Hysterectomy or Ablation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy or Ablation? Hysterectomy or Ablation?

Unread 01-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Hysterectomy or Ablation?

As my surgery date gets closer, I am trying to decide if I am making the right decision...Should I opt for another ablation or just do the hysterectomy and get rid of the uterus? The first ablation failed, but my gyn said they are finding that they often must go back and redo the ablations for just that reason.

I keep reading the responses here about hysterectomy and find that most women have no regrets about losing the uterus or the cervix. I also have spoken to many women that have already had the hysterectomy and all have told me that it has changed nothing and they have no regrets whatsoever. I do not know what I am afraid of...I have this feeling of or sense of loss... I guess this is a normal reaction since I will be losing a part of my body.

I am wondering if I am making a mistake going for the hysterectomy and not opting for the ablation again? I am really afraid the ablation will fail the second time and I will then either need a third ablation or a hysterectomy anyway. I want this next surgery to be the final one and to rectify the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 10:31 PM

Hi,
Someone else just asked this question. You can see everyone's replies in the "Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives" section.

Hope you find some answers.
Unread 01-17-2005, 01:28 AM

While it is true that a lot of women have absolutely no regrets about having had their hysterectomy, and /or removal of cervix, there are women who are not happy with the results of surgery.
If all you are hearing is "happy hyst" stories, you could look in our Road Less Travelled forum, or Bladder Matters, or Sexual Dysfunction --- they are full of women who are having post-surgery problems.

I don't make this suggestion to scare you, but simply to balance with the positive stories you've heard. I know in my own family 4 of my relatives were extremely happy with their surgery --- and as far as I know they don't have troubles. I have a few problems, not major, but annoying (an ovary that shifted and causes pain when I lift things or move the wrong way)

Keep in mind that the forums I mentioned were designed for women with problems, so that is ALL you find there --- the women who are doing fine post op tend to move off the site by 3-4 months post op, for the most part.

You may end up being perfectly fine with your hyst, but , as with any major surgery, there are risks, and you have to be willing to run them.

If you aren't sure you are ready, then I would not advise you to go through with it --*if* anything went wrong, (I would hope not!, but you never can be 100% sure) you'd be kicking yourself saying "why didn't I try the ablation again".

In the end only you can decide what is right for you, after discussing options with your dr. You can always reschedule, but you cannot undo surgery -- so you have to go with what you truly feel is the right decision for you at this time.

I know it isn't easy and I wish you well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 04:37 AM

I had a Novasure ablation on May 24, 2004 for DUB and fibroids which failed. Although it did slow down the amount of bleeding I still bled almost daily. I again tried BCP to stop it but again they didn't work. I also frequent the EA discussion group forum and there are several "girls" there that have had successful 2nd ablations. I just wanted the bleeding to stop (283 days between Jan 1 & Nov 22) and told the doctor I wanted LSH but got SAH. My thought was although I still had a uterus the EA made it where even if I wanted to get pregnant I couldn't and what other purpose did it serve than bleeding all the time making me miserable. I tried the EA first because it seemed so easy and I did want to keep everything but that little uterus just would not cooperate. I did keep my cervix and my ovaries, am 8 weeks post op today and never thought I would feel this good again!

Check out the Endometrial Ablation Discussion Forum--lots of good advice about 2nd EA's.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register