Upcoming hysterectomy 1/29: New and anxious | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/29: New and anxious Upcoming hysterectomy 1/29: New and anxious

Unread 01-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/29: New and anxious

Hello.... I have an abdominal total hysterectomy and prolapse repair scheduled 1/29.... large fibroids on my uterus. I am trying to not think about it and be busy.... but I am so very scared. I am afraid of what I am going to feel like while being put to sleep.. and when I wake up. I picture it like I am drowning or something. Commen sense tells me it won't be that bad, but I still think about it. I have read alot of the stories here and been encouraged... thanks for all the postings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Re: New and anxious

Its tough to prepare for the unknown. As someone who's had around 10 surgical procedures under general anaesthetic, I hope my experiences reassure you a little.

I'm prone to anxiety, a great catastrophiser and worrier! And to be honest I've been nervous before every operation. But every time, the anesthetist has been the gentlest person in the pre-op room. They understand that what they do can seem scary to patients and I've found they take extra care to reassure and help you feel safe and secure.

My actual experiences of anaesthetics has been very nice: calm, relaxing, sometimes cheerful! It really is just like falling into a beautiful deep sleep. And it happens quite quickly!

I try to create a happy visulisation: maybe a favourite place, song, or even just words that inspire good feelings for you just as the pre-med injection happens. That seems to help set the scene for a good experience. And i close my eyes before entering the operating theatre. No need to see all that clinical paraphrenalia. I prefer to let that be something that stays on tv shows!

Of course one person's experience won't necessarily mean others are the same. But please do make room for the possibility that you will enjoy the bliss of a great sleep, and the promise of an end to whatever pain and problems have caused the need for surgery.

However, it may be worth raising your concerns with your doctor or a counsellor/psychologist.. Fear of anaesthesia is pretty common, and professional health practitioners will know how to help you prepare for and manage this new experience.

All the best to you. Be gentle with yourself.
Unread 01-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Aww you poor thing!! I was scared like that the first time I had to be put under and I am totally 1. a big ol worrywart and 2. a total control freak wanting to have every little thing planned out. I agree with ahoy it truly is like a wonderful nap. I know I am out in seconds after they give me the medicine. first I get wheeled in , then they inject it into my IV next thing I know I am in recovery and everything is over. We actually have it easy compared to our loved ones because we are off in lala sleepy land where there is no time (I never remember ANYTHING from it)

Waking up for me was like a groggy sleep where at first you're a little disoriented but as you rest there it clears up. I get all antsy when Im in recovery wanting to get out of there and in my own room to rest without people everywhere.

Talk to your doctor if you need any other reassurance. Ive been put under 8 or 9 times in my life and it is definitely the scariest the first time.
HUGS we are here for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2018, 11:06 AM

You should absolutely ask your Dr. I've had several surgeries before and it has felt absolutely pleasant - exactly like you're super sleepy and drift off - no unpleasant feelings at all. Generally they put something in your IV which makes you sleepy as you're being pushed down the hall toward surgery (think like you took Benedryl and feel sleepy when it kicks in). last time they said ok - here we go....within 30 seconds I was sleepy - barely remember kissing my husband and I must have been out in about 10 ft down the hall . And when you wake up afterwards....it feels like it was just 10 minutes ago....I looked at the clock on the wall and though wow...and then promptly fell back to sleep.
Unread 01-17-2018, 11:17 AM

Hello! I mirror the other girl's thoughts/comments. I had my TAH over one year ago and prior to this I had never had surgery (outside of having my tonsils out when I was tiny!). I too was nervous - apprehensive etc. Honestly - I was so relieved to just get to the hospital and check in knowing that in just a few hours my surgery would be over and I would be on the road to recovery.

You are out in a matter of seconds and voila - awake in recovery. It really is like a few hours of dreamless sleep I was feeling a bit nauseous when I woke up so one of the nurses immediately put a med in my IV and I was fine.

It is good that you are reading all of the positive and encouraging stories on this site - because there are plenty of them! Including Pre hyster and Post hyster (and sisters who have their hyster same week as yours).

All the best of luck!
Unread 01-17-2018, 11:26 AM

This is a really awesome tip
  Quote:
Originally Posted by ahopp View Post
I
I try to create a happy visualization:...
Unread 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM

When I've had anesthesia for surgeries and procedures, being "put to sleep" hasn't felt like anything at all. One moment I'm awake, the next moment I'm waking up somewhere different than where I was. The intervening amount of time simply doesn't exist for me at all.

For me, waking up feels like waking up after a deep sleep, the kind where it takes you a while to remember whether it's a weekday and you have to get up and go to work or a weekend and you can sleep in. I very slowly realize that I'm not at home in my bed and very slowly start working out where I am and what I'm doing there. It's so slow and gradual that it's not distressing.
Unread 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanks to you all... I will try the visualization. .. I of course want to get this over with... and of course want to handle it in a calm manner ... I am so glad there is a place like this to share fears and get such positive comments .. I will read this whenever the panic starts setting in.
Unread 01-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Re: New and anxious/ Freedom from pads, periods, and pain! Yippee!

I had a bad past surgery experience, so I was soooo nervous. I was also not too happy about having a TLH.

Here's some of what I did:
Educated myself on exactly what the procedure(s) entailed (including risks) & asked lots of questions (some on here).
Read a lot.
Cooked like a madwoman.
Did things that couldn't be done post-op.

When the emotional stuff broke-through, I'd remember why I chose to have a TLH. I'd also think about things I could not do pre-op, but could do post-op.

I asked my MD for something for anxiety for the last 2 days before my surgery. It helped.

HysterSisters are here for you : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register