Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Managing post op pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Managing post op pain Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Managing post op pain

Unread 10-18-2021, 08:08 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Managing post op pain

After my pre op appointment, I received a message from my surgeon about managing post op pain. He had prescribed oxycodone, ibuprofen 600, and Tylenol. The plan was to alternate the ibuprofen and Tylenol while taking the oxycodone as needed the first couple of days. Well, my surgeon let me know that he doesn’t want me taking the ibuprofen too often because I am on lithium. As a result, he said after the first couple of days I should only take the ibuprofen sparingly.

I scheduled a telehealth appointment to discuss this more but I’m really nervous about managing pain now. I wanted to get off the narcotic as quickly as possible. I guess my question is: how is pain post op? Can I survive with Tylenol after the first couple of days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2021, 08:40 PM
Re: Managing post op pain

Hi Jh9 -

Pain is different for everyone post-op. Some women experience little to no pain, while others experience quite a bit. For me, I experienced quite a bit of pain, and needed narcotics. The first day I was on a morphine pump that was attached to my epidural tubing. After that removed, I alternated oral narcotics with 600 mg Motrin. I kept this combination for another four days, and then was able to go to Motrin only.

Speak more to your doctor about your concerns regarding narcotics. You can see if you are one of the women who do not experience much pain and see if just Tylenol will work. You can have the prescription ready for narcotics in case it does not.

Unread 10-18-2021, 09:50 PM
Re: Managing post op pain

Hi Jh9,

I agree with marestail, pain tolerance is very different for each person.
Tylenol works on pain and ibuprofen works on swelling which causes pain. I was told to use tylenol and ibuprofen every 6 hours and that I should definitely have a narcotic on hand just in case I needed more relief. So I researched and asked for a milder opioid (tramadol) than oxycodone I took tylenol and ibuprofen regularly for the first 5 days. Ibuprofen upsets my stomach so I just used tylenol alone after that as needed. I did not need the narcotic until the 3rd day post op and then I was so grateful I had it available. I only took 1/2 a pill at a time which I ok'd with my doctor first. I did not take the opioid every day only when needed. It is important to stay on top of your pain as it is easier to manage then waiting until it gets out of control.
Talking with your doctor is the very best way to address your concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2021, 05:11 AM

I agree with the above respondents on speaking to your doctor. I looked up lithium on Drugs.com, my trusted source for information on drug reactions and interactions, and NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen were listed as major interactions, because lithium can dangerously increase levels of these drugs in your body, so you'll need to talk to your surgeon and the doctor who prescribed the lithium about adjusting your dose or taking an alternative; narcotics such as Oxycodone were listed as moderate interactions, because combining them with lithium can lead to a potentially serious condition known as serotonin syndrome, so I suggest looking that up and immediately contacting your doctor if you start to have any symptoms; and acetaminophen was not included on the list of interactions. As for my own experience, I was prescribed Oxycodone, naproxen, and acetaminophen; I had to stop taking the Oxycodone after 3 days because of an adverse GI reaction, and I was okay alternating the naproxen and acetaminophen for about the next week until I was able to stop taking them, being sure to always take the naproxen with food to minimize stomach upset. Best wishes for finding pain relief that will work for you, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-24-2021, 01:55 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Managing post op pain

Hello,

I had Da Vinci laparoscopic surgery and didn't need any pain killers. The hospital gave me one right after but I didn't need to take more. What type of surgery are you having?

I know each person is different but I pretty much didn't have any pain after surgery. Insomnia for a couple weeks but no pain.

I hope surgery goes well and you have a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-24-2021, 05:13 PM

I was given an Rx for oxy, i tossed it. I never filled it as i have a high tolerance for pain. Turns out I didnt need anything for pain, the endometriosis pain i had for years was far worse than recovery pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh9 View Post
After my pre op appointment, I received a message from my surgeon about managing post op pain. He had prescribed oxycodone, ibuprofen 600, and Tylenol. The plan was to alternate the ibuprofen and Tylenol while taking the oxycodone as needed the first couple of days. Well, my surgeon let me know that he doesn’t want me taking the ibuprofen too often because I am on lithium. As a result, he said after the first couple of days I should only take the ibuprofen sparingly.

I scheduled a telehealth appointment to discuss this more but I’m really nervous about managing pain now. I wanted to get off the narcotic as quickly as possible. I guess my question is: how is pain post op? Can I survive with Tylenol after the first couple of days?
Unread 10-24-2021, 06:52 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Managing post op pain

You’d be surprised that many pain experienced post op is due to trapped gas (used during certain type of surgery) and/or constipation due to pain killers!
Unread 10-25-2021, 01:24 PM

Yes the gas pains were the worst of it all! Luckily pretty short lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
You’d be surprised that many pain experienced post op is due to trapped gas (used during certain type of surgery) and/or constipation due to pain killers!
Unread 10-25-2021, 08:45 PM

Hi I had a RVH on Oct 8th,2021. I 16 day's post op and still dealing with pain. I did use tramadol the first 4 day's every 6 hours but then I was able to do just tylonal. I use ice packs, heating pad and get up and walk around the house for a few min to manage pain. It will get better as the weeks go by everybody is different in healing. I am a little slower on healing then I want to but I know that I will get there. The important thing is listen to you're body and rest

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register