Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4 (Oct 23, 2014) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Tummy Tuck Too

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4 (Oct 23, 2014) Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4 (Oct 23, 2014)

Unread 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4 (Oct 23, 2014)

Progress Report: Week 4
Surgery Type: Abdominal Hysterectomy, Kept Ovaries and Cervix (for some reason I am unable to edit this info in my profile)

About a week after turning 45, on Oct. 23rd I had a traditional (cut open like a coconut) subcervical hysterectomy (removed uterus and fallopian tubes, kept ovaries and cervix). It took two doctors and three hours to remove my humongous uterus full of fibroids (extra large, large, small, inside, in the lining of the uterus, outside of the uterus) from my body. The fibroids had pushed up against my spine causing a bulging disk, pressed down on my bladder flattening it out like a pancake and tangled itself around my bowels. The uterus had "flipped on itself" (doctor's words). Needless, to say, it was a lot of work and my doctors were amazing. They were able to save my ovaries and cervix but not the fallopian tubes.

I had a nasty keloid vertical scar from a prior myomectomy. And about 11 years ago I had a double mastectomy. I couldn't bear one more scar on my body, especially since I do not have children to show for them. I talked to the plastic surgeon who did my breast reconstructive surgery and he advised that the only way to get rid of the scar was an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). I had been "pregnant" with fibroids for years and looked and felt pregnant all the time (pressure, constant urination, exhaustion). So I decided to go with it - I felt I owed that to myself. The plastic surgery was not covered by my insurance so I saved a few thousand by having the surgeries together (the insurance covered half the hospital time and the anesthesiology for the hysterectomy).

My three hour complex hysterectomy was followed by a two hour abdominoplasty. Both surgeries, by the grace of God, went well. I'm glad its all over with but the recovery has been a witch!! I'm ambulatory but in constant discomfort (especially after my oxy script ran out) and have spent most of the the last three weeks laying down. Nonetheless, my doctors are pleased with my recovery. No uterine cancer cells found. The most difficult part for me is my frustration at not being able to be my usual active self.

I was hospitalized for 5 days. I needed a blood transfusion on day two (luckily I had autodonated before my surgery so I used my own blood). I couldn't eat solid food for 4 days and was on a liquid diet. The meds made me nauseous. I took 3 days to "pass gas". I took 7 days to have a bowel movement. I did not have much of an appetite for about two weeks. (It's back though!) My mother (who is retired) has been caring for me the whole time. She is such a blessing. She cooks some really healthy stuff and makes sure her girl doesn't "overdo" it.

As far as pain is concerned here is what I've experienced: I've had to walk "hunched" over so that I don't pull on my scar or tear the inner stitches from the both surgeries. If feels like a tug and pulling on the outside. On the inside it's like I did 2000 sit ups - sore and throbbing. This is the first week I am able to walk upright for about 20 minutes periodically.

This week my incision (hip to hip) has started to throb and itch, but no blood or oozing. I have never bled since my surgery. Because I'm still on over the counter pain meds, I am always constipated. A couple of warm glasses of prune juice a day helps a lot.

If I have an unusually active day (go to the supermarket, get a pedicure, visit grandma) I get tired very quickly. The next day I usually spend lying down.

Highlights in the last four weeks are 1) the first day I was able to shower; 2) the first time I was able to get out of bed without help; 3) the first day I left my house and went somewhere (it was the doctor's office for my post op visit, but the cabin fever was really getting to me).

My non-professional advice 1) Be patient with your body, expect the recovery process to take longer than the estimated time given to you by your doctors; 2) Even if you feel ok on the "outside" remember that you are still healing on the "inside" so dont push your body to do things that require use of your core muscles; 3) Dont lift anything weighing more than 5 lbs; 4) Simplify your life - hire a housekeeper at least for one session or take up your friend's offer to help clean your house for free: 5) Try to get all laundry done before your surgery and expect it to pile up afterwards - have lots of yoga and gym pants ready as your every day wear; 6) Have someone stay overnight with you (or have people take turns) for the first three weeks; 7) Keep water and crackers by your bedside so you can quickly take pain meds upon waking up; 8) Use your leg strength to pick stuff up (squat) - try not to bend over; 9) Stay hydrated and have healthy snacks available (especially if you are having a hard time eating a full meal) - low sodium soups are easy small meals to make; 10) Catch up on movies, read a good book, binge on a series on netflix, get a mani-pedi, find a good devotional and take at least 20 minutes a day to move into a positive place emotionally and spiritually.

Most importantly, you made this decision for a very good reason - your health. Even with all the pain and inconveniences I already feel better, no more pregnant belly, no more pressure, no more visits to the bathroom every 5 minutes, no more back pain.

Looking forward to moving on and enjoying the rest of my life - without my uterus.

PS - if your doctor approves, wear a girdle/spanx/compression garment for extra support. I wear mine all day and all night. The only time I don't wear is is when I shower!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Re: Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4

Thanks for posting this! I am having a hysterectomy, tummy tuck and breast lift in 2 weeks. So this is very helpful! Feel better soon!
Unread 03-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Re: Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4

Hey there!
I also had a TAH (ovaries and cervix stayed) and a TT on Feb 6, 2015. I have 2 boys, both c-sections and one attempted adhesion removal surgery through previous scar...
After 3 surgeries, i finally decided to go forward with a needed hysterctomy. I decided since it was going to be done, why not treat myself to the TT and have something to look forward to after going through so much. It was the best decision ive made. I have never been heavy but even so, i always... Always had a pouch. After the surgeries, a permanent "apron" that bothered me so much. Sometimes people would mention or ask if i was pregnant.. The pouch along with enlarged uterus... Well can u blame them for thinking that? I was sad to have no uterus and no choice about children, although i am 44 and really dont want anymore. But it was the finite irreversable decision that made me sad. But now, i am ok. Actually happy. I cannot believe how flat my stomach is. I am so pleased.
Now my recovery is longer than previous and i suspect its because of combined prodecures. But this is what i feel 4 wks post op:
Numbness on left side of left thigh
Numbness from belly button down
Swelling (especially later in the day) above incision around waist
Scar is looking better, some areas turning pink
Pain if i twist or turn too quickly
Still feel "raw" inside
No extreme pain and i was off narcotics about 1 1/2 weeks after. Just over the counter
Still not 100% sleeping comfortable but nothing compared to first two weeks
I had great help, wonderful husband and that is key to a healthy recovery. Best to all and if u are thinking of having a TT at the same time of a hysterectomy, dont fear. You have to recover from the hyst why not recover from two at the same time. But remember, only your DR can tell you if you are a candidate and if its safe for YOU. If you do decide to have both, please keep me posted. Id love to hear how you do and offer encouragement.
All the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Re: Hysterectomy and Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - Week 4 (Oct 23, 2014)

I also had tummy tuck an hestorectomy at the same time. Yes a little longer recovery. But no regrets best thing I could of done for self
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:41 PM

THis was such a thorough post and i enjoyed reading it. Great tip, about to embark on this journey and this was very helpful. Thank you
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Hi Hyster Sisters. Thank you for sharing all your great info; so comforting to have REAL info from REAL strong women. Surgery is scheduled for 5/17. The PS is running the show. Cleaning and prepping for the big day and SEVERAL days I'll be "down" afterward. Ready to get this part of my healing journey on the road. Kim G, 53, planned TAH + left ovary removal, leaving right ovary + Abdominoplasty.
Unread 10-31-2018, 12:39 PM

I am glad I found this thread...I am 55 and have been dealing with fibroids for nearly five years. My OBGYN kept telling me to "wait it out" because of my age and menopause should hit soon, then the fibroids will shrink and all will be good. I had scheduled a TT for last week, but canceled it because in the time since planning it three months ago, I have had a period that hasn't ended since August 20 and has been so heavy and unpredictable that I'm afraid to leave the house. Yesterday I saw a new OBGYN for a second opinion and he agreed to do a hysterectomy. I told him about canceling the TT due to not being able to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes if I went through with it, had to get my priorities in order. It turns out he is good friends with the plastic surgeon and he said I could have both the TT and the hyst done at the same time! So now I am in the scheduling phase, coordinating with both doctors, my job, and my husband's job. I am looking forward to having my life back and my body back as well (I had twins 24 years ago and my belly never fully went back to normal as it was so stretched out). But, I am terrified of pain and would appreciate any advice on dealing with that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register