6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips 6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM
6 weeks post op, doing well, some tips

I had my subtotal abdominal hysterectomy on 11/30. Both my ovaries were removed. I am now on HRT, since 2 weeks post-op.

I've posted my castle story and here is the link: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=182176
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:59 AM

This is the best onfo. yet...Thanks for giving us your time and education.
Unread 01-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Very Good Information Kalena, Thank you so Much!!!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 06:02 PM

Kalena,
Most hospitals do not want you to bring your own medications. They might give you something that could "clash" with what you're taking, or intensify the effect. The result could be an overdose. But, evidently, you survived the experience.

Whenever I take pain medications at home, I try to put a yellow sticky note (Post It note) up on my bathroom mirror, saying what I took and when I took it. That way, I can recall later (when my brain may be foggy) and my DH would also be aware of what I took, in case something goes wrong. I once took two different migraine medications within a few hours. I found myself sitting on the floor, in the middle of the bedroom, with no memory of how I got there. Scary !

Thanks for your suggestions -- especially about listening to your body and not taking guff from from the nursing staff. I'm sure they'll be very helpful to a lot of people.

Barbara
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:53 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Barbara P
[b]Kalena,
Most hospitals do not want you to bring your own medications. They might give you something that could "clash" with what you're taking, or intensify the effect. The result could be an overdose. But, evidently, you survived the experience.

The nursing staff and their almost complete refusal to give me any pain medications the day after surgery was the reason I began taking my own. I didn't want to scare the pre-surgery readers but the hospital where I had my surgery performed had horrible nurses. So I took my own Motrin and told them so. I'd never recommend taking your own PLUS what they give you in the hospital.
Unread 01-17-2005, 06:09 PM

I plan on bringing Motrin from home too. When I had DS (11 years ago), the water or pillow fluffing nurse couldn't give me meds, the meds nurse would tell me it had only been 3 hours 50 minutes not 4 hours, and to ask again when 4 hours are up. When I did, they had to track down my dr, and when they finally got the ok (for extra strength tylenol, it's all I asked for), the meds nurse was at the other end of the hall and I had to wait. All in all it took them more like 6 hours between pills, and I resented the hassle. Some OTC Motrin is not going to hurt me, and I refuse to be in pain over some stupid hospital policy or red tape.
Unread 01-17-2005, 06:50 PM

To reinforce this:

DO NOT take your own meds to the hospital without asking for and receiving prior permission. If you are given permission you will have to still let the nursing staff administer them.

The hospital staff is responsible for your health and well being. If you are taking meds they don't know about it most definitely CAN have serious repercussions. Anything can have an adverse reaction and if they don't know what you've taken the won't know what the problem is and if you are for some reason unable to communicate with them they won't know how to treat it. If something really terrible happens, you (or your family) will blame the hospital, even for your own mistake.

If you have a concern about receiving the pain meds that you need when you need them, talk to your DR in advance. S/he can be sure to note in your chart to give you meds early if necessary.

PLEASE BE SAFE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register