How long do you have to stay in bed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long do you have to stay in bed? How long do you have to stay in bed?

Unread 10-25-2009, 01:11 AM
How long do you have to stay in bed?

How long after an abdominal hyst do you need to camp out in bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Re: How long do you have to stay in bed?

Typically, after any type of hyst they have you stay in bed the first night. You'll have a catheter so you don't have to get up to urinate. Then, the next day, they'll remove it and have you attempt to go on your own. From that moment onward, you'll be encouraged to get out of bed and take little walks... and will continue that when you get home. Staying in bed much longer than that can mean an increased risk of blood clots, which of course you'd want to avoid after surgery.

Best of luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi. I was in bed the first 2 days because I was in ICU due to the length and complications of my surgery (had an umbilical hernia repair at the same time.) After that, I spent most of my time out of bed as it was more comfortable to sit and walk than to lie down.

The staff will encourage you to get up and move around a lot which is the best way to start building up your strength and healing. I even did my walking with the catheter and epidural still in me!

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2009, 12:53 PM

Walk as soon as possible! It helps with the gas and other unpleasant issues that come with the surgery! I was up the morning after my surgery with a TAH
Unread 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM

I was up the morning after my proceedure. I had a catheter in for 3 days and they still wanted me up and moving around. I had a walker but I wandered the halls once a day. After my catheter was removed I was up much more often because I started getting incredibly bored just lying in bed.
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM

I should have said, how long will I need to stay in bed, after I get home? There are so many posts about setting up your "recovery room", it's got me wondering how long I can expect to lay around once I get home.
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Unless you have pretty serious complications, you won't be staying in bed at home. You will, however, need to take it easy for several weeks. For me, that meant a lot of sitting in the recliner (which was my most comfy spot) watching movies, punctuated by getting up and taking short walks around the house and then the neighborhood. It meant no lifting anything heavy and having to ask people to help with the laundry and shopping and cleaning, but I was never told to stay in bed - in fact, I was told to stay up and about, just take it very easy.

I think what you may be seeing is planning for how to get in and out of bed, which can be challenging if you have an abdominal incision. But a "sickroom" is definitely not needed, imho.

-Linda
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM

I had SAH. They told me to try to walk as much as I could. It really helps to heal, plus there is a smaller possibility of adhesions. First it hurts, esopecially getting up and then lying down again, but it gets better and better each day. It's my 13th day post-op and I still need to lie down every now and then, but I try to stay up longer. Listen to your body and don't overdo it. You'll be fine.
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM

I've had 2 c-sections, I'm wondering if the recovery is similar to that?
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:21 PM

I was told to not stay in bed once home and gradually start doing things you usually do in your everyday life but it is very important to take things very slow and no lifting. You must do short walks throughout the day but rest when you are tired. And most of all remember you have had major surgery and it will take a lot out of you so don't expect miracles you will feel good one day and maybe not so good the other. But you will get there. Good luck and let us know how things go.

And I had an Abdominal hysterectomy where they took everything and I am getting there even though I still get some pain but moving alot easier now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register