Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy 10/3: Reason for urinary catheter after surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/3: Reason for urinary catheter after surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy 10/3: Reason for urinary catheter after surgery?

Unread 09-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/3: Reason for urinary catheter after surgery?

I had no catheter when I woke up. I had great 'fun and games' bathroom-wise that night as I couldn't stand or sit for longer than a minute or so without fainting off, and when they got the commode out so I didn't have to walk down the corridor my bladder apparently got stage fright and refused to work. Eventually they wheeled me down the corridor in a chair and propped me up on the toilet so I could pee at last once we did that I was away but I had a very disturbed night up to that point needing to go but not being able to.

So.... There are some benefits of that catheter for the first night. But I'm with you, I really didn't want one when I woke up, however the pay off was a disturbed night and a lot of shuffling to and from the toilet no matter how sore I was feeling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Excellent information, Ladies.
My biggest worries were that the catheter could lead to an increased risk of a UTI and that it would make me even more uncomfortable. It sounds like most of you didn’t experience issues with catheter pain/discomfort after surgery or infection.
That’s very reassuring.
Unread 09-30-2019, 09:44 PM

A catheter for a few hours is not a bad thing.It does help to not have to get up when they are trying to get your pain controlled. I have had one after 6 pelvic surgeries. It didn't bother me for awhile and then towards morning, I was so ready for it to come out due to bladder spasms. I have had to have one all week after the hysterectomy, it is totally different than for a few hours. It can be a help. Going out is no biggie. You won't feel it going in. You will be under already. Either way this whole thing is scary. Hugs to you.
Unread 10-01-2019, 07:41 PM

I highly recommend you reconsider the catheter. I did not even feel mine but I sure was glad I did not have to get up to use the bathroom while they pumped me full of fluids all night. Like most are saying mine was taken out the next morning and I was released after urinating on my own. Getting up that first time was terrible and I’m so glad I had not had to do it earlier.

Total abdominal hysterectomy 5 weeks ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register