Too Young??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-09-2000, 11:30 AM
Too Young???

I guess in reading other posts I feel a little lost because of the age difference. Is there anyone else out there that is in their 20's going through this? My step-mom and foster mom both had hysteretomy's done last year and both are in there 40's and 50's. I have talked them both about this.. and I know it's for the best. I couldn't go on living the way I have had to this past year. But at the same time I dont always feel that I have much in common with them.. Do they know how I feel? Being this young and having to endure this..
I dont doubt that for all women we experience the same fears.. but because I am younger am I going to have more? Am I going to have a harder time dealing with all this when the date actually arrives? I'll admitt that it's just plain scarey and a major life change for me. I am sooo thankful for my two children because for me they where both little miracles.
It's hard for me to even explain how I am feeling.. I'm at a complete loss!
Help!!!
Chime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2000, 12:41 PM
Too Young???

ChimeKT-I am not in my 20's but early 30's(34) & I too have 2 miracle boys. Look at it this way sweetie, you have a life free of pain, free of planning your every functions around "that time of the month" & all the other problems you may be experiencing now to look forward to. I have put off having TVH for 4 years now thinking that I was too young & that just maybe things would get better on their own. I tried all the D&C's, laparascopes, & birth control pills but nothing else has worked. I am so ready now that I would have it today if I could(scheduled for Dec. 13th due to work). I have my days where I get really nervous about the whole thing too though. I worry about taking care of my family during that time & missing work, but I know that I am going to feel soooo much better afterwards that I am going to enjoy life so much more & therefore make my boys & husband happier too. You didnt say in your post if you would be having your ovaries removed too. I know ahead of time(due to laparoscope) that I will be able to keep both of mine, unless something changes during the actual surgery. Therefore, it makes it a little easier going into this. But, even if I knew they would have to go, I'd still go thru with it. I am soooo tired of hurting all the time!!! You will learn so much on this site. Keep reading & posting. No question or concern is offlimits!!! Hang in there & know it's normal to be nervous no matter what your age.
Unread 10-09-2000, 01:18 PM
Too Young???

Hi,

I agree with Cherie, and I am young (28). When you think of all the plusses involved, it so far outweighs the negatives. If you can't think of more plusses than negatives, I would definitely wait. I have been waiting for over a year. I wanted to try everything possible to deal with the adenomyosis and endometriosis. I have exhausted all of my strictly medical options and even the minor surgical ones like laparoscopy and D&C's for the massive bleeding. It is now to the point where my life and the life of my family is so totally controlled by my uterus that I can't take it anymore. Fortunately, I also have two children and had my tubes tied after the second one was born 4 1/2 years ago. So I already knew that my childbearing years were over. So at least I don't have to deal with that issue like so many of the younger women on this site. But it is kind of sad that I will live my life without "female parts" longer than I will with them. Bottom line, you are not alone. There are lots of younger women on this site, some just like you, some with no children and we all understand no matter what the age. And only when you have come to the conclusion that the positives of having such a major surgery outweigh the negatives should you go ahead with it.

Allison

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2000, 03:16 PM
Too Young???

Chimekt I am in my 40's so I don't know how you feel except that you have Children so you are very lucky. I have not been that lucky I have always wanted children and now it will never happen. Good luck with your Surgery my prayers are with you.
Unread 10-09-2000, 03:21 PM
Too Young???

Thank you very much.. the both of you. I know that by having this surgery I will be better off. Dealing with the pain and the access bleeding on top of everything else leaves me exausted and stressed out. I have tried the other option for me and have gotten no where. I know this is the right thing for me.. but at the same time I am afraid, and maybe a little insecure about myself because of this. I know alot of people say.. your no less of a woman because of this.. but I do know others that go through what some call and identity crisis because they have felt they lost apart of their womanhood. Thankfully I have a very loving and supportive husband to take care of me and be there for me and my children while I go through this.
As far as I know I will beable to keep my ovaries. They'll just be removing the uterus and the cervix. Also I am pretty sure I will having this surgery vaginally.. so I wont have to endure what some of you others will. The thought of being cut open from the outside scares the heck out of me even more so. I just want to prepare myself as much as one can for all that is ahead. I will be having my surgery hopefully within the first week of January... which I know will speed by with the holidays and everything else happening before hands.
Thanks Again Ladies
Chime
Unread 10-09-2000, 08:31 PM
Too Young???

ChimeKT, I'm now 10 wks post-op and I'm 39. I had my hyster and rt. ovary out due to hyperplasia and pelvic pain as a result of PCOS. I got to keep my left ovary which was drilled. I have not had any regrets. I was also very fortunate to have had 3 children and not suffer the pain and suffering that PCOS'er sometimes have. I am very thankful that the pain is gone. Just wish the PCOS was!

This is such a great site to help you prepare. All of the sisters are supportive and knowledgable. You will do just fine.

Feel free to e-mail me directly any time with concerns relating to this or PCOS - [email protected]

Good luck and best wishes!
Unread 10-10-2000, 12:35 AM
Too Young???

Chime- I am 31 and just had a SAH on Oct 5. I have no kids and it was a hard decision. But what you must remember you have to do what is best for you. Look at your quality of life right now? Is this the way you want to feel for the rest of your life? I heard so much good about how I would feel after the surgery that I could not pass up the chance to feel great. My husband has an aunt who is 6 years older than me and she to had a TAH and has no kids. I called her long distance and talked for a hour. She said that her and her husband always go all out and spend money on their neices and nephews because they have no kids of their own yet this gives them the chance to share some joy. So you too could pamper the nieces and nephews you may have. Or adoption is another options.
To sum it up think of how you will feel!!
I am doing great after less than a week. I am begging hubby to take me shopping by DR said to stay home first week!!

Take care

sheddy-re
Unread 10-10-2000, 04:37 AM
Too Young???

Hi there. I too am 28, and am scheduled for a TAH on November 28. And, I have 3 children, and sent my husband to the doctor to get 'fixed' last summer, so fertility is not an issue. So why does the thought of losing my female organs make me sad sometimes? It is something I have yet to figure out! My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 38, and she said she felt the same way, even though she did not want more children. From what I am hearing, it is almost as much an emotional recovery as a physical recovery. Did you say when your surgery was scheduled? I have 6 weeks to go, and I will get scared as the time gets closer. Have you told your kids? How did they take the news? My oldest (7) was freked out when I went to have the laporoscopy this summer, and started crying when I told him I was actually going to stay in the hospital later this year.

Email me if you want, we could always support each other through this~!

Ami
TAH~28 November 2000.
[email protected]

Unread 10-10-2000, 12:28 PM
Too Young???

HI there. I'm only 30 and am schedualed for a Hyst on Oct 17th. I know how you feel. Fertility is not an issue for me either, I have 2 beautiful children and a "fixed" husband! But it's kinda strange knowing that I won't be capable of carring anymore children, eventhough I don't want to. But to me what's even stranger is choosing to live with the pain that I have. Quality of life is very important, and I'm tired of the emotional and physical pain of endometriosis. I'm ready to enjoy "all" aspects of marriage and life. Good luck!
Christy
Unread 10-10-2000, 12:37 PM
Too Young???

ChimeT and the others, I really don't think it is an issue of age or even fertility. It is basically a whole emotional roller coaster. Yes, I want this hyster to happen and to happen as soon as possible. For me it will mean no more erratic and heavy periods - if you can call this erratic thing I've been having periods (there's nothing periodic about them !!!). It will also mean no more protruding rectum and no more UTI's . And while I know there will be a lot of after the operation, there will hopefully be no more . If you add the fact that I will, most likely, loose a bit of weight, loose the pain and feel generally better, no wonder I'm looking forward to the hyster!!

OTOH, I'm scared out of my mind!!! I've never had a major operation before, have always been very apprehensive of anaesthesia (don't know why - never had a reaction!!!) and am not very good with pain (I'm considered a whimp by my MIL - a VERY strong woman). I'm also grieving all the babies I won't be having - This from the lady who was petrified that the symptoms were caused by an unwanted pregnancy? - Give me a break. I've also got issues about being menapausal at 44, about loosing my "feminity" - like it's linked to my uterus!!! About being empty. I jest, but the issues and the emotions are real :'(.

I think all these issues and mixed up feelings have a lot to do with the stress of going for a major surgery, but also from the havock that these out-of-whack hormones are playing on our system.

Like others have said, just think of the positive side: no more pain, no more erratic bleeding and, best of all, NO MORE PERIODS!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register