Home after TVH - there's nothing to fear! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home after TVH - there's nothing to fear! Home after TVH - there's nothing to fear!

Unread 02-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Home after TVH - there's nothing to fear!

Just wanted to reassure all you ladies awaiting a TVH that the waiting really is the worst part.

I'm just home after surgery on 23rd and felt amazing from Day 1. I felt far worse after having a baby!

It is frustrating having to take things slow over the next few weeks, but try not to be scared if you are having the same op. You really will be fine.

Good Luck to All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 05:50 AM

Hi Im glad you are getting by . I have to agree the waiting is the worst part . I was given the choice of whether I wanted to get it done right away since i was already in for pain or to go home fist and get it done in a week or two I said : no Since Im already in I willget it done tomorrow .

mei
4wks post Op now
Unread 02-27-2004, 06:10 AM

So glad to read your post NicN. I am pleased that all went well with you. I know you will rest and let yourself heal. As I get closer, (it still feels so far away), I appreciate these home from the castle stories more and more. Just keep feeling all the warm wishes and positive thoughts coming your way from your sisters! Leslie
Unread 02-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Re: Home after TVH - there's nothing to fear!

NicN ...you made it to the other side and now your a too...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I couldn't agree with you more as to the surgery being a breeze...it really is easier then childbirth and that aftermath.
Unread 02-27-2004, 08:07 AM
Not always easy...

Hi, It is so nice to hear a sister had an easy surgery and her recovery is going well. I also venture to say that many others with similar complications free surgeries probably do not post as it is natural for one with a problems to come seeking advice or to vent.
While we all pray we have an easy surgery too, unfortunately our outcomes are not always that rosy. The reality is this is major surgery and while very doable we can expect some pain and discomfort, a relatively long recovery period, and cannot rule out the possibility of complications too.
In a nutshell, each women will have a different experience and often it will be better than what they may have anticipated going into major surgery. Such things as individual pain thresholds, type of procedures undergone, varing healing speeds affect each of us. For many the waiting truly will be the hardest part and we sincerely wish this for all sisters. And, even if a complication(s) hits us, we see by reading the post of those strong sisters who have overcome even difficult problems, that we can and will overcome these too.
Here's wishing each LIW a complications free surgery and recovery and if necessary the courage and strength to overcome any difficulties. s and blessings, peggiesue
Unread 02-27-2004, 08:21 AM

I think mine would have been a breeze to if i didnt have the repairs done it takes a little bit longer to recover from that. Good luck to all of you and congradulations on making it to the other side NicN.................Glory
Unread 02-27-2004, 08:33 AM

Thank you for your post! I have a TVH this Tuesday! I had horrible childbirths - so when my doctor asked me what they were like and I told him he stated that this would be easier than what i'd already been through having my 2 kids! Thank you for backing that up - he's a male so how would he know? LOL!! Nice to hear from someone who's been there!!!!!
Unread 02-28-2004, 07:38 AM

Welcome Home ((((NicN))) I'm so happy that your surgery went well. That is always great to hear.

I also had a TVH, over 3 years ago now (can't believe how time flies!) and also remember posting that it all went great and that the pain was far less than I expected. In my case, it was, in part, due to the fact that I went in, expecting a TAH/BSO and ended up with a TVH, keeping the ovaries. In fact, in those early days, the only pain I had was from the posterior repair, and that was easily managed with extra-strength Tylenol.

Unfortunately, despite the warnings from my Hyster Sisters, I ended up doing a bit too much, too soon, and was literrally floored when, around the end of the second week post-op, I started "feeling" my surgery. I guess that was from the stitches disolving and all the meds wearing off And it didn't help that that was also the time where my ovaries decided to go on strike!!!

Hopefully, this won't happen to you, but it is important to rest, drink and walk. One good reminder, for you and for your family, is to keep the pyjamas on for those initial weeks of recovery. Also, walking around with your tummy pillow (I used it to keep the cat and my young daughter away from my tender tummy) is another reminder that you are Princess needing pampering.

And I agree with ((((peggiesue))) that we are all different and that while, for some, it might be true that the waiting is the hardest part, for others, unfortunately, that is not so. And, whatever the procedure used, a hyst is always a major surgery, involving the removal of one, or more, organs. If anything, just relax and enjoy the post-op pampering: it's not often that we, women, are the ones being looked after and nurtured!!!

Ladies in Waiting, I that your surgery will go well and that it will be the start of a new, pain-free, period-free, life for you. Whatever happens, please know that your Hyster Sisters will be there for you, every step of the way.

Princesses, please remember that there is only one chance to heal right, and this is it. So relax, rest, drink plenty of water and walk for recovery... and enjoy the pampering.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register