Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: Told today I need hysterectomy due to multi embedded fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: Told today I need hysterectomy due to multi embedded fibroids Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: Told today I need hysterectomy due to multi embedded fibroids

Unread 06-17-2020, 12:21 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: Told today I need hysterectomy due to multi embedded fibroids

Is there an app for my android? The HysterSisters link to it listed on this site, doesn't work.

Children: none never been pregnant

Married: never

My uterus measures:
16.0cm x 9.1cm x 8.2cm

Transvaginal ultrasound shows:

1) 5.4 x 5.7 x 5.4 cm in the body

2) 4.4 x 3.7 x 4.0 cm in the fundus

3) 2.9 x 3.3 x 3.5 cm on the left in the body with central calcifications

Fibroids are too large to shrink

My stomach looks like it is 3-4ms pregnant, and I've never been pregnant.

The fibroids grew fast within the past year. My stomach is hard, periods are very heavy, blot clots when I sneeze or cough, anemia and fatigue.

Doc wants to remove:

1) Uterus

2) Cervix

3) Fallopian Tubes

She wont know about the ovaries until she opens me up. The goal would be to keep them.

I read here about concerns of removing the Cervix.

Why is that? What is the major concern about removing the cervix.

How long were you in the hospital?

How long til you could drive?

Did you have anyone there post op to be there for you?

I don't.

I would have no one to pick up prescriptions, or check in on me.

I'm in a State where I know no one. I lost my job. I'm Athiest. They're mostly Religious people who stay within their close knit circles

Was your incision vertical or horizontal?

Did you have a lot of pain afterwards?

Did you have bladder leakage?

What else should I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2020, 04:55 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: Told today I need hysterectomy due to multi embedded fibroids

and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
My uterus was about the size of a 22 week pregnancy, and my largest fibroid was embedded in my uterine wall; it was about the size of a jumbo grapefruit, and it was pressing on my bladder, causing urinary frequency, and leakage if I didn't make it to the bathroom in time. I was given 2 monthly shots of Lupron, which shrank it to 16 weeks, so I was able to have my surgery done laparoscopically, with 4 small incisions. I kept both ovaries because they were perfectly healthy, and my surgeon and I agreed that the benefits of their continued hormone production outweighed the cancer risk. I had my Fallopian tubes removed to lower my risk of ovarian cancer, because recent studies suggest that it often starts there. My surgeon had originally planned to do an LAVH, which would have mandated removal of my cervix, because he was concerned about more fibroids growing there in the future, among other things; I pushed for a supracervical approach, because my research clearly indicated that it would be more appropriate for my individual situation, particularly because I'd never had children. I spent one night in the hospital; my brother stayed with me from the time I came out of surgery until visiting hours were over, then he returned the next morning to take me home, plus he picked up my prescriptions and stayed with me to make sure I was okay. You likely won't be allowed to have anyone with you in the hospital because of COVID 19 precautions, but they'll likely want you to have someone to drive you home and check in on you for at least the first few days, so I suggest that you ask for a referral to your hospital's social work department, whose people might be able to make the appropriate arrangements. I did have some minor bladder leakage at the 2 week mark, which I attributed to my bladder adjusting to all the extra space; after that, it settled down quite nicely. I don't drive, but as I've heard from other sisters, you'll need to be off all pain medications for at least 24 hours, and able to do everything that's involved in driving safely, without pain or hesitation. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 06-17-2020, 08:26 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: Told today I need hysterectomy due to multi embedded fibroids

Hi ChildfreeOver50 -

I had my cervix removed and have not had any prolapse or health issues. But here are articles to help you decide:
10 Questions to Help You Decide about the Cervix
Hysterectomy, Cervix, and Intimacy
Hysterectomy, Cervix, and Pelvic Organ Support

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with both tubes and ovaries removed; my incision was vertical and 6 inches long. I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days.

It took 3 weeks before I could drive. You cannot drive until you can hit the brakes very hard, turn the wheel very hard, and look over your shoulder without pain. You also have to be off narcotics for at least 24 to 48 hours. Ask your doctor about driving restrictions.

Pain is different for everyone. Some have hardly any pain while others have high levels of pain. It just depends, and you will not know until you are there.

Recovery alone is doable with planning. Thinks precooked meals, plastic ware, paper plates, lots of supplies, and keeping things very, very simple. Here are articles to help you:
10 Tips for Recovering at Home Alone After Hysterectomy
Living Alone and Recovering from Hysterectomy

Do let your surgery team know that you are alone. They may wish to keep you another day in the hospital. You will need someone to drive you home, however. You may be surprised at how helpful your neighbors can be if you ask. Some places will not allow a cab to take you home, but do ask. You may also be able to get your prescriptions ahead of time.

I have had no bladder issues - in fact my bladder is much happier after my surgery (the huge cyst I had was taking up lots of room and pushing all my organs around).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register