Nervous about surgery and pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about surgery and pain Nervous about surgery and pain

Unread 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Nervous about surgery and pain

Hi All,
I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on June 12th.
I was doing fine until last night. I am an RN, so you wouldn't think I'd be that nervous...but I guess it's because I know what could go wrong.
I am trying to be positive....which I normally am.....but....as it gets closer I get more anxious....just on the inside. My husband feels this is an "elective" decision...which technically I guess it is...but I'm 47, have had 6 years of 2-3 wk/mo periods. Now the endometriosis pain is daily and near constant....but still....apprehensive after I read the post-op blogs...Can anyone compare the pain to back surgery, or back labor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Re: Nervous about surgery and pain

and we are so glad you found us and decided to post!!!!! You have come to the right place for support and the best :cybhug: on the web!!!! I haven't had my hyster yet so I can't compare the pain for you but I just wanted to welcome you and I know someone will be along shortly to help you out!!!

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM

HI. I had my TAH/BSO in January, and i too was totally freaked beforehand. i have to say that the pain upon waking was not fun at all, but the pain meds in the hospital were great! you just have to go slow and only do as much as you're up to. Take as much time to heal as possible. It's a slow process, but soon it'll be a distant memory. Blessings to you on your upcoming surgery!
Unread 06-06-2009, 10:46 PM

Hi!

I wish I could tell you that there's a way to compare the hysterectomy experience (including any pain or discomfort) with other procedures... but there really isn't.

I had two c-sections and my hysterectomy, and they were all distinct experiences. The hysterectomy was "in the middle" of the three surgeries as far as recovery goes -- worse than one of them, but much, much better than the other one.

There are so many variables as to how the recovery feels. You'll have an abdominal incision and lots of internal stitches. Even so, the experiences we have are unique. Some have truly "textbook" recoveries and hardly even need pain medication, prescription or otherwise. Other (((sisters))) have more difficulty, and still others really have some serious problems like post-op infection, hematomas, and other complications.

My experience is that I took six weeks off of work but really should have taken eight weeks. I was still very tired and not really feeling that well at the end of my leave time.

to you as you prepare for your surgery.
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Thank you ladies for your support and encouragement.
I'm usually pretty tough (I think)...your well wishes are truely appreciated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register