Is Hysterectomy during period safe? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is Hysterectomy during period safe? Is Hysterectomy during period safe?

Unread 01-20-2021, 02:07 PM
Is Hysterectomy during period safe?

Hi,
My gynaecologist offered me hysterectomy with both ovary and tube removal. Is it ok to go for the procedure during the period?

I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday, so can anybody give an answer before Friday, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2021, 05:34 PM
Re: Is Hysterectomy during period safe?

It shouldn’t be a problem, many sisters had their hysterectomy during their periods.

Feel free to check with your surgeon’s office for reassurance
Unread 01-20-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip2021 View Post
Hi,
My gynaecologist offered me hysterectomy with both ovary and tube removal. Is it ok to go for the procedure during the period?

I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday, so can anybody give an answer before Friday, please?
I was on my period during mine and everything went great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2021, 05:41 PM

and

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem (it wasn't for my surgery either), but it's still important that you ask your doctor if it will be a problem or not. Always ask your doctor any questions that you have.

There is information to help in the Pre-Op Page, and you may also find it helpful to browse in Checkpoints, Hints From Members, Our “Must Have” List Preparing for Hysterectomy, Our Hysterectomy Stories and the Video Library while you prepare for your surgery.

Best wishes to you!

Unread 01-21-2021, 03:40 AM

As I've heard from other sisters, going into surgery while on one's period is actually quite common, and it shouldn't have any effect. After all, heavy periods are one reason why women have hysterectomies, so your surgical team will be prepared for it if you let them know. They'll provide you with a pad and a special pair of panties to wear into the operating room, which will be removed once you're asleep, then when you wake up, you'll be done worrying about it. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 01-21-2021, 07:28 AM

Thanks everyone. That’s really helpful. Can you give me some idea about HRT please? Is it really necessary to take HRT? I if I don’t take HRT then what will happen in my body? Sorry for asked to many questions. It will be great if you could give me answers at your earliest convenience please.
Unread 01-25-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I had my period the day of my surgery. Surgery went off without a hitch. Just check with the doctor before you take anything for cramps if you have them.
Unread 01-25-2021, 03:45 PM

I started my period the morning of my hysterectomy. I mentioned it to my doctor when I went in, but he said it was fine. I had no complications at all, all went very smoothly.
Unread 01-25-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Make sure to get a list of items you CAN NOT take. I didn't pay attention to the ingredients and almost lost my surgery date bc I took excedrin. Just check ALL your ingredients in ALL you take, even over counter items. I had stopped taking some other items weeks before my surgery and thank goodness, it had ingredients in it that specifically says, stop taking up to 2 weeks before any surgery.
Unread 02-02-2021, 11:06 AM

I was having a VERY heavy period last week for my robotic assisted hysterectomy with both ovaries and tubes removed. I went from heavy bleeding to menopause in the same day! Amazing! I think that happens a lot - the nurses were used to that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register