surgery 8/21 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM
surgery 8/21

I am reading posts by other sisters who are going back to work in a weeks time others are not leaving the house for 3 or so weeks I just wish I had some insight on what to expect I am hoping I Am out and about quickly I cant sit still although I do intend on taking it easy any answers I realize we are all different and healing at a different pace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Re: I know we all heal differently but...

i'm not totally sure about the difference between DVH and TLH, but i think they are not too far apart. I am 11 days post-op TLH. I am feeling very capable and off meds. i even went to the farmers market yesterday and am hoping to travel next week. i took it super easy, my friends took very good care of me and i'm following the rules. seems to be working, good luck!
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM

My surg is next week I want to go to a Labor Day party and to the beach for a week or r & r I fully intend on relaxing and listening to the dr I just don't want to be stuck in the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2013, 11:07 AM

I had DvH and I was off all pain meds including tylenol or advil by the 2nd day. I also had short stay outpatient. My surgery was at 7:30 am and I was in my bed at home by 1:30 pm.

I am recovering very well, no issues (except surgical menopause issues) but I wouldn't be ready to go back to work yet if I worked (I'm mom and started that work the day after my hysterectomy). The first week I laid in bed a lot and watched a ton of tv. But the 2nd week I was up and downstairs for most the day. I just started my 3rd week and I don't even need to rest hardly at all anymore. My only issue is with sitting on a hard chair. My vaginal cuff gets irritated and painful.

A lot of your recovery will depend on what you are having done. If you have endo or adhesions or need bladder or rectal repairs you are going to have more pain and a longer recovery regardless of type of surgery. Those things hurt. I had a perfectly textbook DvH nothing going on but the removal of my uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes. I was also very fit before my surgery. I worked out daily up until the day of my surgery. I think those things help a lot too.

Good luck!
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Thank you so much for the info I really appreciate it I'm so afraid and wondering how and what kind of pain I will be in when I wake up
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Yeah i had adhesions, so surgery took over 4 hours. Doc said it was like someone poured crazy glue all inside me. my colon was stuck to my uterus. my doc is superb, and very experienced and did an awesome job. I can toddle around the porch, cook amd run light errands at 5 weeks. I cant sit long. I needed an IB600 today, i was sore. So it depends on what they find once they get in there. All went well, and i am fine, but recovery has been slow. I am not complaining. I am very very thankful, but its just taking awhile and i am not going to push it and mess up my recovery. I might be older than many of you, I am 53, but very active and healthy, lifted weights and stuff. Let me say this, if you need your meds, take them. It helps your recovery to have less pain and swelling. Needing time to heal, or needing the medication you are prescribed is nothing to be ashamed of!
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM

When I so woke up my first thought was THIS HURTS, they lied to me! But after getting pain meds I was fine. So don't expect no pain. But for me the pain I did had was manageable.
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM

@charm429,

i was super freaked out going in. it was a peice of cake. i went to sleep, woke up, got drugged and read my book between naps. i was in overnight but discharged in the morning. like CAsista, I worked all summer to be in the best possible shape going in. do everything you're told and i bet you'll be chillaxin with friends Labor Day. If nothing else, it's a goal.

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Can I ask what kinds of pain to expect when you wake up is it a having baby labor pain or throbbing or burning pain or just a soreness
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM

I'll admit I've been one of the lucky ones, I've only had a sort of burning pain or ache since I left the hospital. With one exception, when I got constipated. Do what ever it takes to keep things moving, if you know what I mean. If you're like me and it's not too far a drive, you can probably go to the beach and recline in the sun. Be sure not to go swimming though and you should ask your doctor just to be sure s/he has no problems with you going. Don't expect to feel very good when you get there, the trip will really wear you out. Recline your seat during the drive if you can I found it made my 1 hour trip to the doctor's office, week 2, much more comfortable. While I've not had much pain the discomfort can get uncomfortable. I have hurt less since surgery than I did when I was on my period.

Remember, Always ask your doctor if you have any problem or if something unusual occurs (like this trip ). Only you and your doctor together can decide what's right for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register