Possible Post Ligation Post Ablation Syndrome | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible Post Ligation Post Ablation Syndrome Possible Post Ligation Post Ablation Syndrome

Unread 12-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Possible Post Ligation Post Ablation Syndrome

I am new to HysterSisters. I came across the site because I needed to research the connection between the debilitating cramps/ labor-like pains I have begun to experience & the endometrial ablation I had at the beginning of 2012... Initially, my gynecologist introduced the ablation procedure as a safer and quicker recovery option to having a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding, reduction of anemia, and chronic menstrual cramping. The heavy bleeding decreased after about 1-2 months down to light spotting. Cramping was tolerable with Midol or similar. As of October/ November 2013, during the time frame for my menstrual flow, I experienced more pain than usual mainly in my lower right pelvic region that radiated towards my back. Came with nausea and sense of urge for bowel movements. At the time I assumed it was my nerves continuing to overact in my lower back to the herniated disc with fusion I had removed in March on the same side. The sharp pain was moderate and only lasted about 10-15 minutes on Day One of "menstruation" for the two months. It was controlled with Vicoden for remaining days of pain as needed. This past weekend, however, starting on Friday 12/12/13, everything changed. I was hit with the most extreme cramping I have ever experienced. Worst than labor pains!!!! They were sharp & stabbing 5-10 minutes apart in hourly intervals for 3 days. More nausea & sense of urgency for bowel movements. I couldn't walk or move without making the pain worse. Couldn't help but cry and curl into fetal position! No relief came from Vicoden or Percocets. My lower abdomen and pelvic region still remain sore to touch and stomach is bloated.... After further research, my symptoms seem to fall into these categories: adenomyosis; ectopic like symptom complex; swollen fallopian tubes; post ligation post ablation syndrome (had tubal ligation in 2001). I am afraid of what's to come next month when it's menstruation time. Furthermore, from reading other complaints, post ablation is going to lead to hysterectomy of some sort. I'm skeptical of having another surgery since my slip and fall that lead to my back surgery. Has anyone read upon or found relief other than having partial or total hysterectomy as a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Re: Possible Post Ligation Post Ablation Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSLC View Post
I am new to HysterSisters. I came across the site because I needed to research the connection between the debilitating cramps/ labor-like pains I have begun to experience & the endometrial ablation I had at the beginning of 2012... Initially, my gynecologist introduced the ablation procedure as a safer and quicker recovery option to having a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding, reduction of anemia, and chronic menstrual cramping. The heavy bleeding decreased after about 1-2 months down to light spotting. Cramping was tolerable with Midol or similar. As of October/ November 2013, during the time frame for my menstrual flow, I experienced more pain than usual mainly in my lower right pelvic region that radiated towards my back. Came with nausea and sense of urge for bowel movements. At the time I assumed it was my nerves continuing to overact in my lower back to the herniated disc with fusion I had removed in March on the same side. The sharp pain was moderate and only lasted about 10-15 minutes on Day One of "menstruation" for the two months. It was controlled with Vicoden for remaining days of pain as needed. This past weekend, however, starting on Friday 12/12/13, everything changed. I was hit with the most extreme cramping I have ever experienced. Worst than labor pains!!!! They were sharp & stabbing 5-10 minutes apart in hourly intervals for 3 days. More nausea & sense of urgency for bowel movements. I couldn't walk or move without making the pain worse. Couldn't help but cry and curl into fetal position! No relief came from Vicoden or Percocets. My lower abdomen and pelvic region still remain sore to touch and stomach is bloated.... After further research, my symptoms seem to fall into these categories: adenomyosis; ectopic like symptom complex; swollen fallopian tubes; post ligation post ablation syndrome (had tubal ligation in 2001). I am afraid of what's to come next month when it's menstruation time. Furthermore, from reading other complaints, post ablation is going to lead to hysterectomy of some sort. I'm skeptical of having another surgery since my slip and fall that lead to my back surgery. Has anyone read upon or found relief other than having partial or total hysterectomy as a solution?

I know exactly what you are going through. Had the ablation in 2006...every month since that time the pain was getting worse. Two years ago went for consult and ultrasound. Found lining growing back..cervix scarred shut and possible growth inside. When they told me I wasn't a candidate for a vaginal hysterectomy I chickened out. Finally in October I went to a new gyno and he suspected adenomyosis. Only can be totally confirmed at hysterectomy. Had my hysterectomy on Dec. 5 (2 weeks today) by DiVinci. Confirmed adenomyosis and fibroids. Feel really good...and so far I have no more pressure in my abdomen anymore..didn't realize it felt full even when I wasn't on my cycle. Listen to your body.
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Ablation was the worst choice I've ever made. I had mine in July, and I've been miserable ever since. Having my hysterectomy feb 3. Hope you find some relief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Thanks for your response, Gizm. I'm going to schedule a consult for January. Seems it's inevitable that hysterectomy will be the outcome. I really can't afford the time off for another surgery, but the thought of having to deal with that excruciating pain getting WORSE will be unbearable. I'm glad you're feeling better.... sending prayers for continued healing
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendercandee View Post
Ablation was the worst choice I've ever made. I had mine in July, and I've been miserable ever since. Having my hysterectomy feb 3. Hope you find some relief
Hi, Fendercandee... I'm not sure how much research you were given, but I feel a lot misinformed. Can't really blame anyone & my gyno is an awesome doctor. As a nurse I even did my own research, but I still feel that there isn't enough information available about the side effects of the ablation procedure. This forum is a heaven send! Will be praying for a succesful surgery & recovery for you on Feb 3
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSLC View Post
Hi, Fendercandee... I'm not sure how much research you were given, but I feel a lot misinformed. Can't really blame anyone & my gyno is an awesome doctor. As a nurse I even did my own research, but I still feel that there isn't enough information available about the side effects of the ablation procedure. This forum is a heaven send! Will be praying for a succesful surgery & recovery for you on Feb 3
Funny, I'm a nurse too I did some research, but I guess not enough. It seems that having a history of c-section and tubal ligation makes one not a good candidate for this procedure. My pre-op biopsy missed my hyperplasia, which was discovered AFTER my d&c and ablation. Now I have no real options but hysterectomy. Had I done thourough research, I would have insisted on an ultra sound before going through with this. Then my dr wound have seen that there was a big problem at hand. Also now, I've found by ultra sound after ablation, that my lining is 18mm. That seems tremendous to me given that the d&c and ablation should have resolved that. But I have found not one single thing online about what is a normal thickness after ablation. My dr says it's no longer relevant, but I feel very unsure. I just know that I've been nothing but miserable since I had the ablation. I hope all turns out well for you also
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM

Hi,
I have experienced the brutal pelvic fullness and intense cramps that come in waves like labor pains.
I have tried bcp's, Mirena, then d&c for polyp and finally Novasure. All was well for about 8 months and then these pains started. Pelvic u/s shows lining is growing back, is 10mm should be 5mm after novasure and report was query adenomyosis. Booked for laparoscopic hysterectomy end of Jan 2014.
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdandy View Post
Hi,
I have experienced the brutal pelvic fullness and intense cramps that come in waves like labor pains.
I have tried bcp's, Mirena, then d&c for polyp and finally Novasure. All was well for about 8 months and then these pains started. Pelvic u/s shows lining is growing back, is 10mm should be 5mm after novasure and report was query adenomyosis. Booked for laparoscopic hysterectomy end of Jan 2014.
Good eve, it seems that hysterectomy will be inevitable for me at this point. Going to have to make that appointment soon after holidays. Cramping all over again today and only a week or so has passed since the last episode ..... Will be praying for you that all goes well.
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Go for the consult and see what the gyne says.
I get the random cramping, bloating and pelvic pressure, throughout the month too. Has no predictability and is frustrating to no end. My uterus and I have not been friends for many years, but now I'm serving up the eviction notice and taking back my life.
I hope you find a diagnosis and treatment you are comfortable with and find some relief soon.
I'm nervous about my upcoming surgery, but feel the outcome can only be better than what I go through all month.
Take care!
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Perfectly stated, Princessdandy! BEST WISHES & Happy Holidays to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register