How much did your uterus weigh? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much did your uterus weigh? How much did your uterus weigh?

Unread 06-29-2005, 07:12 AM
How much did your uterus weigh?

I have a large uterus...size of 6 month pregnancy. To those of you with large uteruses........after the surgery, did they tell you how much it weighed? Did you notice any weight loss? Did your stomach size go down? chickypoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 07:34 AM

At my first post-op check up, I asked for the pathology report which gave information on weight and dimensions of all that was removed. My uterus which was about the size of a five month pregnancy, weighed 355 grams, and the fibroids weighed another 145 grams. That equals approximately 1 pound. I thougth it would be more. I am happy to report that my stomach is smaller and my clothes fit more comfortably.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 06-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Good question - one that I had in my mind, and I'd expected great things. However, I have to say I was disappointed!

My uterus was also described as a 6 month gestation size. My uterus & fibroids weighed 550grams, (normally they're about 60 grams I think). It's good to be rid of it, but I've not noticed a difference to my weight / size at all.

Your experience might be different, but I wish I hadn't built my hopes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM

I look 9 months prego now so I expect it is going to be pretty large. I have my TAHBSO on July 6th. I'll post all my perticulars after I'm home and able.
Unread 06-30-2005, 03:59 PM

My pathology said my uterus weighed 370 grams, and they took 2.2 kg. of fat and tissue with the panniculectomy.

My uterus was 15x10x7 cm.

If you tell your doc you want to know how much it weighs, he/she will make sure it is included. Also, if you want pictures taken, they will do that for you as well.

Good luck!
Unread 06-30-2005, 04:39 PM

Just ask for a copy of your path report. Mine weighed 178 grams.
Unread 07-01-2005, 07:45 AM

Hi, I am three weeks post op today. My uterus weighed 287 grams.
I have lost 6 pounds since leaving the hospital, but due to the gassiness I still experience some days I still have a belly. Other days when I have no gas problems I can tell a difference.
I need to start walking more though and quit finding excuses not too and then I think that would show a difference too.
Unread 07-01-2005, 07:57 AM

What type hysterectomy did you have? Sounds like you are getting along great after 3 weeks. Chickypoo
Unread 07-01-2005, 08:52 AM

Chickipoo,

I had a TAH.....I wasn't a candidate for a TVH because of the size of my uterus and it's garden of huge fibroids. My uterus, with fibroids, weighed 468 grams. My doctor told me that my uterus was even bigger than she had anticipated....so I'm glad we decided on the TAH to start with.
Unread 07-01-2005, 10:59 AM

I will have to have that type also. I was told that my uterus is over 20 cm. ...it is up past my belly button. I have 7 large fibroids with the largest being baseball sized. Do you notice an real difference in the way your abdomen feels now that it is over with. I sometimes have difficlty breathing, always feel a heaviness in my adbomen, and there are bowel issues because of it. I also have ademomyasis which causes non-stop bleeding....plus endo and a lot of pain in the lower left section of abdomen. I am hoping the surgery make my abdomen feel more normal. Chickypoo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register