Radiation woes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation woes Radiation woes

Unread 10-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Radiation woes

Today was treatment number 19 and meeting with the Rad/onc. I was certain that she had said twenty-five treatments externally then three internal ones. Today she tells me that the 25 were to be at an certain strength and then three more at a stronger one called a boost. After counting the days I was very upset that treatment was to be even longer. She did say that the internal could start next week before the other was completed.
I have not read of others referring to a 'boost.
Have any other had to experience this.
I know it is only three days, but tonight that seems like an eternity.
Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Radiation woes

Hi, Jean. I, too, was thinking that I'd have 25 treatments. I ended up having 28 and while no one referred to anything as a "boost", it did seem that the last few were longer than all the others. But I remember feeling just like you. Oh! I was psyched thinking I was almost done and then, was so upset when they told me there were more to come. Well, eventually, I did finish the treatment. And the three internal were not that horrible.

It's really a lot to go through, but we do get through it one day at a time.

God bless.
Unread 10-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Radiation woes

Thanks for the quick response Maureenie. I fee better just knowing that I not the only one to have more than 25 treatments. Since I am always analizing every word I had myself convinced that something was wrong for me to need more.
this now appears to at least a prodical for some. I know it is only three more days. I will see if the treatments are longer. Now I count to 18 two times.
How soon after did you start your internal? As I said I will start next week, before I finish with the external. That will hurry things along a bit.
Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Radiation boost

Hi Jean, I didn't have a gyn cancer. I had ductal carcinoma in situ. Type of breast cancer in which the tumor is encapsulated and slow growing. Best thing you can get when it comes to breast cancer. Any ways, I did have a total of 33 radiation treatments, the last five of which were a boost. In my case the first 28 treatments were aimed at basically the whole breast. The last five which were the boost were simply aimed at the smaller area where the tumor had been located prior to the lumpectomy.

So I don't think the radiation in the boost is any stronger, just aimed at a smaller area.

Good luck. The days will pass and it will come to an end.

Mary D.
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:26 AM
HI!

My last radiation treatment was a "boost" but it didn't seem to last longer than the others, but it could have been. I guess it is very common. Good luck witht the rest of your treatments. I know how it feels to want it to be OVER. It will be.
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Radiation woes

Hi, Jean. I want to say that I had at least one week between the external and the start of the internal. The internal were, in fact, once a week for three weeks. I had the "HDR" or high dose rate brachytherapy. (Some ladies here have had "LDR" or low dose rate which is the same thing only there's one very long treatment sometimes lasting more than 24 hours). The treatments were for 5-8 minutes at a time and were scheduled only on days that the physicist was there. Good luck to you. Hope everything finishes up smoothly and that your side effects are minimal.
Unread 10-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Radiation woes

Hi , just wanted to wish you well with the rest of your treatment . I remember , only too well , longing for
mine to be over !

I met two other women , both being treated for breast cancer , who received "boost" treatments . I think
it must be quite a common procedure .

Hang in there... it will be a great feeling when you finish!

Best Wishes , Maggie.
Unread 10-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi Jean,

I too was told only 25 treatments and had to actualy 30, with the last two or three were a boost. For me that meant a larger area was radiated. You know how they put that ring in the machine, that is fit for you. (well at least that is how mine was) The last ones which are the boost doesn't have that ring. so, I'm assuming that it was radiating a larger area that time.

I had the internal radiation for three days straight, where I was admitted to the hospital because I was radia active.

I was pretty upset that I had to do a whole other week of radiation, but I just chalked it up to the radiaologist knows what he is doing and if he thinks I need more, then I need more.

Good luck to you...

's and ers to you...
Unread 10-31-2003, 05:36 PM
Radiation woes

I just want to fill all in as to what has happened this week. On Monday my rad/onc. informed me that in addition to the 28 external treatment I was also to have three additional "boost" treatment. On Wednesday she surprised me by telling me that I could start the internal treatments on Friday (today) even though I still have six external to go. Thsi way with my second internal next Friday and the last on the 14th, I will be finished just two weeks from today. YEAH.
Has anyone else had both treatments at the same time?
Todays treatment was much easiler than I had expected and was completed in less than two hours!!
Jean
Unread 11-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Boost

I also was told 25 then I had 3 internal and 3 boosts at the end.
The Dr. said that since I was doing so well , they thought I could take the boost.

Ask your Dr. if it is going to push you over 5000 rads.
The reason I say this is that doctors sometimes say going over 5000 rads can increase your chances of bowel problems.

Therefore just ask if the boost is necessary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register