ith cathether because I was not urinating enough. Barring hurricane it come sout MOnday
SO far not bad- to be seen how this works. She took out all of it but connecting things in legs.
And will revisit if that is too painful.

On Oxycodone for a few days and
hoping this is the end of the dull achy constant pain in pelvic area
Thanks for prayers
Gina
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Re: Mesh removal update

I have had mesh removed Aug 25 2011 and am recuperating. Painlevel is downa fter one week- just verytired.
The mesh was a mentor aris TOt and was comingthrough vaginal wall.
Will have a post op appt next week and find out how much she was able to getout
Her goal was all but the connecting wires ( I call them) as she said those were very difficult to remove and very painful for patient.
Gina1/Betty
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:38 AM

good points above, especially the screen in the grass analogy, i don't know how doc can say it is an hour surgery when every persons body reacts differently to it, howmuch you have grown through it etc. my urologist said removals can be nasty with lots of excising of tissues, mine was only in for 8 months so came out relatively easy but i have had a lot of bleeding behind the stitches, needed two blood transfusions and stayed in the hospital for 4 days after my hour long outpatient surgery, recovery has been very hard
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Mine was an hour and a half. As I understand it the sling was hanging . lower than where it had been placed in 2005 and coming through vaginal

My surgeon was a UR OGYN specializing in pelvic reconstruction.

I see her this week and will learn howmuch she was able to get out.
She said she planned on one surgery but this has been an unexpected event and I hope sh e i s correct.

She did not put this in me.
Mentor aris was my sling and it was made in France I believe; taken off themarket and replaced with another . Neither works apparently for some of us ,
At the end of the month I start PTrm
Unread 04-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Mesh removal? Update--saw urologist, how long is surgery?

Please message me the name of the doctor in Dallas. I am in Michigan and am willing to travel. This is my first erosion after it being put in last year and I dont want to mess around i have to much to live for.
Unread 01-03-2018, 08:18 PM

I hope you have good luck. I am a 2006 Mesh Woman. I had it taken out in 2010, but had to have three reconstruction surgeries. It has to be taken out, so don't be discouraged. Just soldier on and go to the best Dr. you can find.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register