no pre op instructions given-what's up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no pre op instructions given-what's up? no pre op instructions given-what's up?

Unread 07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
no pre op instructions given-what's up?

I am reading the posts about different pre-op instructions and I have not been given any, except to arrive at the hospital 1 hour before surgery. I am supposed to have a TVH. I have already talked about my gyn on here since he has given me no post op restrictions either!! I am confident in his surgical skills, I just don't get why I don't have any pre or post op instructions. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM

I didn't get mine until about a week before. I received it all in the mail - prescription for bowel prep, forms for blood tests and other general instructions. I suspect it's done differently here in New Zealand, but maybe it's yet to come?
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:28 PM

I received mine in the mail as well about three weeks prior. 5 days before surgery I had a preop visit with my dr. and also went to the hospital for lab work and authorization/admission stuff the same day.
I'm sure you will get stuff soon. If not I would call and ask what you need to do.

6/24/08 adenomyosis
age 38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM

I have surgery scheduled for August 6 and have my pre-op appointments this Friday -- I'm sure you will have something as well. No food or drink 12 hours prior, enema the night before and suspend any blood thinners 10 days before, lab work taken a week before surgery - I know it can vary but that is what I have to look forward to -- report to hospital 2 hours before surgery and I am having two surgeons -- hysterectomy and urologist -- fun fun! Wish you the best.
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM

If you're talking about lab work and tests to see if you have any complications they need to know about prior to your surgery (heart problems, lung issues, etc.) those should have been done already.

If you're talking about things like dietary restrictions, if he hasn't given you restrictions by now then you don't have any. Short of not being allowed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before (so I wouldn't get sick from anesthesia), I had no dietary restrictions either pre- or post-op. Anything you need to know post-op they'll tell you when you go home.

I hope your TVH goes as well as mine did. I'm in no pain, have had no bleeding after the first day, and I'm pretty much back into my normal activities, short of lifting anything heavy or being submerged in water. I still get tired easily, but I can't be sure if that's from the surgery or my narcolepsy!
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:59 PM

My surgery was on a Wednesday (six weeks ago today!). My pre-op was the Monday before. When I asked my doctor what I had to do to prepare, he said, "Take a shower." No bowel prep. No food or drink 12 hours before (the anesthesiologist called me at home the evening before to go over that with me). I went next door to the hospital and had my blood and urine work done. Reported to the hospital two hours prior to surgery. And that was that. The doctor visited with me a couple of times a day while I was in the hospital and went over post-op stuff: no lifting, no driving, lots of rest. Best of luck to you! MJ
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:36 PM

My pre-op is Friday and my surgery is the following Wednesday. My guess is that you'll get a call from someone -- doctor's office or maybe hospital -- wanting to schedule you for a pre-op.
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM

I was called with instructions the day prior to surgery. I did not have to do a bowel prep. I was just told not to eat anything after midnight and to be at the hospital at 6"30 a.m. They also verify a lot of information with you during the call regarding medical history, etc. Don't worry about it, they will contact you.
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Kim

Since your surgery isn't until Aug 22nd, will you have a pre-op appointment? Some of us do, some don't. If you don't, don't panic. I had a pre-op appointment a week before my TVH. My doctor answered all of my questions, gave me pre-op instructions, I did my lab work, and all my pre-admit paperwork. I was called the afternoon before with my surgery time and the time I should be at the hospital. If you are concerned, call your doctor and ask.

I was given my post-op instructions and restrictions when I was discharged from the hospital. My doctor discussed some of it at my pre-op appointment, but it was more detailed and written down for me when I was discharged.

Don't hesitate to call your doctor or nurse and ask. It'll help put your mind at ease.

s, Deb
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:28 PM

I already had one pre-op with my primary doctor, not my gyn. I will have to repeat it because the surgery was post-poned. She did not give me any thing to do besides blood work which I will have to redo again also. My gyn has said I won't have any "real" restrictions because I am not being cut abdominally. I have heard many women say differently even with the TVH. I will just have to wait and see I guess??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register