What to expect with Outpatient Hysterectomy (LAVH RSO) on 11/16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect with Outpatient Hysterectomy (LAVH RSO) on 11/16 What to expect with Outpatient Hysterectomy (LAVH RSO) on 11/16

Unread 10-12-2021, 03:53 PM
What to expect with Outpatient Hysterectomy (LAVH RSO) on 11/16

Hi,

I’m 5 weeks away from an outpatient LAVH and RSO. I had a laparoscopy earlier this year for endometriosis and ended up with LSO and tubes removed, as well as cysts and endometriosis taken out.

With COVID, the only options were outpatient or wait. The pain has pushed me to decide outpatient. If I have complications or difficulty in recovery they will admit me, but the plan is for me to come home same day. DH and dogs will be anxiously awaiting me.

Everyone I know has spent some time in the hospital after surgery, so I’m wondering what to expect the first few days / nights at home. (I’m building my prep check list!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Re: What to expect with Outpatient LAVH RSO

It is more and more common to have surgery as outpatient, which is up to 23 hours from the time you’re in recovery room.

Obviously they won’t send you if you don’t pass post op tests such as voiding bladder, walk, etc.

Many are anxious about the idea but end up enjoying being home and sleeping in their own bed.
Unread 10-12-2021, 07:00 PM

Hi Idaho,

My LAVH/BSO plus multiple repairs was done as outpatient 9 weeks ago, I was very concerned about not staying overnight but it worked out fine. I had a 4 hour surgery, 4 hours in recovery, proved I could urinate and went home. Considering how busy hospitals are right now I was glad to go home. Had 1.5 hour ride home, was still kinda groggy so slept most of the way.

No issues at home other than normal recovery stuff. After your surgery be sure and join your recovery thread...so helpful!

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2021, 08:44 PM

Hi Idaho Life to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY - you are having an important organ removed from your body. No matter they type, you will still have much internal healing to do. Recovery is different for everyone, but you still need to think in terms of weeks and not days. You will not be bed ridden, but you will need to rest much. You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, and driving. You will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for six weeks and 20 lbs for eight weeks is common. Driving restrictions can last two weeks, if not longer. You will take brief but frequent walks, as these help you heal.

You have to prepare your house for your downtime. Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Remember that recovery is not a contest, nor is it a race. It is more
marathon than sprint. You need to follow all of your doctor's orders
to the letter - no additions, no subtractions. Listen to your body
carefully, and do not push yourself too hard because if you
do you could damage yourself. You only get one chance to heal right.
Here is an article: Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?

Unread 10-12-2021, 10:12 PM

Thank you all! I appreciate the responses.

Best wishes for continued healing!
Unread 10-13-2021, 07:46 AM
What to expect with Outpatient Hysterectomy (LAVH RSO) on 11/16

Please keep in mind that you will have weight restrictions, typically no more than 10 pounds for up to 8 weeks, so unless your dogs are toy breeds, you'll need to enlist your DH or a dog walker to walk them; also be sure to stock up on food, toys, and treats, and have everything set up to make their care easier for both of you. Constipation and gas are common post-op issues, for which I recommend having the following items on hand: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle; fiber from frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, and a supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; fennel or coriander seeds to chew on after every meal; Gas-X; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Other helpful household items include disposable dishes and cutlery to minimize clean-up work, extension cords for plugging in your electronics without a lot of undue bending or reaching, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-13-2021, 03:38 PM

Hi again,
I feel like I only replied to part of your question before.
The things that helped me the most the first few days were:
Gel ice packs, I have 4 so can rotate out
Gas X -for gas pain from laparoscopy, Tylenol, ibuprofen, stool softener
Heating pad-for shoulder gas pain from laparoscopy
Microbead pillow -used to protect my abdomen and I was able to prop my tablet on it while laying down
Extra pillows around me for when my dogs came to visit
Inexpensive wedge pillow
Loose fitting sleepwear
Bottled water
Small table near bedside
Long sized pads -pantiliners were not adequate first week
Notepad & pen to keep track of pain neds. Had my hubby dole out my narcotic as I did not want to take too many. My surgeon made me have Narcan on hand for any possible overdose so I took narcotic prescription very seriously
I tend to over plan and organize so I also moved any clothing I would wear to a chest height shelf so I wouldn't have to bend or go searching
As you have had laparoscopic surgery before have probably have a good idea of what the pain level might be
Best wishes
Unread 10-18-2021, 04:13 AM
Re: What to expect with Outpatient Hysterectomy (LAVH RSO) on 11/16

Hi Brocky,

As I’m stocking up on the various supplies, I was wondering what the wedge pillow was used for? Do you recall an approximate size?
I’ve seen a few mentioned as helpful for recovery, but not why. I know they are used for head / back, legs, side support and who knows what else. I want to make sure my search is for the appropriate item.

Thank you again for the detailed list, both about your surgery day and helpful items!
Unread 10-23-2021, 10:48 PM

My total hysterectomy by DaVinci was six months ago. I was kept overnight because of my high BMI, but honestly I would have been fine at home.

I live alone, and worried about so many things. Stairs, food, self-care, the bed, clothes rubbing against my surgery sites, etc. You know what? I was fine. Barely any pain, and really only when I twisted or bent wrong. Even then it passed quickly. Barely even took any OTC pain meds, and no Rx ones at all. My only issue was utter exhaustion. I had prepped for every possible contingency, and was surprised at how worn out I was, and how constantly, and for many months.

I didn't need any help at all. Didn't need any special pillows. Slept normally (on my back). Cooked for myself. I had someone take my dog for a couple of weeks, which was nice because I was soooo tired, but even that I could have done just fine. I drove two blocks to the CVS two days after surgery. Drove seven hours, round trip, two weeks afterwards, to get my dog. THAT put me back in bed for about a week, but only from exhaustion.

Make plans for worst case scenario, of course. But don't be surprised if you do much better than expected. I was terrified of the surgery and recovery, much more than of the cancer that caused the surgery. In my case, I was worried for nothing.
Unread 10-23-2021, 11:41 PM

I had this procedure on 9/23/21 and I was outpatient, I was actually my doc's " guinea pig " as he has always kept his other patients 24 hrs. Well after coming home outpatient I told Doc I didn't think it was a good idea and to reconsider with his next patients. I felt 24 hours at hospital would have help tremendously with pain management and I would have stayed comfortable and got some much needed rest right afterwards. I was miserable coming home as outpatient. I could not get comfortable in my bed and my pain meds was all wrong, so I laid in pain for 4 days before my doc had me come in to change medication correctly.

I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, I just feel that it is a major surgery so why not stay for 24 hours get pain under control with IV and get some rest before returning home.
Ice gel packs were a must and my heating pad. lots of pillows for sure and always stay on top of pain. STOOL SOFTNER AND GAS X!!! PLEASE STAY UP ON YOUR BOWELS AND AVOID CONSTIPATION!
Good luck to you!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register